MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-18-2003, 03:40 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default Wed.02/26 - Palmdale, CA. (LACR)

If anyone is interested some friends & I are heading up to LACR in Palmdale, CA. to drag race our cars on the evening of Wed. 02/26. Gates open at 5pm, racing starts at 5:30 & goes until 10pm. We're going on a Wed. because it is a lot less crowded than Fri. nights or Sundays. So far, there's a '00 Lightning going, a modded '96 Firebird Formula, a slightly modded '95 Camaro, a mid 12 sec. '68 Camaro, & a Honda Civic that runs 15.0s...just to name a few. And of course I'm bringing my '90GT. It's been a while since I've been to the track. Can't wait! E-mail me if any of you live close enough to Palmdale & think you might be able to make it.
shad.murray@warnerbros.com

Simi-
Old 02-21-2003, 01:07 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default LACR

Wow, no replies?! No Mustangs in the So.Cal. area with a free Wed. night, huh? We'll be going again at the end of March or beginning of April. If anyone is planning on drag racing their stangs at LACR in Palmdale any time around those dates...please post it, or e-mail me. I'd love to meet up with some of you guys, match a face & car to the name.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:09 PM   #3
95ragtop
Registered Member

Well, I don't own a Stang anymore, but I might be able to make it in my Regal. I was supposed to go to Famoso tomorrow, but my wife got sick, so I have to stay home with the kids. I drive a dark blue 2000 Regal GS. I'm swapping the blower pulley tomorrow, so I am hoping to break into the 14s at LACR. I ran there once stock and pulled a 15.42 uncorrected. So I guess I'd be one of the slowest in the group, oh well. It sounds like you have a good diverse crowd going.

95 Mustang GT Convertible - SOLD
2000 Buick Regal GS (3.4 pulley, gutted airbox w K&N, U-bend, DHP PCM, TOG Headers. Pre-headers PB 14.81 @ 2700ft elevationw 2.25 60 ft)
1967 Electra 225 convertible (360hp)
95ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

There's no way I can make anything on the weeknights until after 4/15. Ugh.

You going to Mustang Drag Day, on the ninth? I'm going if I can find come rims for my other tires.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:58 PM   #5
Simi Stang

Default LACR

Is the Mustang drag day on 03/09? Darn it, I'm going to be in Florida from 03/08 - 03/12. I'll let you know next time we are going though, for sure.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:05 PM   #6
Simi Stang

Default LACR times

Sorry I lagged on posting my times. To tell you the truth I wasn't all that thrilled about them because I didn't end up beating my previous best of 13.2 @ 102mph, like I was hoping to do. It was really cold on 02/26 so I was hoping that would have helped my time out. But it had been raining most of that week, and there was rain clouds looming overhead all night. Luckily it never rained, but there was moisture in the air which aparently didn't help any. The best time I could muster was 13.38 @99.8mph. Keep in mind that this track is at 2700' above sea level. So the correction is just under a half a second. It works out to around .48 & some change, accoreding to their website. Out of all the cars that came with us, everyone was running about 1-2 tenths slower than their previous best & around 2-3mph slower. So I'm thinking that the air quality was the culprit of everyone's slower times. I did however pull off a new best 60ft. time on motor. I've pulled a 1.70 on the juice before...but on the 13.38 run I turned a 1.71 60ft. time. And that was with hardly any water in the burnout box. Lazy track officials & it was getting late. So at least something good came out of the night. I was hoping for a better 1/4 mile time, because I had lightened up my car some since the last time I was at the track. I removed the a/c & put the shorter belt on, took out a bunch of insulation behind the rear panels of the interior, & removed that hunk of metal on the rearend, along with tons of wiring from when I used to have a system in there. All that totaled to almost 100lbs. of weight I removed. As for the nitrous...it was working but the times were horrible because of the cold weather which killed my bottle pressure. I only did two runs on the nitrous. All I could pull was a 13.2 @ 106mph, but with a horrid 2.4 60ft. time. My bottle psi. had to be down in the 700psi. range. I need to invest in a nitrous pressure gauge. I used to have one but must have lost it when I moved. We are going again on 04/11 and hopefully their will be some dryer air for my motor to suck that night & my weight reduction might show up then. The '68 Camaro that came with us had a previous best of 13.0 on drag radials at LACR, so I figured we were going to be a good race...but I thought he might take me. He's got a built 327 with an Edelbrock setup similar to mine...alum. heads w/ 2.02/1.60 valves, intake, lopey cam, 650 carb., 3500 stall w/ 3.73s out back. Well his best time on 02/26 was only a 13.7 @ 97mph. So I was glad to beat him, especially since on his last dyno pull he claims that his motor was putting out just over 400hp.! I guess I have him in the weight department though. So if anyone thinks they can make it out there next month...we are going again on 04/11, which is a Friday. Sorry for the long post. I like to babble...

Last edited by Simi Stang; 03-07-2003 at 01:23 PM..
Old 03-13-2003, 06:01 PM   #7
chico
Registered Member

Default Re: Wed.02/26 - Palmdale, CA. (LACR)

Quote:
Originally posted by Simi Stang
If anyone is interested some friends & I are heading up to LACR in Palmdale, CA. to drag race our cars on the evening of Wed. 02/26. Gates open at 5pm, racing starts at 5:30 & goes until 10pm. We're going on a Wed. because it is a lot less crowded than Fri. nights or Sundays. So far, there's a '00 Lightning going, a modded '96 Firebird Formula, a slightly modded '95 Camaro, a mid 12 sec. '68 Camaro, & a Honda Civic that runs 15.0s...just to name a few. And of course I'm bringing my '90GT. It's been a while since I've been to the track. Can't wait! E-mail me if any of you live close enough to Palmdale & think you might be able to make it.
shad.murray@warnerbros.com

Simi-
Simistang...I have a cousin in Simi Valley who owns a 92 lx with a 7 psi powerdine s/c he's the orig owneer and car only has 43,000 miles on it. This may sound strange but my cousin Pat is blind and cannot drive.He called me wanting to know if I would be interested in going to Palmdale....I live 350 miles north of Simi...He loves 1/4 mile cars and working on them (also pretty knowledgeable) next time you and your friends have something going I know he would love to have someone he can trust to drive his car and join the festivities If not,I was just thinking I understand..he spends alot of time wondering what to do with the days. Let me know we can all use another friend.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:58 PM   #8
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

That track sucks. I would never go there again, its worth taking a drive to Carlsbad and gettin some good timeslips.

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 05:20 PM   #9
Simi Stang

Default LACR

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyman
That track sucks. I would never go there again, its worth taking a drive to Carlsbad and gettin some good timeslips.

Skyler
Skyman-
LACR sucks?? And you say go to Carlsbad?? I've heard Carlsbad is much worse than LACR, as far as track conditions go. Dirt on the track, bumpy, weeds growing through the cement towards the end of the 1320'. Are any of those complaints true? I've yet to trek down there. Is Carlsbad where you usually run? All bitching aside though...my buddies & I plan on hitting up Carlsbad sometime in the next couple of months to do exactly that..."get us some good timeslips". I'd love to officially get a 12 sec. slip on motor & a 11 sec. slip with the juice. Who cares if they kick me off the track for not having a roll cage. That way I'll be forced to install one.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:26 PM   #10
Simi Stang

Default Re: Re: Wed.02/26 - Palmdale, CA. (LACR)

Quote:
Originally posted by chico
Simistang...I have a cousin in Simi Valley who owns a 92 lx with a 7 psi powerdine s/c he's the orig owneer and car only has 43,000 miles on it. This may sound strange but my cousin Pat is blind and cannot drive.He called me wanting to know if I would be interested in going to Palmdale....I live 350 miles north of Simi...He loves 1/4 mile cars and working on them (also pretty knowledgeable) next time you and your friends have something going I know he would love to have someone he can trust to drive his car and join the festivities If not,I was just thinking I understand..he spends alot of time wondering what to do with the days. Let me know we can all use another friend.
Hey chico-
Sorry it took me a while to reply. I went on a little vacation down to Miami. I wouldn't mind at all hooking up with your cousin before we go up to LACR next time. A few questions though...if you don't mind me asking...how did your cousin lose his sight? was it recently? Is he still able to work/tune on his Mustang at all? I'd be more than happy to meet him and talk about going to LACR & of course...about Mustangs! So he wants to sit shotgun while someone (me) drives his car down the 1/4 mile then? I'd definitely be up for that. I usually trailer my car out to LACR, but my wife could always drive the truck & trailer and I could follow in your cousin's stang. My e-mail address is shad.murray@warnerbros.com. Drop me an e-mail with some info. on how you want to do this. I too am always looking for another fellow mustanger to hook up with or lend a hand to.

Shad-