MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 01:27 PM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Thumbs up Weekend Kills. Me VS 2 LS-1's! Tim C vs New Vette!

Well this weekend was pretty darn good for me. Got to go to the 5.0 Civil Wars. Cruised to and from Rockingham with 7 Mustangs (An hour drive). Watched Tim C race a Vette when we got back into Fayetteville. Sunday I got in a race with 2 LS-1s at the same time. My reputation is growing.

I'll start with Tim C's race. On the outskirts of Fayetteville we ran into a snobby looking guy with his trophy girlfriend/wife driving a Red LS-1 Vette. He cut Tim C off (Leading our pack) and wouldnt permit us to pass.

Well, when we got into Fayetteville, Mustang Scoob Provoked Tim C to do a little showing off (Via Hand Radio's that 5 of us had) for the Vette.

Finally the Vette pulled up next to Tim C at a light. Mstng Scoob again provoked him, we all got on and egged Tim C on. The light changed, and you could hear two cars spinning tires. I could barely see what happened, but Tim C's brother and Mustnag Scoob got a good view.

Tim C pulled on the Vette and had a length on him till 75, then the Vette realled him back in and slowly passed him. I was impressed that he pulled on the Vette like he did to 75. RS350 (Tim C's brother....whos a Die Hard GM man) confirmed that Tim C owend the Vette to 75).

Even though Tim ultimatley lost the race, I think he deserves some points for pulling hard on him to the top of third. That was cool.

Sunday on the way home from doing my deposit, I was in the left turning lane of Raeford Rd, turning onto Skibo. I saw a Black LS-1 Z28 SS pull up next to me, and behind me pulled up a Metallic Blue LS1 Z28. We glanced over at one another....It was inevitable..We both knew it. I saw him pull out of a gas station about a mile back while I was flooring my car to merge with traffic. He came up on me quick...He wanted to challenge me.

The light turned and we all (3 lanes wide)fanned out side by side. I was in the middle. SS to my left, Z28 to my right. We straightened out and were all holding first. I was hanging at about 4000 RPM when I thought.Well, I'm not going to wait for these guys to intiate it. I'll need a jump. So I nailed the throttle.

I got a 2 foot jump when they nailed theres. I pulled pretty good through first, and pulled till the top of second. They stopped loosing ground when I hit Third. I had pulled about 5 feet on the SS (5 ft from about front bumper to rear bumper) and it stayed that way to 110...When I let off. I had went further than I had wanted to.

I didnt pay much attention to the Z28 so I dont know where he was, all I know is that he wasnt infront, or beside me.

I talked to the guy in the SS. He said his boy thinks I put something on him..Sprayed. (He had his son in the car). I told him I dont have Nitrouis, or Forced induction. I told him my mods, and he just shook his head. I asked him if it was a 6 spd, and I think I confused him...(Now that I think about the converstation, I think he might of took my question as me telling Him I had a 6 spd) He told me it was a 2000 SS.

He gave me a thumbs up and told me I had a Mean GT. He said he expected me to be an easy kill.

The guy in the Z28 to my right yelled out Nitrouis after I had finished my conversation with the SS guy. I'm not spraying, I dont have Nitrouis. He insisted that I had sprayed on the both of them. I asked him what year and tranny, it was a 2000 Z28 with a 6spd.

By that time the light changed and traffic started moving, we all beeped and gave each other a wave and drove off. Well, I kinda did, my adrenalin was pumping and I was shaking real damn bad. I called Tim C and told him about it. Then after I got off the phone with him, some guys in a Blue Honda with V-tech badging and stickers on the rear quarter WIndows (Imagine that) asked me what I had done to my car and what "Shoot" I had.

It turned out that they saw me take the two LS-1's and were impressed. I told them I wasnt spraying, of course...They didnt believe me, but they still gave me the nod of respect and a thumbs up.

Man, I'm still pumped up about it. It was awesome. Wish I had a camera attached to my car. I would be watching that video for a long long time.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:19 PM   #2
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Nice!! I think a lot of the F-body people cant admit that a mustang can beat the "unbeatable LS1" I dont know why that is. From cruising ls1.com sometimes i see this from a lot of people. I dont understand why the Mustang is made fun of so much, I mean if the Mustang was never made, the camaro and firebirds would never have been made. I have becan to not be biased towards a certain brand. i will always be more loyal to Ford but I dont doubt that i will own a GM product in the future, especially now that they are bringing some of the Holdens over

Anyways nice kills! I wish i could afford a 99+ GT.

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
Old 04-29-2002, 08:53 PM   #3
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Hey Mercury,

It's funny you were in a line of 7 stangs headed to the Rock. The wife and I were behind 7 driving in Sat. morning. Sorry I missed you guys, I looked for the red shirt and camel hat, but just never saw anyone fitting that description. Did have a good time though, it sounds like you guys had fun as well.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:32 PM   #4
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Wow man. I have NEVER heard of a GT with your mods killing LS1's like you do especially to 110 mph. You must be one hell of a driver. Too bad your not close, i'd run ya. I haven't had trouble with the '99 and up GTs yet. But there is always someone quicker.

Get some times...i wanna know what that car is trapping.

'87 GT..5 spd...Stock...14.4 @ 97 SOLD

'90 GT Conv. A4 Cream Puff...14.6 @ 94 SOLD

'99 Z28..A4..Stock stall, no tuning, all motor, full weight 11.92 @ 117.95 SOLD

'03 Centennal Edition GT 5 spd. 1 of 620 5 spd coupes made.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/100th.htm

Stock.....
13.89 @ 99.03

Old 04-30-2002, 12:21 AM   #5
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

91GT Turbo.

We had a Perf Red 99 (35th aniv special ed.) GT, a Perf Red 2000 GT, another Perf Red 2000 GT (Me) and Black 2001 Bullit, a 2001 Silver GT convertable, a 97 Cobra Convert, and a Laser Red 94 GT in the train. Does that sound like the train you saw pull in? We pulled in around 10:30-11:00 ish.

EZRDN.

I drive the living hell out of my car when I'm racing serouisly. I dont think my car is a freak, I just think there are alot of people out there that dont drive there cars to the cars fulliest ability. For example...How many LS-1's have ran at the Fayetteville Track broke into the 12's. One that was stock (Subframes and suspension werent), and he only did it once. Other than him they average 13.5's-13.6's.

I've lost 3 races in my 2000 GT, two of them were to LS-1's. One was to a 2000 GT Auto Vert (Dont Ask). Now, I dont think I have any kind of Racing SuperPowers either, I dont think Me, or my car is special (Well...My car is special to me, but thats about it). I dont Bull SHT, I dont over exagerate (Unless its to make some one laugh). If I get beat, I admit defeat, and do it gracefully, I may hate it, but I'm not a sore loser....Although I hate loosing.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:31 PM   #6
Mstngscoob
Registered Member

i saw it i saw it. tim c blistered *** on that vette. it was hilarious. the vette was weavin in and out trying to break our train until he got smoked. after timc beat him he just sat there looking depressed and left us alone hahaha

good kill/kills merc

2001 suzuki gsxr-600 yoshi pipe, tint screen, helmet, flsh mnts. 4-sale
Old 04-30-2002, 04:50 PM   #7
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury

EZRDN.

I drive the living hell out of my car when I'm racing serouisly. I dont think my car is a freak, I just think there are alot of people out there that dont drive there cars to the cars fulliest ability.
I hear that. Although my LS1 is an auto, but i love it because i drag race so much. Its not the best from a roll right now, but i did run a '99 GT (gears and exhuast) from a roll to 135 and took him pretty good.

I drive the living daylights out of the 5.0 though.....Power shift every gear I am dying to see what ur trapping and running.

My friends were over at Rockingham this past weekend for the Mustang Show. i have a friend that has a 88 Coupe with the heads/cam/intake/suspension/etc/308/...runnin 11.7 @ 115 all motor. Gotta Love that.

Stock.....
13.89 @ 99.03

Old 04-30-2002, 06:50 PM   #8
91GTturbo
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mercury
[B]91GT Turbo.

We had a Perf Red 99 (35th aniv special ed.) GT, a Perf Red 2000 GT, another Perf Red 2000 GT (Me) and Black 2001 Bullit, a 2001 Silver GT convertable, a 97 Cobra Convert, and a Laser Red 94 GT in the train. Does that sound like the train you saw pull in? We pulled in around 10:30-11:00 ish.

Nope, wasn't your group I followed in. Two fox bodied GT's, two 99+ V6's, and three 99+ GT's were in front of me. Since we drove down and stayed the night, we got there right after 9:00. As soon as I get the new heads on my car, I'll have to drive down and meet some of you guys.

Later
Old 05-01-2002, 02:14 PM   #9
KEVSWS6
Registered Member

This has my curiosity up also. What track times are you turning? Could have a factory freak!

http://community.webshots.com/user/kevsws6/
Old 05-03-2002, 10:00 AM   #10
sedanman
Registered Member

I to am finding this a little hard to swallow. I would really like to see a time slip cause you either have a freak or well. At the very least dyno that car. The mods you have and what you claim to beat are very hard to understand something dosen't quite add up. Driver has nothing to do with the fact that neither of the LS1 were pulling on you after 80 or so

Oh well, good kill.

GONE 1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd (Liberty proshifted TKO) S-trim, Ported TF heads everything parted out.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:34 PM   #11
mike_navigator
Registered Member

Talking NAWZ

NAWZ, dont give merc much props. Because his chicken but wouldnt run at rockingham after he brought up running and we were goin to pay for him to run but he said he didnt want to screw up do to the people there... but who actually knew him there only us and a few other guys if he runs at fayetteville its even more packed and its local people so we made fun of merc for the rest of the day.. But its all good

mike
admin of
www.v8tec.com
Old 05-04-2002, 01:10 AM   #12
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Believe me if you like, or dont. It doesnt make much diffrence to me. LS-1's arent invincible. Those werent the first two, and they wont be the last ones either. I took both of them to the cleaners.

I dont Bull Sht, kinda for the same reason I dont go to strip clubs......Its all fantasy, and dreaming; and fantasy stuff doesnt do me no good. Thats not what gets me my shts and giggles. Lying and BSing doesnt do anything for me, nor does a big man image, especially if it would have to be aquired through Lies.

As for my time slips, I havent run at the track. I hope to, but since I work late shifts I dont often get the time, and when I do get those respective days off, its almost always inconvient because of prior plans.

I'd love to dyno my car, but that costs money, and time. Niether do I have much of.

Its true I was offered money to run at Rockingham, I think the total was up to 20 dollars if I would run. But I did chicken out. Not because I dont think I'd run good times, but because I know I'd get so nervous and try to stage at the 60ft or 8th mile mark.

Members here might not have any more reason to believe my friends that post here, but if you doubt me, ask The Gang (Tim C, RS350, The Sandman, Mike Nav, Budman94GT, MustangScoob) They'll tell ya I either have a freak or I drive the living pisss out of my car.

On a related note....I've seen people turn in Mid 15's with a Z-06, heard of Lightings running similar times. Lot of its driver, even of the street where things can be even more difficult.

I'd think though that I would fare just as well against the BIG BAD LS-1's at the track. There tuff stuff, and I give them respect, but there not inviciable by any means. I dont know why people seem to be so surprised when I beat them (Or in two cases, lost by very little).

I've taken them from rolls, and from stops. And yes, they did Know I was racing them.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Old 05-04-2002, 04:31 AM   #13
explicitone
Registered Member

Dont worry merc. I give you props on droppin those ls1s and yes they are beatable I have seen modded ls1s run 15s when mustangs the same night with less power running 12s and 13s yes the ls1s were having traction probls but thats racing its always about the power its also if you can put it down and if you can drive it I have been beaten be some ls1s and I have beat them and when I do lose its at the top of third at around 85 that the pass me but not by much. So again congrats on taking down one of GMs bad boys

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 05-04-2002, 07:35 PM   #14
sedanman
Registered Member

Quote:
Believe me if you like, or dont. It doesnt make much diffrence to me. LS-1's arent invincible. Those werent the first two, and they wont be the last ones either. I took both of them to the cleaners.
I never said they were invincible, I just don't think you are packin enough to take them down on a regular bases, sorry.

Quote:
I dont Bull Sht, kinda for the same reason I dont go to strip clubs......Its all fantasy, and dreaming; and fantasy stuff doesnt do me no good. Thats not what gets me my shts and giggles. Lying and BSing doesnt do anything for me, nor does a big man image, especially if it would have to be aquired through Lies.
Maybe you just exagerated it a little

Quote:
As for my time slips, I havent run at the track. I hope to, but since I work late shifts I dont often get the time, and when I do get those respective days off, its almost always inconvient because of prior plans.

I'd love to dyno my car, but that costs money, and time. Niether do I have much of.

Quote:
Its true I was offered money to run at Rockingham, I think the total was up to 20 dollars if I would run. But I did chicken out. Not because I dont think I'd run good times, but because I know I'd get so nervous and try to stage at the 60ft or 8th mile mark.
uh, yeah

Out of curiosity what do you think it will run

Quote:

On a related note....I've seen people turn in Mid 15's with a Z-06, heard of Lightings running similar times. Lot of its driver, even of the street where things can be even more difficult.

Uh, yeah ok What a 4.5 60ft.
Old 05-04-2002, 07:41 PM   #15
sedanman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by explicitone
Dont worry merc. I give you props on droppin those ls1s and yes they are beatable I have seen modded ls1s run 15s when mustangs the same night with less power running 12s and 13s yes the ls1s were having traction probls but thats racing its always about the power its also if you can put it down and if you can drive it I have been beaten be some ls1s and I have beat them and when I do lose its at the top of third at around 85 that the pass me but not by much. So again congrats on taking down one of GMs bad boys
I keep checking your sig for a NOS kit, otherwise I see no way you could take a LS1 car. I am sorry but you guys are killing me, have you ever rode in one of these car! I mean look at Ezridn's new car BONE STOCK 99 LS1 AUTO 2.73's!! His car is running 13.51@104.25!! And that was on the stock worn goodyears!! With the power a LS1 car has it could spin to the 1/8 mile and not run 15's come on. That would be like talking about H/C/I/E 5L running 15's. I don't expect you to like these cars (after all I don't ) But give them the respect they deserve!!
Old 05-04-2002, 09:35 PM   #16
Mstngscoob
Registered Member

i must say that i am a friend of mercs and i have never known him to bullsht anyone. it may be hard to believe but it is capable of happening. now as for runnin at the fay track.......cmon merc my slow *** car sucked *** but i still did it. tim c offered to pay your salary for that day. you mean to tell me that being as high up on the managerial scale as you are at work, you dont get to take a day or night off here and there. you ahve no reason to back out and if you schedule it right ill go when you do and split your salary with tim c

2001 suzuki gsxr-600 yoshi pipe, tint screen, helmet, flsh mnts. 4-sale
Old 05-04-2002, 11:51 PM   #17
2000stanggirl
Registered Member

Granted, I'm a newbie to this board, and I happen to be female....BUT I want to chime in anyway.

I will admit I have never driven a newer Z28, and I do have great respect for them. That being said, I have taken one down by a respectable distance from a stop in a slightly modded '00 GT. It was some high school kid....so maybe he just didn't know how to handle it....maybe it was a fluke, but it did happen.

I'm not sure of the performance differences of T/A's and Z28's (I've never been even the slightest bit interested in Camaros) but I owned a 94 T/A 6 spd. and the GT doesn't seem to have as much HP as the T/A did, but it out-handles it by FAR! I assume the Z28's are pretty much like the T/A's in handling.

Also, it isn't just about rwhp. Just because you lay it to the ground, doesn't mean it takes you anywhere. Tire grip can win or lose a race.

I say great kill Merc. Only you know what happened out there on the streets and it when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks (believes) and great car!! LOL

2000 Performance Red Mustang GT

Current Mods:
Flowmaster Catback
MAC Cold Air Induction w/ K&N
March U/D Pulleys
Hypertech Power Programmer III
17X9 Cobra R Rims
White Face Gauges
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

Future Mods:
3.73's or 4.10's?
O/R X-pipe,
Lowering springs
maybe even a NOSzel kit?!?!?

The Stang
Old 05-05-2002, 12:55 AM   #18
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

SedanMan

I guess you havent been around long enough, or read enough posts to see that for four months I dated a girl that owns a 2001 Trans Am WS-6, 6spd.

I drove the car on several occasions, and drove it hard more than once. I raced her several times and beat her every time. Once infront of the Parking Lot (Saturday night Hot Rod hang out.).

Mstng Scoob, Tim C, Budman, Mike Nav all saw that one. Along with quite a few others that dont post here. The lot also wittnessed Tim C handing a Modified LS-1 Bird his lunch before.

For me to even guess at my times would be Rice in a way. So I'm not even gonna try it. As for the free time I get to run at the track Sedan Man, roll your eyes if you'd like, but being a manager and all, I dont see much free time during the weekend. Fayetteville Track doesnt have Test and Tune on Weekends either.

It does not take Spray or forced induction for a Mustang to beat an LS-1.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:18 AM   #19
Tinseltown349
Registered Member

Back a couple posts here, 99 LS1's don't run 2.73 gearing...It's more to the tune of 3.42's.
Mods to 2000 Mustang GT- Vortech SQ supercharger, 3.73 gears, full Maximum Motorsports suspension treatment, 13" Brembo front brakes, 70mm TB, BBK Long-tube headers and H-pipe, Bassani Cat-back exhaust system, Trans-Go shift-kit and trans cooler.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:16 AM   #20
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinseltown349
Back a couple posts here, 99 LS1's don't run 2.73 gearing...It's more to the tune of 3.42's.
How do you get that. I HAVE an LS1 that has 2.73 gears in it. The autos came with either 2.73's (GU2) or the performance axle which includes 3.23's (GU5). the Six speeds have 3.42 (GU6) gears.

Merc...i say you could beat an LS1. i Beat a couple in the 1/8 in my stangs which ran 14.0s. But after the 1/8 to about low 100's the LS1's pulled like mad. Seeing how most Stangs with your mods run low 14's and a couple high 13's at 99-100 or so, thats what makes it so tough to believe. i go to the track a couple times a week and have gone for years.

As far as not wanting to run the car???? You run all the time on the street and not on the track???!!! OK? Man you cannot pull me off the track. Its safer, and you get some times, and even start, don't have to worry about who kicks it first BS. If you had done that then people might not question you as much. The first time is always the most nervous---heck Sedanman is the first person to take me to the track years ago.....and i thank him so much for that. If he wouldn't have i would still be like you runnin on the street and getting BS races .

Sedanman is a straight shooter also, but without times you are beating, by a pretty good distance, some powerful cars.

I like your car man, and appreciate anyone who can drive them well. Get some times and/or dyno numbers. As for not having the time or money, SAVE some, get some time off and have fun at the track where the races are even starts and side by side. None of that he was behind me and i was pulling him crap. Anyways. Like i said i wish we were close for some friendly races.

Stock.....
13.89 @ 99.03

Closed Thread