MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-18-2001, 04:48 PM   #1
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Red face What about what was the most embarrassing race you've had?

I am not sure if I had posted this story before, but it was the worst. I've had others, but I mean, come on.

I was taking a movie back to Hollywood Video with my girlfriend when a white 94-97 white transam pulls next to me on the street. The car was occupied by two lesbians more manly than John Wayne (i hate these people). They were laughing and kept lunging while driving. I gunned it and what do they do? They don't. Since I wasn't in the mood to get a ticket, I slowed down. When they caught up, they lunge again. I pass the video store deciding to keep on the road until a light then I'll shut them up. We finally get to a light. My girlfriend ducks down under the window (i dont know why) and I yell over to them "Ok! Now dont **.ck up!" I staged. Light turnes green and I go! This was at a busy intersection so everyone was watching. Hit 2nd.....or did I? I've never grinded 2nd gear worse in my life. It was so loud and humiliating. But I was winning.. How? Cuz the damn he-shes pull off the road and pull into a gas station. All the humiliation for nothing. Luckily the only thing that hurt was my pride and not the car.

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, GT-40Y Turbo Swirl aluminum heads, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, adjustable fuel regulator 14.4@100 MPH on G-tech;96 at track. (Sad, i know. This is with the stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 09:59 AM   #2
justjoe
Registered Member

My most embarrassing race was also my first race in the Cobra.I pulled up to a stop light next to a trans am also.it was bright red.When we pull out i hear him gun it so put my foot to the floor and caught up to him.I pull up ahead of him and screwed up shifting into third. They guys in the birdy blow by me laughing all the way.

------------------
'95 mustang cobra w/cobra R wheels and a k&n filter. mostly stock now but not for long
justjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 09:45 PM   #3
dashapht
Registered Member

It sucked when i raced an 01 SS 6 spd in my coupe with just exhaust and 3.73s. heh. i was spanked.

For the record, i mean I had the 3.73 and the exhaust, not the SS.

------------------
93 Reef Blue Notchback, 72k miles (August 2001), TFS TW Heads, TFS Stage 1 Cam, TFS Track Heat Intake, 1.6 RR's, 70mm TB, Cold Air ,76mm MAF Meter, 24lb injectors, AFPR, Edelbrock Water Pump, Be Cool Radiator, Mac 1 5/8" Long Tube Headers, 2.5" Pro Chamber, Flowmaster 2 CH 2.5" Cat Back, 3.73 , Alum Driveshaft, Auburn Differential, 17x9 Cobra Rs with Nitto 555s, Tri-Ax Shifter.

Planning on a 100 shot

Best ET of 8.73 @ 79.2 in 1/8th when it was stock from TB to oil pan. New times to com

[This message has been edited by dashapht (edited 08-25-2001).]
dashapht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 09:56 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Ive posted this before, but when I had my BONE stock, automatic, 1995 v6 mustang, probably putting about 105hp to the wheels, my friends got me to race an 11sec RX-7. They say every 1/10th of a second in the quarter is about a car length on the street, well my stang was probably a mid 17 sec car, and this guy did beat me by a good 60 car lengths! It was the most pathetic street race I've ever been involved in, and to this day, my stupid friends still laugh about it. The worst part is, if I ever do run into the RX-7 again, he'd still be able to waste me.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Bassani X-pipe, Magnaflow Mufflers, Steeda Pulleys, K&N Filter. Steeda Weld in Subframes, Strut Tower brace, Sport Springs, Caster/Camber Plates.

Red 1994 Mustang Cobra #4343
Pulleys, Shorty Headers, K&N filter, short throw shifter.
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 11:15 PM   #5
AtaxicStanger
Registered Member

Maybe more like awe inspiring!

About 2 hrs ago my brother and I were cruising when we came across a fully built, tubbed, big wide slicked, wheelie barred, camaro with a giant hood, making a "funny" whirring sound.

I "RACED" him but it wasn't really a race. At the GO, his front tires lifted off the ground about an inch and he was GONE.

I have never been beaten so bad, so quick in my entire life.

He stopped in the middle of the road and waited for me to catch up and he did it again.

Later I pulled alongside at a light. He was grinning from ear to ear. I asked him what he ran and he said "LOW 9's".

It wasn't quite a "street legal" car. He was just out cruising on a nice night hoping the cops wouldn't hassle him.

Al
AtaxicStanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 11:46 PM   #6
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I was on the highway cruising with my friend bout to go to a club, when this porsche 944 or 928 something like that pulls beside me, he had his chick with him, they were looking at me with a grin so i stomped on the gas, then all of a sudden i hear turbos spool up and he left me like i grabbed the parking brake my car was stock all the way down to the box and air silencer, and 3.08's but it sucked makes me want to get a blower.

------------------
90 lx coupe:5spd, 176k miles, steeda water pump pulley, Mac cold air fenderwell, Mac h-pipe, supercoil, ADS chip, aluminum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

next mods:4.10's
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 11:18 AM   #7
D&R Stang

the worst for me would have to be my first race with my 88GT. I had just sold my 69 stang with a TCI C-4 two weeks before, and I had been driving that car for 6 years. Needless to say, it had been a while since I had driven a 5 speed. I took the stang to the local cruise spot and met up with a few friends of mine and a couple of guys came up to me and my buddy with an 85, and asked if we wanted to run em. They both had SN-95 GT's that were probably stock. My friend wasted them both pretty badly, then I went up to the starting point and staged. I spun a little on the launch, and when I hit 2nd I pulled on him like he was going backwards. The problem came when I went to hit third, the tranny just completely refused to take it. I couldn't hit third to save my life!! After about three quick attempts to put it in third, I got so pissed and just pulled a "Dukes of Hazzard" U-turn in the middle of the road with my tires screaming. I went back to the line and said "I wanna go again!" So we did.
On the launch this time I spun like crazy (probably because I was so pissed), then I hooked and grabbed second, only to miss third again.
The next time I went back to that spot was two weeks later, after I had put an adjustable clutch quadrant and cable in the car, I found out that the same guy I raced had totalled his car and so I'll never get to try him again. I still get mad about this whenever I think of it.
Dave

------------------
Dave & Robin 88 GT, T5
306, polished crank, Speed Pro Powerforged pistons, ARP rod bolts, underdrive pulleys, cold air induction, 73mm MAF, Xtreme Energy Cam, 3.73's, 1 5/8 unequal length headers, Offroad H-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, turn-downs, King Cobra Clutch, Steeda adjustable clutch cable with firewall adjuster

[This message has been edited by D&R Stang (edited 08-20-2001).]
Old 08-20-2001, 05:31 PM   #8
ed1371
Registered Member

My first time at the track I lined up with a VW bug...I was laughing and so were a few of my friends. A bug? Why would they even go to the track?? My car was damn stock but I KNEW this was going to be an easy win.
Tree lights, I was sleeping (1.3 r/t!) and then proceeded to spin then a little while.
He FLEW down the track, I was amazed...
no way could a bug beat a mustang!
well, his 12.3 beat my 15.2 lol
I took a bunch of crap when I rolled around from my friends...then I showed them the time slip.

beware the bug...
ed1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 01:19 PM   #9
Power
Registered Member

I recall awhile back seeing a newer camaro ahead of me on the freeway here and speeding up to it to see if there was any interest in racing. My car is by no means fast, and I don't really treat it hard anyway as the old girl needs a rebuild. But I was interested in just playing around. When I got up to the car though it had an old man and his wife in it. I swear this guy looked to be about 70 years old. Sure that there wouldn't be a race with him I started to speed up again to pass him. But he looked over at me and grinned and hit it. I was too shocked to do anything but watch as he just pulled away and left me cruising in my lane. His car was most likely stock and I might have been able to push it pretty good but I was in too much awe of what i had just seen. I hope I'm the same way when I get to that age.

Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 02:12 PM   #10
byrnech
Registered Member

I have two, one that happened at the track and one that happened on the street. The one at the track was more embarrasing because there were lots of people around. I was at Houston raceway park on a bracket night just screwing around. I got to the line and staged, there was a real piece of junk pick up racing me. I was waiting at the ambers and my car was idleing rough, right as the green light is about to flash my stang dies. I cranked it up and was way too jumpy, i revved it and just dumped it. the tires just went up in smoke through the first two gears. And I went out in the first round. The people in the stands probably thought I just slept on the light and just rev'd it and let'er rip. The second time I was driving the I-45 N. in Houston and a black SS was pulling up to me and wanted to race. So I was acting all cocky and was like let's do this. We gave it a go and i pulled out pretty good like at least 3 car lengths, then kind of slowed down to see if they still wanted to play. Nothing, well I was approching my exit so I started to get off. Right as I'm exiting the driver rolls down the window, it's a totally hot chick. she just kind of waved like too bad you didn't stop to talk to me. I felt like a total moron after that. Now after I race I try to be more sociable after, you never know who's in the car.

------------------
AFR 185's, TFS-R intake, HI-6 ignition w\PS-92 coil, C&L 76mm MA, 30lb injectors, MAC 70mm TB, MAC 1 3/4 long tubes, 2 1/2 Dr. Gas X-pipe, MAC 2 1/2 cat back, FPS 331 being built.
byrnech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 02:36 PM   #11
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

The following race story "created" the current incarnation of the Yellowjacket...

I just had my 98 GT for about 4 months when I took it to the track for the first time.
My first time slip was a 15.3.... (Boy, how far she's come...)

Anyway, my last run was against this HIGHLY modified Honda Civic with some HUGE turbo I could hear spooling up in the burnout box and up to the lights.....

This thing had some drag race suspension on it and slicks on the front....
NOTHING was left on the inside except two seats...
Even back then I had to hold back a giggle....

Of course he spanked me, but it was all from the hole shot.
That light frame shot away at the green with the help of the slicks...

The scary part is that halfway down the strip he didn't pull on me anymore....
His time: 13.3 at somwhere around 92 or 93.... (like I said, all in the launch...)

Then began the quest of never letting something like that happen again....

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
381.8 rwhp 377.6 rwtq

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 03:19 PM   #12
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Here's a bad one I had but got revenge in the end.

I bought a 92 LX Hatch Automatic 5.0 in October 1992 it was a left over demo car. 6 months after I bought it I was hanging out at the local race spot and some friends of mine set me up with this Red 93 GT. It had welds on it but was dead silent, by then I had flows on my car. They set us up for a race and I quickly found out he had a 8psi Vortech under the hood and he killed me. I raced till 60MPH and he was easily 20 cars in front. Everyone was busting on me for months.

Now the good part. About 3 years later, after a T-5 swap, Carb conversion, headers, exhaust, ported stock heads, gears and some nitrous (about 190HP worth) we meet back up again one night while cruising the beach. Now at the time he had run a best of 10.90@124. He had his girlfriend with him and he thought he was king of the hill. We went from a 2nd gear roll on a less traveled part of the road and I instantly pulled a car on him, into 3rd he started to reel me in, then to 4th he stopped gaining and sat at my door. It was great, we let off and he was ripped. He ended up saying lets run again, this time he adjusted his boost controler. We turned around and did it again, same results except he got up to my fender and neither of us would let up. Finally I realized I was killing my motor and backed off at 6600RPM's. He turned left burning out everywhere and I made a U-turn to head home. That's when I noticed it the motor was dying bad, making all kinds of noise and had very little power.

I limped it home and found out later than I colapsed 4 lifter and bent 8 push rods. Fixed it all within a week. Then less than a month later I made some passes during test and tune on street tires and was running 12.2-12.4 at 124MPH. I think the only reason he didn't catch me after he upped his boost was because of the heat, blower cars slow down when they get hot. That was great revenge.

Bill

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys & Timing Adjuster, C&L 80mm, 4.30’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR Pro Series LCA’s, Lakewood 70/30’s & 50/50’s, 253.8 RWHP/292.8RWTQ
Best ET 12.91
Best MPH 105.49
M/M 100, 7085
2001 Mod Motor Shootout 2V NA Champion

Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 03:26 PM   #13
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Thumbs down

The first post I put up may or not be as bad as this one. I have posted this story before, so this may be a review for some, but it does belong in this category thats for sure. My ex was going out with this slobbed out kid in a 97 z28 with SS emblems on it (who is he kidding?) and for some reason, he wanted to race me BADLY. Being a bit cocky, I told everyone he wouldn't have a chance against me since his car is stock. This kid tells everyone that his car runs 13.4 stock and that its an SS. However, he just has the emblems. Does he have the hood? No. Does he have the one pipe exhaust? No. Well surely he has the White and Orange striped paint job right? No(yes i know there are some BLACK ones which he does have). So anyway, after a few weeks of throwing ideas back and forth through people, I was pulling out of my neighborhood one day and see him drive by. I had just gotten my 3.55s put in and decided to test them out on his a$s. I raced up to him. Going 50MPH I downshift to 2nd. NOOOOO! RPMs shot up to 5500 and I shifted. By then he has pulled a car length on me. I could not catch up. I lost. Now it wasn't from a start, I know, but I did not make much of an impression. He was laughing, flicking me off, and gave me a thumbs down(original). I was never more pissed in my life. Now he has a cat-back and a..well I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he has a *functioning* ram air hood. But NOPE, not the SS's hood. I want to race him again, but I am not sure if I will win. I know his car does not run 13.4s stock. Even with his new mods he couldn't w/out slicks. My 94 Z28 has FULL exhaust, cold air, shift kit, ignition, and 3.42s and it only runs 13.8. (it used to run 13.5. It needs a tune-up) But still, I am worried. I want to humiliate him. Since I can't pull a tough incident that I have posted up on another topic, cuz he won't fight me, I kinda have to win. Well, you guys see my sig. What do you think?

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, GT-40Y Turbo Swirl aluminum heads, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, adjustable fuel regulator 14.4@100 MPH on G-tech;96 at track. (Sad, i know. This is with the stock heads)
Old 08-24-2001, 02:33 AM   #14
jwboner
Registered Member

Unhappy

The worst time I've ever had was one night when I haven't had my car very long and never even power shifted in it yet. Well it was a cold and was late at night, my car loaded down with friends I was taking back home. My car hadn't warmed up at all yet when I roll up to a red light where an early 90s camaro was. He revved a lot and really wanted to run. It was about 3am, I had something like 600lbs of extra people, and I didn't have any race experience. They talked me into it. I take off hard and run it up to 6000 in first and had him beat by three or four lenghts and instead of keeping my head in the game I just had to take a look back at him and I missed my shift to second, revving it to 7000 and blowing the coolant bypass hose and spewed antifreeze everywhere. It even sprayed all over my windshield and couldn't see. I hit the brakes, he finally flies by me, I pull over where a cop pulls right up behind me(who would have busted me if I had run just a little longer) and asks whats the trouble as he didn't know. My friends were all laughing as I try to explain it to the cop. As soon as he leaves I see the camaro come back around and U turn in front of me laughing and squeals his tires on his way off. And I was left finishing my trip home stopping every 3 miles to let it cool down because I had no coolant.

------------------
65 fastback
347 DFI injected, TFS heads, T5, 4.11 9", tc subframe conns, torq thrust D's
A little history lesson using today's tech.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 04:34 PM   #15
Ashliegh
Registered Member

Red face

My most embarasing race was about a month after I got my 87 Saleen Stang. I was out with my cousin at the local street races. I pulled up to this really nice looking black 87 Saleen Mustang. The guy driving it just looked at me as if I were stupid. (I had no idea at the time that this guy had a reputation and had never been beat on the street or the track)So I reved the ingine. We start to go and before I could even hit 3rd he was at least 6 car lengths ahead of me. I ended up getting my revenge on him about 2 months later. And now I'm married to him!!!
Ashliegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 08:57 PM   #16
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Holy Sh.it jwboner. Thats the worst one yet. Now I don't feel as bad! Oh yea, remember the slob I mentioned in my previous post? Well, this guy screwed with me AGAIN this morning. I say screwed because I could not race. I starved my motor from using synthetic oil (i dont know how/why. I guess my motor doesn't like it) and I had to get it rebuilt. I have to take it easy or else history might repeat itself (only a few tank fills). This sucked so bad, I am pretty sure I can take him now too. This tub of sh.it thinks I am a puss too and today only made him feel more right!

------------------
Old 08-26-2001, 01:39 AM   #17
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Sorry to get off the subject, but slowstang, im getting pissed just hearing that story, cuz my g/f's ex b/f has a wannabe gto (le mans) with a 455 and supposedly fast, but i never ran him...yet, but even though i am an all motor kind of dude, i say get nos! about a 125 shot, especialy if your motor is rebuilt it'll handle it fine, and watch that wannabe ss disapear in your mirror

nos is great i found out first hand the other night.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 03:50 AM   #18
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Talking

Blind date with another couple about 10 yrs ago.. the 4 of us in my'87 stock GT. After a stop @ DQ for milkshakes and ice cream, we're cruising to the movie theatre. Beside me pulls up a nice ole '57 Chevy with an older guy driving. He revved and I guess wanted to see what the 19 yr old punk with the puny 302 had. Well, unfortunately, I was the only one who noticed this guy. Apparently, the other 3 in my car were in an in-depth conversation in which I got easily sidetracked. I kicked it down into 2nd and proceded to have some fun. The screaming in my car got louder than the engine so I had to let off after only a couple seconds. I turned to see that my date spilled her milkshake in her lap and had the straw stuck up her nose while the girl in the back had her ice cream cone all over her face and the other guy was cussing me. Needless to say I didn't have another date with that girl and I didn't even get to finish the race. Oh well!!
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 04:04 AM   #19
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Talking

One other quickie to add. In college one weekend I went to spend the weekend at a friend's house. I had just put 3.55's, new clutch, and cut-outs on so I was feeling pretty good about my car. Driving down the 4 lane with my friend and his girlfriend, an S-10 pickup pulls up along side and wants to race. Unfortunatly in a strange town I didn't know any vehicles there. I dropped down to 2nd only to see his tailgate that said "Bad 327" and a narrowed rear end and watched him pull about 5 car lengths on me before even shifting to 3rd. The guys girlfriend said: "I thought you said this car was fast".
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 07:05 PM   #20
SlowStang2
Registered Member

90dpscoupe, yea I have thought of that myself. Since my car has been rebuilt it has a ticking coming from the pushrods. I didnt know i had to get different ones with my new heads, but I have ran my car hard recently and it does have more power. I want to see what it runs right now and get some suspension done(ordered steeda's strut tower and subframes) before I go back to power. That would be priceless wouldn't it? ..Just seeing him grin at glory only to see it go down in flames...I'll give it some more thought if my car isn't at least running 13s, beleive me.

------------------