MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: What ET deserves the title of "quick" daily driven street car?
11.0 - 11.5 5 9.80%
11.6 - 12.0 9 17.65%
12.1 - 12.5 8 15.69%
12.6 - 13.0 13 25.49%
13.1 - 13.5 14 27.45%
13.6 - 14.0 1 1.96%
14.1 - And beyone hope 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-22-2002, 09:42 PM   #21
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by red82gt
My car does low 13's, I drive it daily from march to november and there's still plenty of faster cars out there, I vote for 12.0-12.5.
Another question, does it have to run these times with the same tires you daily drive on? If so, that puts my car back to the high 13's.
Yes. A "specialty tire" such as a drag radial only for the track wouldn't qualify as my opinion as a daily driver you'd get caught in the rain with, take mom to the airport 45 minutes away etc. It'd be a car you'd drive to/from work daily, put 12,000-15-.000 miles on yearly and do nothing but regular maintenance, regular fill-ups of gasonline and occasional car washes/vacuums.

Old 11-23-2002, 04:15 PM   #22
Aquaman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 302 LX Eric
Jeez Dude! What's your daily commute...200 miles?!?! Didn't know that Carmel, IN was that big? lol

E
LOL, I take alot of trips to Cincy, Columbus, Chicago, Cleveland, Carlisle Pa. Plus I lived about 40 miles from work. not to mention I street race every Fri and sat night weather permiting and usually put on a good 150 miles onm those night's.

When I am off work and the wifes working I usually hit the back roads and sometimes end up a long way from home. It's too much fun to drive , can't just let it sit there looking pretty
Old 11-23-2002, 07:40 PM   #23
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I'm going to have to say aquaman is right, i'd say a new Corvette is a quick (actually.....fast) street car that can be pretty much driven year round (except maybe during snow and ice).

Don't Corvettes have traction control that you can turn on and off?

I'd also say the new Cobras fit that description as well.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
Old 11-23-2002, 10:47 PM   #24
Janeofalltrades

Default Mid to low 13s

My vote: daily driver....mid to low 13s. For my "fast daily driver" I'd take a BMW 745i. The ultimate driving machine. Would always keep a Stang in the garage though!

Jennifer
aka Jane of all Trades

Old 11-23-2002, 11:07 PM   #25
Coupe50h
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by red82gt
My car does low 13's, I drive it daily from march to november and there's still plenty of faster cars out there, I vote for 12.0-12.5.
Another question, does it have to run these times with the same tires you daily drive on? If so, that puts my car back to the high 13's.
I agree with red82.....

you think an 8lbs of s-trim would make me a fast street car? way i see it, when you get down to the low 12's, your gonna have traction problems without slicks, therefor on the streets you can actually be slower than the next 13.0 car due to traction loss.

My friend had a coupe that ran a forged 347 carbed motor, still had a/c, and started up everyday, i wouldnt say it got the best mileage with the double pumper, but he would drive to the coast every so often (3 hr drive), and run 12.0's with d.o.t's on the weekends, now is no longer streetable.

also another vote for a c5 and new cobra.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Old 11-24-2002, 02:09 AM   #26
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

20LbsBoost you seem to be making a lot of rules for this stuff. No N2O, no sticky tires.

As for N2O, it sure as hell does count. I plan on building my motor for a 250hp shot (Not my 2.3). Just because I have to fill a bottle up doesn't mean it doesn't count. I can use it on the the street just as easy as I can on the the track. I don't see how N2O can be called "cheating" it does the EXACT same thing as a turbo or a blower, it adds more O2 into the cylinder. It just does it a different way. Just because it's in a bottle doesn't make it cheating.

I know MANY people who take their dailey drivers to the track with a pair of slicks or drag radials in the back.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 11-24-2002, 12:38 PM   #27
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
20LbsBoost you seem to be making a lot of rules for this stuff. No N2O, no sticky tires.

As for N2O, it sure as hell does count. I plan on building my motor for a 250hp shot (Not my 2.3). Just because I have to fill a bottle up doesn't mean it doesn't count. I can use it on the the street just as easy as I can on the the track. I don't see how N2O can be called "cheating" it does the EXACT same thing as a turbo or a blower, it adds more O2 into the cylinder. It just does it a different way. Just because it's in a bottle doesn't make it cheating.

I know MANY people who take their dailey drivers to the track with a pair of slicks or drag radials in the back.
Exactly. Basically, anything he doesn't do is not allowed.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
Old 11-24-2002, 05:31 PM   #28
20LbsBoost

Quote:

Now don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say sticky tires wouldn't be used on a daily driver. I said "A "specialty tire" such as a drag radial only for the track wouldn't qualify in my opinion as a daily driver you'd get caught in the rain with" Let me emphasize "only on the track". If you drive your car every day with a drag radial and feel comfortable driving it in a downpour at the posted speed limit then that would fit my definition of a daily driven street tire....see what I mean?

As far as NOS not fitting my deifinition of a daily driven street set-up here goes; What's required of a daily driven factory stock Ford Taurus or leased S-10 pickup? Gas, oil and filter changes...you know, standard regular maintenance. NOS is an add-on requiring special attention over and above that of any other car on the road. Having to stop every hundred miles for gasoline is normal for all cars, stopping for NOS fill-ups IS NOT, so that's out.

This shouldn't be complicated. Just compare what you do to a standard Ford Econoline van and use that as the definition of "daily driver". Just look at what your neighbor drives to work and what type of attention that requires to go to-and-fro...that's it, easy enough.

NOS, non DOT drag slicks and other special add-ons or tweaks that you NEED in order to run 12.1's (to me) isn't considered a daily driver set-up. Nuff said....

Old 11-24-2002, 05:35 PM   #29
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquaman
I run 12.5's in my car with no maintenace other then oil change and many many brake pads. I drive it year round and put about 40K a year on the vette's always have. I use the same tires that came on the car, (RunFlats), change the oil every 3000 miles, get 30 mpg on long trips where I average 90mph and listen to any CD I want in A/C comfort. Thats a pretty good daily driver for my tastes. Oh and I can flip a switch anytime I want and run mid 11's not bad
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. The perfect definition of a daily driver!

Old 11-24-2002, 05:39 PM   #30
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
Exactly. Basically, anything he doesn't do is not allowed.
Now that was cheap I already said I don't have a car that fits into my own descriptions of "daily driver". What else do you want? They don't my definition since I won't drive either of my cars in the rain, snow or salt.

Last edited by 20LbsBoost; 11-24-2002 at 05:54 PM..

Old 11-25-2002, 12:05 AM   #31
tireburner163

Quote:
Originally posted by 20LbsBoost
As far as NOS not fitting my deifinition of a daily driven street set-up here goes; What's required of a daily driven factory stock Ford Taurus or leased S-10 pickup? Gas, oil and filter changes...you know, standard regular maintenance. NOS is an add-on requiring special attention over and above that of any other car on the road. Having to stop every hundred miles for gasoline is normal for all cars, stopping for NOS fill-ups IS NOT, so that's out.
There is a big difference between a leased 4 banger S-10 and a person's beloved stang. People are willing to go a little farther for a special car. My neighbor washes his truck with dish-soap and a dirty rag. Does that mean that I shouldn't take 2 hours detailing mine?

N2O requires special attention?, your talking about a 10 minute stop once every week or two. Wouldn't that cool down time for your turbo be "special attention"?

One of my friends has a 150hp shot on his Firebird. It is his dailey driver, he has no other car. When he sprays a guy, he just whooped him in his dailey driver. So YES N2O DOES count.

Shouldn't the definition of a dailey driver be......oh I don't know....the car you drive everyday?

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 11-25-2002, 01:16 AM   #32
stevstum
Registered Member

Does 20lbsofboost even have an interest in Mustangs...No

Why are you even on this board! Why don't you go post on thirdgen.org or some GM board!

89 LX 5.0 5sp, Removed air silencer
Mac High Flow Air Filter
Motorcraft 8mm wires
Autolite platinum plugs
Mac O/R h-pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder
3:55 gears
Accel Super Coil (42,000)
75 mm Mass Air Meter
Old 11-25-2002, 03:48 PM   #33
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

my idea of a quick street car is my nova. I can drive it around on the street with no problems and still run mid to low 10's at the track.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:32 PM   #34
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by stevstum
Does 20lbsofboost even have an interest in Mustangs...No

Why are you even on this board! Why don't you go post on thirdgen.org or some GM board!
Let's look at these thoughtful and friendly questions one by one;

Yes.

I know most Mustang owners are nice and welcome diverse views.

This board has (or had) more class than the thirdgen.org board.

I thought this board was for car buffs and open to all. I admittedly don't own a Mustang, however I realize they're one of America's premeire muscle cars with a legendary history. I've always enjoyed the Grand National/Mustang rivalry which began in the mid 1980's. I've openly stated none of my cars are "king of the street" and would be a mistake to think otherwise. I don't think I've been rude, insulting or confrontational and have been complimented by many on this board as being level-headed and logical in my discussions. If anyone else feels I've been out of line please sound off. If you don't agree with my opinions that's expected but saying I'm not welcome here is a bit shallow minded.

Thanks for playing,

Last edited by 20LbsBoost; 11-25-2002 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-25-2002, 08:07 PM   #35
20LbsBoost

Quote:
There is a big difference between a leased 4 banger S-10 and a person's beloved stang. People are willing to go a little farther for a special car. My neighbor washes his truck with dish-soap and a dirty rag. Does that mean that I shouldn't take 2 hours detailing mine?
N2O requires special attention?, your talking about a 10 minute stop once every week or two. Wouldn't that cool down time for your turbo be "special attention"?
One of my friends has a 150hp shot on his Firebird. It is his dailey driver, he has no other car. When he sprays a guy, he just whooped him in his dailey driver. So YES N2O DOES count.

Shouldn't the definition of a daily driver be......oh I don't know....the car you drive everyday?
Lets not confuse the issue here. It's what a daily driver is, not cleanliness, type of cosmetic care, style or choice of car.

- Agreed, there's a huge difference between the beloved Mustang and an S-10, but not in the definition of "daily driver".

- NOS requires a "10 minute stop" which sets it apart from any standard run-of-the-mill car's ability to get moving. Lets not blur the lines.

- I'm not familiar with a "cool down time" and have never used it on any of my cars, anytime. If a power adder requires that "cool down time" in the stop light wars then that's not what I'd consider a quick daily driver either.

In my opinion if you answer YES to any of these questions, it doesn't qualify as a daily driver (to me):
- Does it requre anything more than gas and regular scheduled maintenance just as the gentleman described his Corvette above?

- Would you drive it any day of the week, any week of the year with the above described maintenance and gladly engage in stoplight wars anytime, anywhere without "special treatment"?

Some examples of "special treatment" to make your car fast for daily driving would include:
Elimination of windshield wipers
Non DOT tires
Forced induction not suitable for wet-weather
Alcohol Injection
NOS
Ice packed intercoolers
Inability/unwillingness to drive it in the weather

Remember, the thread topic was about gathering opinions on how fast a daily driver street car should run.

Maybe I can't get my message across properly. Just look at a 2003 Ford Probe's regular annual maintenance, does that match that of your daily driver?

Last edited by 20LbsBoost; 11-25-2002 at 08:21 PM..

Old 11-25-2002, 08:27 PM   #36
tireburner163

So if I take my daily driver car, and in a race spray you, it's no long my daily driver?

The definition of a daily driver is: A car you drive everyday

As for cool down time, I though that was what the whole turbo timer thing was for.

The time you take to have your N20 bottle filled is about the same amount of time it takes to fill up your car, so it's not a big deal

I can use N20 from a stop-light just as easily as I can from a tree. The only "special treatment" is reaching my hand over to flip a switch.

If you don't like N2O that's fine, but don't rag on other people for using it.

Also I know several people who bolt drag radials or ET streets onto their ride on Fri & Sat nights before heading to the cruise spot. Does this mean their car are not daily drivers on those nights?

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 11-25-2002, 08:34 PM   #37
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Good points Josh. I love my NOS. And it loves me.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:35 PM   #38
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

I have to agree on the tires. If you don't drive around with it all the time then its not your street trim.

That puts my car in the low 13's not the low 12's if I am on street tires.

I know you dont like n20 20lbs, but if you drive around with a full bottle and a remote opener well then its basically always available on your daily driver.

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:02 PM   #39
20LbsBoost

Quote:
So if I take my daily driver car, and in a race spray you, it's no long my daily driver?

The definition of a daily driver is: A car you drive everyday

As for cool down time, I though that was what the whole turbo timer thing was for.

The time you take to have your N20 bottle filled is about the same amount of time it takes to fill up your car, so it's not a big deal

I can use N20 from a stop-light just as easily as I can from a tree. The only "special treatment" is reaching my hand over to flip a switch.

If you don't like N2O that's fine, but don't rag on other people for using it.

Also I know several people who bolt drag radials or ET streets onto their ride on Fri & Sat nights before heading to the cruise spot. Does this mean their car are not daily drivers on those nights?
Ugh, nevermind.

I see the definition of "regular maintenance" as compared to a brand new 2003 car is unattainable. I can pop my hood and dump ice on my intercooler just a quickly as changing a NOS bottle, but I don't consider that something a daily driver does.

PS, I've never heard of a Turbo Timer.

Last edited by 20LbsBoost; 11-25-2002 at 09:08 PM..

Old 11-25-2002, 09:13 PM   #40
tireburner163

Quote:
Originally posted by 20LbsBoost
I can pop my hood and dump ice on my intercooler just a quickly as changing a NOS bottle, but I don't consider that something a daily driver does.
I don't have to leave the comfort of my car to use N20. Just flip a switch. Big difference.

A turbo timer is..... "Turbo timers are designed to keep the engine idling after the engine is shut down and ignition key is removed. The purpose is to keep oil running through the turbo to cool down the center housing. This is particularly critical after a hard run, where the turbines can spin at over 200,000 RPM and reach temperatures as high as 900C. If an engine is shut down immediately after a hard run, the turbines may still be spinning without any circulating oil. Extended and repetitive oil coking within the oil lines and center housing could result in clogging problems and damaged turbos."

1998 HD Electra Elide
Closed Thread