MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Default Calling all Cam experts; Where are limits for street use?

Here's my situation. I now have the emissions sticker and I think it's time to swap a cam now that my engine is out and my trans brake is installed. I have a few cam choices that were "suggested". Here are the #'s on myt current cam that passed emissions w/ BBK cats

gross valve lift .508/.513
duration @ .050 224/231
lobe seperation 112

Here are the specs on the cam that Ford Performance Soloutions tech told me to use. These specs are close to what FRPP used in the "older" 351 crate engines. w/flat tappet cam's. I am also replacing the cats with an h-pipe.

FYI-I need to use a flat tappet cam because I have a '69 block. What do you guys think of these #'s from FPS for a flat tappet hydraulic cam??

gross valve lift .0520/.0544
duration @ .050 234 244
lobe seperation 112

Well....are these numbers good for street use with a 3400 stall convertor and brake, and what are limits of what do you think I can run on the street without it "loading up" at stoplights.

Thanks

Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:19 AM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Now it's time to get that thing to the track! lol

Well a lot has to do with the low end drivability of the cam, I would go custom if you can spend the cash. My cam is healthy for a 302 it's .544/.568 228/236 110 and although it really is choppy it idles great and drives nice down low which on the street it nice, but at the track comes alive and screams.

That cam doesn't seem to bad but I have seen 351 strokers a lot bigger. I know when I do my 408 or 418 next year (crossing fingers) I am looking for .600+lift, 250 duration (that will really depend on how many rpms you want to pull) and a 110 center. Since your car has a auto you need to get a cam that will work well with that or you will find yourself swapping converters as well.

Check out RNH Performance Performance Engines and Custom Fabrication.
From Mild to Wild we can build what you want, when you want it.

FOR SALE Stainless Steel Torque Box Supports
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 07:49 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Do you have any problems @ stoplights with the car trying to choke and sputter with you current setup? Anyway, the freakin car should be done by now anyway. I got jerked by the people I bought the cam from 'cause they promised that they would have it drop shipped by Wednesday night. Well, Thurs comes around and still no cam. Now it looks as if I won't be able to get the engine back into the car until sometime next week I guess the good thing is that I now can research cam choices more I really want the best bang for my buck. I know the bigger cube strokers can realy benefit from the cam selection.
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Old 04-19-2002, 07:59 AM   #4
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Nope, my car idles like a champ but it is very choppy, sounds like how big it is. Call AFM or FTI for a custom cam, worth every penny.

Old 04-19-2002, 01:31 PM   #5
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I see your on a 110 lobe seperation so that means you aren't EFI, right? I'm having a hard time finding a good cam, in stock, for a non-roller EFI setup. I don't want to wait 3 weeks for a custome grind. Noramally, I wouldn't mind but I'm in a time crunch.

What about this?? I think the issue with this one is that it's so much bigger than my current cam it'll cause driveability problems until I get the JMS chip re-burned.

gross valve lift .543/.553
duration @ .050 252/260
lobe seperation 112
Old 04-19-2002, 01:58 PM   #6
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Nope EFI ALL THE WAY! I had it with the stock EEC and it was great, I now tune it trough a Speedbrain which was a nice upgrade. A EEC tuner is a great investment.

My old cam had 102/106 centers, with that duration are you looking to shift at 7000rpm?

Old 04-20-2002, 08:51 AM   #7
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Looking at shifting at 6500 for now until I get the hang of things. Why did you ask me that? Is there some correlation between duration and shift points (RPM)??
Why am I being told by everyone from Comp cams to FRPP that 110 lobe seperation won't produce enough vac to support EFI?? I could of ordered a couple of mean cams but since they were on a 110 lobe I was told by Comp Cam tech to stay away from them.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:53 PM   #8
faststang90
Registered Member

Default cams

i have a .600 lift 288 dur 112 lobe center it does good on the street. friends cam is a .659 solid roller 295 dur not sure of the lobe center and it is driven on the street
faststang90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 11:29 AM   #9
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Wow, that's pretty large. Is there a possibility that I'm being told this becasue my cam will be flat tappet?? Basically, I'm saying that you guys can run larger cams on the street because you have a roller setup. Is this true?? Also, did you have to get a chip burned in order to run these large cams??