MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2002, 06:59 AM   #21
5ohCOUPE
Registered Member

You want to hear something funny. That non turbo 2.4 POS is in the new 2003 jeep wranglers. I cant believe they put that in place of the old 2.5. I see major problems down the road with the 2.4 jeep wrangler.
91 LX COUPE, 3.73 gears, 2 1/2 inch H-Pipe, 1 5/8 MAC long tube headers, 73 MM C&L MAF, 70 MM MAC TB, LUNATI cam,1.7 TFS Rockers, TFS Track Heat heads, TFS Track Heat intake, T5 with PRO 5.0 shifter, Griffin aluminum radiator, Fluid Damper, SSM traction bars, 190 GPH in tank fuel pump. And more to come.
5ohCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 08:38 AM   #22
95mustanggt
Registered Member

How is that funny?

Does that 2.3 have no torque? If you ask me ALL jeeps should have the 4.0L

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:13 PM   #23
LayanRubr
Registered Member

Yeah those things sport around 240-250 torque(neon)?? It was from the new car and driver, but who knows from those lokeys. But its an interesting issue this month, its a shoot out with the new Mach 1, S2000, the new 350Z and Audi TT. I also wish Dodge would get off there butts with those trucks and get a good muscle car going to help us combat the rice waves
Rice Hater's Club member #20
LayanRubr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 04:23 PM   #24
fastang
Registered Member

Mopar is offering a stage 1-2 and 3 turbo upgrade too. Supposedy 25, 50, and 75hp increases. Theyre selling them through the dealers so you can easily have them written in with the deal. Stage 3 would be 328 hp at the motor....add a limited slip diff and it will destroy...destroy the weak *** U.S. spec STi that wont be here for 2 more years. The STi will also be well over 30 grand. The SRT-4 Neon with all that stuff will still be cheaper than a regular WRX.
old car: 95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:28 PM   #25
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Other than the fact that no matter how fast a neon is......Its still a neon.....so who cares.

The wrx has a superbly engineered boxer engine and AWD. The neon more than likely has a poorly built straight 4 that wont hold up.

Not to mention the WRX's look killer.........

To each his own I guess.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 01:13 AM   #26
fastang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
Other than the fact that no matter how fast a neon is......Its still a neon.....so who cares.

The wrx has a superbly engineered boxer engine and AWD. The neon more than likely has a poorly built straight 4 that wont hold up.

Not to mention the WRX's look killer.........

To each his own I guess.
Still a Neon huh? Typical. I dont care if the engine holds up or not. Dodge must believe in it or they wouldnt warranty it for 7 years and 70.000 miles. All while offering kits to make it even MORE powerfull.
That warranty is four years longer and 50,000 miles longer than the Subaru's....and if you mod your Suby the crappy warrany is totaly void.
I think Ill get a giant sticker that says "STILL A NEON!" across the entire rear bumper so everyone I beat knows theyve been owned by Neon.
old car: 95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
Old 11-09-2002, 01:56 AM   #27
LayanRubr
Registered Member

The mans gotta represent somehow Id like to see the faces on a guy who got took by that neon with a turbo upgrade.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:11 AM   #28
fastang
Registered Member

Thats what Im talkin about. I dont care what your driving if you whoop my ***. I just give respect where its due. Its hard to talk schmack when you just got your azz whooped.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:36 PM   #29
inferno
The Instigator

Default A couple of comments.....

Performance parts are also available from some Subaru dealerships and can be installed without voiding the warranty. They might not be the cheapest prices, but it is still nice to see manufacturers doing that.

About the Neon, when the production car is finally available, it won't have the power of this car. Part of the reason why this car is making so much power is for testing of some of the performance upgrades available from Dodge. They have been making sure that the car can handle higher power levels therefore ensuring that the lower powered car will survive no matter what. Also, they are making sure that should they decide to offer upgrades in the Mopar catalog, that the upgrades do not compromise the engines reliability. Contrary to your belief fastang, not ALL of the upgrades in the Mopar Catalog are or will be covered under the original warranty.

Overall, this is just another alternative for people who are wanting decent power for a decent price. Everyone has their opinion on cars and they will buy what they like. What it really comes down to is your personal preference.

Geez, I never thought I'd see the day when I was defending a Neon, but oh well.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:39 PM   #30
LayanRubr
Registered Member

Damn well inferno pretty much shut us up
Old 11-09-2002, 09:20 PM   #31
Coupe50h
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by srv1
you got to be kidding me? i will take the WRX over the PeeOn anyday!! you have all wheel drive and its turbo works really well. i have seen them pesonally hit mid 13's. Chrysler sucks. it might be nice to look at or cute little cars, but that fact is they ARE the most repaired vehciles out there. JUNK JUNK JUNK! i have done 2.4 head gaskets and swapped motors out of them and not because of lack of maintenence either. Now they want to put a turbo on it.:rollyeyes: i have seen those motors being really fast, but longevity takes a schit down the tubes. only thing chrysler made that was good was the hemi. you take the 2.4 and put 100k of "turbo" miles on it and you will see who last longer, the WRX or the PeeOn. WRX will. i would spend 5k more for the WRX.
Ok smart guy, i wont defend the "peeon" but are you saying all mopar are junk? you mean performance, or reliability?

heh, the hemi wouldnt be exactly reliable with its high compression race intentions, what about the 383-440 bigblocks that could tear into a hemi just as well,(when built) and heard many stories about the ole 318 lasting over 200k miles.

so saying thats the only thing chrysler did good, is dumb, since you obviously dont know enough info to be knocking all mopar engines. The 2.4 probaly is crap, and i wouldnt own a 2.? liter anything, anyone makes.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 09:30 PM   #32
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I think there is a big difference between the Dodge that produced the 318, 360, 383 and 440 and the dodge that produces the crappy little 4 banger Neon!

I'd take an old Challenger or Cuda anyday! But give me an option for almost any new Dodge product, and I'm thinking about how to get out of it.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 09:49 PM   #33
fastang
Registered Member

Inferno....You usualy know what your talking about but Dodge did not use any of their performance parts AT ALL. The CPU on that car is within 5% of completion and thats the standard model.
The stage 1 and stage 2 upgrades will absolutely keep your factory warranty. Stage 3 will not because its not street legal because they remove the cat.
Stage one bumps the stock turbo up,
Stage 2 gets a completely new turbo, new injectors, a few sensors, a downpipe and a new computer.
Stage 3 gets all of 2 but a different cpu, no cat, and larger injectors.
We'll see how this works out. Im going to try to order one with the stage II kit and a LSD.

ALL the mags have said that "Mopar plans to release performance parts for the car, but as you can see its plenty fast already" Meaning that there were NO Mopar performance parts on the car they were testing.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:01 PM   #34
fastang
Registered Member

You want some proof of the Mopar kits? Here some pics from the SEMA show. http://allpar.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=18&t=5622
4th post down or so you will find links to 4 pics from the show that completely explain the upgrades.....the car used in the mags was stock.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:48 AM   #35
20LbsBoost

Ok, I'll jump into this fray too since I'm on a roll this evening.

The performance in the original post is definitely interesting, BUT IT'S STILL A NEON!!!

What was the best quote in the movie "Christine"?:
"You can't polish a turd"

My apologies to all you racin' Neon owners.

My $.02 for what it's worth.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:53 PM   #36
inferno
The Instigator

fastang, we can go at this all day long. You have your opinion based on assumptions and the always accurate magazine article, and I have my opinion based on the same "accurate" articles and talking to some people from Dodge. The production car most likely will not make 14lbs of boost like this car does and it is going to have a more restrictive exhaust to try to quiet the noise. They are determined not to put a muffler on the car so that means either smaller piping or another resonator which means more back pressure which means slower turbo spooling. The car used in the testing is "stock" but that still doesn't mean that the production car will be like that. Also, if you notice at the link you sent me, they are basing the performance mods off of upgrading the 215hp 245ft/lb goal.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:59 PM   #37
inferno
The Instigator

Oh yeah, and read where Apex says that the parts are NOT covered under warranty.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:42 PM   #38
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

A lot of bitching and whineing when you guys see a quick 4 cylinder. My Merkur Xr4Ti is a ugly peice of **** too, but hopefully its gonna be a quickly little 4cylinder, and yea its a ford. Jesse, If you can get it pumpin good hp with a warranty I say go for it. You can always crank the boost more! And turn it back if u need warranty work . What kind of an intercooler setup does it have?

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:12 AM   #39
fastang
Registered Member

Inferno, No the performance parts themselves arent under warranty but my point was that they will not void the warranty that you already have. So you 7 year 70,000 mile warranty will stand. And Im not basing my opinion on one magazine...Im basing it on four different ones getting the same results. Of course Mopar is basing the hp increases of their kits against the original rating of 215....what else are they going to do? If its rated at 215 but really putting 215 to the wheels after they de-tune it like you are so sure they will, thanthe kit should put down 275 at the wheels as well.
Sky, I know Merkur is by Ford and congratulations it sound sweet. Id' like to see it.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:43 PM   #40
inferno
The Instigator

Well, in most cases, any factory hp upgrades can void parts of the original warranty. For example, if you were to get those parts and somehow blow your motor, do you really think that it would be replaced under warranty? I am sure that everything else will be covered, but it would be too easy for the dealer to say that the upgraded parts were the cause regardless of the fact that they were installed at the dealership. Unless they specifically say that the part won't void the warranty, it will.