MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What DR's should I get? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=20936)

LfiveohX 03-19-2002 10:02 PM

What DR's should I get?

I am going to need some new tires soon. I will definitely be getting a 245/45/16.

Will the Nitto DR's last longer than the BFG's?
Which ones hook better?

Any comments from anyone who has either will be appreciated.

I am getting tired of 2.2-2.3 60' times.

Thanks,
Adam

69fastback 03-19-2002 10:13 PM

I like bfgs better. I have the 275 50 15s. they really helped alot just driving around on the street and at the track. My tires stoped chriping everytime i shifted just doing reqular driving on the street.

302 LX Eric 03-20-2002 09:57 AM

I've got the BFG's too. I've had them for about 3 years now? Maybe more like 4 years? Heck, I can't remember. It's been a while.

Up until this year, they have been great tires. Nice for a guy like me who is making decent power and not much in the way of "hook-up" suspension. They are starting to dry out now. Not as soft and sticky as they used to be.

I still can't launch my car for crap. My best 60' on them was a 2.0x. I guess I just have to keep practicing. :)

Great on the street.

E

sedanman 03-20-2002 11:00 AM

I have had both the nittos and the BFG my findings:

Nitto:
1. hook good on the street
2. hook so so on the strip
3. require a good burn out
4. Pretty good in the rain
5. Last about 15K miles

BFG
1. hook better on the street
2. hook even better on the strip
3. require a moderate burnout
4. are not so good in the rain
5. last about 10k miles

If all out performance is what you want get the BFG's if you want a little more all around performance and lasting tires get the nitto's

I beleive the only size the BFG's come in (in 16" rims) is 255/50/16

Good luck

Dark_5.0 03-20-2002 01:09 PM

regaurdless of wich one you get. You want 245/50/16's

I have tried them both and I got better 60ft's on the Nittos.

302 LX Eric 03-21-2002 09:07 AM

As sedanman stated, the BFG's for 16" rims only come in the 255 size, not 245. FWIW I run them on stock "pony wheels" with no rubbing - but it's darn close! ;)

E

Stangrrr 03-21-2002 01:02 PM

I've had 245/50/16 Nitto's on my pony rims & went a best 60ft of 1.749. Alot depends on you car's set up.

I have gotten better 60ft's with my BFG's, but they're 275/60/15's (1.655 60ft).

As stated above, the Nitto's last longer & are much better in the rain.

MrWesson22 03-21-2002 07:36 PM

How scary really are the BFG drag radials in the rain? My car isn't a daily driver, but I drive it to work about 3 times a week and do occasionally get caught in the rain. I drive slow in the rain anyway, but I don't want to have to go like 10mph.

302 LX Eric 03-22-2002 09:43 AM

I've been caught in the rain a couple of times with the BFGs. Not a good thing. For example, from a stop light, I slowly accelerated and began to make my left turn when the back end got loose and started coming around on me.

My wife was in the car too, so you know I was being extra careful.

If it's going to be a daily driver, sounds like the Nitto's are better.

E

red82gt 03-23-2002 03:41 PM

The nittos are better in the rain but how much better? I'm living in Vancouver and it rains a lot here, are they still a safety hazard or is it not much different than a regular nitto 555?

sedanman 03-26-2002 01:54 AM

I had them both on when mine was a daily driver:

I must say neither was scary in the rain, with the Nitto's I just had to go the speed limit, watch for standing rain, and avoid locking them up (because once they locked up they did not want to unlock up). With the BFG I would slow down a little below the speed limit, again watch for standing water. I never had any real problems, once the BFG's got harry but it was VERY heavy rain that had been going all day on a highly rutted road. Needless to say I would not worry to much about them in the rain, now the snow thats a different story :D

stanger8172 03-26-2002 03:00 PM

If you put 255's on you don't have to remove your quad shocks?

I too am looking to buy dr's or slicks and I need to keep the quad's on.

sedanman 03-26-2002 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stanger8172
If you put 255's on you don't have to remove your quad shocks?

I too am looking to buy dr's or slicks and I need to keep the quad's on.

If you do 255's you do have to remove the quad shocks. Why do you need to keep your quad shocks? Just put aftermarket control arms and trash those quadshocks.

FivepointOH 03-27-2002 02:49 PM

I'd have to say from personal experience that I wouldn't put either on my daily driver ever again. I had nittos on the car for about a year(probably about 10-12k miles) they where getting pretty worn but still had a little tread left. I was coming back from 6th street at 2am one night with a friend when it started raining, I slowed to about 50-55 on I-35... I was just cruising along when all of a sudden I hit a slick spot in the road... before I knew it and could do anything about it I did a 180 right into the wall on the freeway and ended up facing traffic stopped in the fast lane. Thank God that there wasn't any traffic next to me or directly behind me and the traffic a ways behind me saw my headlights and slowed down. My car still has a dent in the side and the bumper cover is smashed up from that incident.... be real careful driving on dr's in the rain if you get them.

ThreePonyStable 03-27-2002 04:11 PM

I too am looking into some 255/50 BFGoodriches. I've heard good things about the tires and I plan on mounting them on the ponys. I suggest getting some SSM lift bars and dumping the quad shocks. It opens up a lot of room and they are not necessary on a street/strip car.

89 Cobra LX 03-27-2002 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sedanman

If you do 255's you do have to remove the quad shocks. Why do you need to keep your quad shocks? Just put aftermarket control arms and trash those quadshocks.

I'm not so sure about that. I know a lot of people that run 255/50/16s that still have the quad shocks.....

sedanman 03-27-2002 08:59 PM

You can "flip" the quad shocks and make them clear but your best bet is to replace the control arms all together and toss the quad shocks in the trash.