MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-17-2001, 02:24 AM   #1
stanger8172
Registered Member

Smile what was your funnest street race?

Mine was right after I had the T-5 swap and no pullies, A/C Eliminator, short belt, glasspacks, or battery in the trunk last summer. I was on my way to my brothers at around 10pm when there was barely anyone out and I was trigger happy with the new T-5.

Then, as I was just rolling to a stop at the light on Hwy 164/59 in Waukesha a late model Pontiac GTP rolls up and throws a rev. He looked over and reved again. I threw a rev and after the light turned green he got the jump and I was soon seeing HIS tail-lights. We shut down after 60mph in a 45. I couldn't believe it so...

At the next light it is just me and him. We didn't look at each other. GRRRR on my part! There is still no one around except for a couple cars going the other way. He got the better jump again but this time I was up to his door instead of a car length behind. We got up to around 50mph and shut-down. I like the fact that he seemed sober, ya know, and stayed ahead at a decent speed without blowing the emblems off other cars. At that point I new it was time to go harder on this clutch.( Yes, I was new to street racing)

So I stroll up and he's puffing on a smoke with the passenger window rolled down. No one is around except for granny punani getting her groceries. I rolled mine down and he said that he had a bigger pulley on his blower. So the light turns green and I finally launch at around 2000. He does a mean burnout but it didn't help. I took him by about a car length or more. We shut down at 50! Then I did a U-turn and went back to my bro's.No one has ever stayed behind after losing to me after that!!! He sure showed me how to use a clutch!!! lol!

------------------
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, FMS adjustable cable w/quadrant, 3:55's(not installed yet), ported/polished/milled E7 heads, 1.6rr, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys and A/C Eliminator, short belt, K&N, battery in trunk, glasspacks w/turndowns, 225/50/16 Re 730's
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 03:41 AM   #2
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

My best was against a FULLY modded 96 Z28 camaro.

We ran a 1/4 at the street races.

We ran dead even all the way till the powershift on 4th gear where I got him by a fender.

Best race I've ever had.

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 04:27 AM   #3
stanger8172
Registered Member

I would have been real lit up after a kill like that! Did you celebrate? Did you talk to the guy after that?

------------------
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, FMS adjustable cable w/quadrant, 3:55's(not installed yet), ported/polished/milled E7 heads, 1.6rr, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys and A/C Eliminator, short belt, K&N, battery in trunk, glasspacks w/turndowns, 225/50/16 Re 730's
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 11:20 AM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

My funnest street race was not really a race but more just like funny.

I was driving home from work in my Honda CRX
when this guy in a 96-98 stang kept pulling up beside me and punching it then he would slow down and do it again.

Well this became very irritating when I turned left so did he and I waited for him to do it again. Sure enough he pulls beside me and punches it and them slammed on his brakes as soon as I seen his brake lights I punched it and flew past him by about six lengths or so.

He was gaining fast when we past a big group of mustangs at a carwash. They all started pointing and laughing cause i still had him by a car when i shut down.

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit 3.73 FMS gears cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.

[This message has been edited by 5.0 HO (edited 08-17-2001).]
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 05:35 PM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Cool

The coolest one was when I ran this convertible '91 GT on the hwy when I had my 2.73s.

Man I tell you, the best races are the CLOSEST ones (especially if you win)!

Beside each other at about 50 mph, I manually dropped it in 2nd so I could get it to hold out longer. He got up beside me and I let him get the split-second jump like I usually do. After I hit it, I started gaining until I had a tad more than a bumper and I slow stopped gaining and 5500 came quickly so I HAD to shift into drive. As soon as I did, he started gaining on me about 2 bumper lengths and I was like "WHAT THE HECK IS THIS" b/c I was pretty sure I would beat him with not too much problem but then he starts gaining me?!! I thought it was all over, but then I thought, well he's got a 5 speed manual and he's gonna have to shift soon too. Lo and behold when he did, I gained back those 2 bumper lengths he had on me and started pulling away slowly and was yelling in the car "YES! HA HA HA Oh YEAH!!!".

Truly awesome race. Closest I have ever had.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 04:34 PM   #6
SlowStang2
Registered Member

This may not belong in the mustangworks website but this does belong in this category. I was on my stock 94 CBR F2 with my friend on his 94 YZF driving along a street when I noticed a very very sooped up camaro pull into a development. We followed him in there and got right behind him. This car was obviously not street legal because of how loud it was which made it more desirable by me since I have so much of an advantage over anyone in a car. We all pull out onto an empty street and gun it. My friend falls behind cuz he missed 2nd (he bought the bike that very same day) and I kept with him. Now this was from a roll so he had NO traction problems, but neither did I of course. The ba.stard hung with me! All the way to 110mph!! But with all the wind 100mph blowing by me and the sound of a huge engine not three feet away from me, it was by far the best feeling I've during a race. I did end up winning, but I'm not sure by how much because a bike is not a car length, but if I had to guess, I'd say I had him by a half of a car length. Now yea yea, I know there are some crybabies out there saying "whoa dude, thats crazy, youre gonna get killed that way." Let me just say I know. And I also know that when I live my life it has to be to the fullest. Nowadays sex is life threatening so who cares. Drive fast.

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, GT-40Y Turbo Swirl aluminum heads, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, adjustable fuel regulator 14.4@100 MPH on G-tech;96 at track. (Sad, i know. This is with the stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote