MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-30-2001, 05:13 AM   #1
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Question What's the best race you never had?

I remember two races I was soooo psyched for that just never happened. It was thoroughly depressing.

The first one was a 1969 Camaro. It was jacked up, had loud exhaust and the guy drove it around thinking it was the **** . I was determined to show him taillights and sure enough, one day while I was driving down the road I saw him up ahead. I was in my stock blue 88 GT, and we were gonna line up right next to each other. Getting ready to come to a stop, and being alert for the light to change early, I pressed the clutch in and downshifted my tranny into 1st. A second later all hell broke loose, my tires locked up!!!! I thought something major had broken and my car was done for. The car wanted to jump forward when I tried to re-start it, and I couldn't get it into neutral. Turns out my clutch had shredded less than a week after I bought the car. It was stacked up and lodged between the pressure plate and the flywheel. Not only did I not get to stomp the Camaro, but he got to watch me on the side of the road behind him as he left the stoplight.

The 2nd race that I wanted even more than the first was just a few months ago. I was in my mostly stock 87 GT about to make a left hand turn. My arrow was red, and off to my left, turning onto the road going the opposite way as me was a late 70's early 80's Ferrari 308 GTS quattrovalve. Ohhhhh man. The one Ferrari that I'll probably be able to afford someday! I rolled down the window so I could tell if it was a real Italian 32v 3.0L V-8 or a Volkswagen. I listened to the harmony and new it was the real thing. For all of you that don't know, the 308 GTS was never a supercar like todays Ferrari's, I probably would have beat it down, but if it was a late 70's with the carbs before motronic fuel injection cut it down to 240hp in the early 80's it was rated at 260hp, had a top speed of 150mph, and it would've been sooo sweet to hear it scream to it's 8,000rpm redline! Again, not meant to be though, my dumb *** light never changed in time to flip a b1tch and catch back up to him.

Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 05:36 AM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

My best was against a 99 Cobra right after they came out. At the time I had subframe connectors and 4.10s. I would guess he was stock. But it was a good race because I thought I would lose. The other guy really thought I would lose, but then, hey pulled on him and one. It was a good race because it was such a pleasent surprise.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 06:50 AM   #3
WADS56
gear banger

My best race was against a early 70's nova with a 502. I went to autotech with this guy so I knew what a prick he was. He thought nothing in town could touch his modded big block and mustangs were a joke to him.

I was driving around town when he was comming the other way. When he got to my door I threw a rev, then he turned around to catch me. We went out of town to line them up, and when we got there he said he had to heat the tires up so he could get traction. He did a little burnout trying to intimadate me, you could tell because he gave me a stupid grin. I figured I would roast mine for a while, so I turned on the line like, put it in 3rd, reved it to 5500, and sliped the clutch in resulting in a burnout much bigger then his and taking that grin off his face. I told him he could have the jump, so he took it. He got a quick car on me from the start, then I started to real him in and beat him by a couple of cars. So for now I hold the title of the fastest car in town.

I hear now that he is putting on fuel injection and some other stuff looking for a rematch.

------------------
blown347,free breathing heads and exhaust, solid roller cam, tremec,moser axles, 4.10's, role cage and all the other stuff.
11.8 @ 115 very untuned

1993lx5.0 AOD dailydriver
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 03:41 PM   #4
exgmguy
Registered Member

My best was handing a Viper GTS it's a$$ like 3 times in a row.

First he raced to humor me, then he just kept trying to get his pride back!

------------------
1988 Mustang GT

12.0 @ 121 on radials
S-trim Vortech sitting in a box!
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 04:41 PM   #5
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

My best race happened this past summer. I was out cruising with the missus, and saw this 96-96 looking white Cobra revving at everyone. So, I took the bait and buzzed him. I went to the next light and waited for him to pull up next to me. As he crept up, he wanted to start talking about his car and blah blah blah. So we were cruising down the road, because we couldn't sit at the light forever. We finally decided to go about 5 miles out of town and race back. We hit the turn around, and were putting along in first waiting for the other to jump. So, I let him get the jump, he got about 1/2 a car on me and he stayed there for the duration. He didn't pull away, and I never edged him. Darn good race, very even. After we got back to town, we pulled into a car wash and raised the hoods. He had a 5.0 in the thing. This was a bit of a surprize, because he had alum heads, Victor Jr. intake, claimed a cam, cold air intake, 3.55 gears, and running a laptop. Needless to say, I was proud of my little beauty. He also claimed to run 13.2's, but my car has never seen anything quicker than 13.4 so I think he was embellishing a little. Good race though

------------------
1989 GT- Vortech blown 306, Anderson 3" power pipe, Vortech S-Trim 14# boost, MSD-6BTM, black wrinkle finish Cobra valve covers(woohoo), world class T-5, 3.55 gears, custom sub-frame connectors, Cobra grille insert and rear valance, Saleen "whale" wing, 4 wheel disc conversion, 11.1@124
1994 Cobra- MAC cold air fender kit, Motorsport underdrive pulley's, MAC 21/2" off-road H pipe, SVO mufflers, 3.73 gears, E-303 cam, 13.417@101.335mph
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 06:30 PM   #6
SisuStang

The best race that I NEVER had, as the topic says, was this past summer.

I was out cruising by myslef late on a Sat night, checking out the usual spots. I was heading west on Hwy 7, trying to get some of the ricers to go at the stoplights, to no avail (gee, I wonder why they wouldn't race me?)

I noticed a Ferrari Testarossa (sp?) heading the other direction. I pulled a u turn as fast as I could, & tried to catch up, but he lost me in traffic. That would have been a blast to spank a car like that.

------------------
91 coupe
3.73's,long tubes,2 1/2" exh,ported stock t-body,ProM-77mm
cobra intake,edelbrock heads,B303,1.72 rr's
36lb inj's,tremec, & a Paxton NOVI 2000!!!
11.020 @128.95 on BFG Drag Radials (275/60/15)

[This message has been edited by SisuStang (edited 01-30-2001).]
Old 01-30-2001, 06:44 PM   #7
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Red face

DOH!!! I just saw the "N" in never. I hate looking this dumb......hush.

Ok the best race I NEVER had was about 2 months ago coming home from visiting my mom in Rockingham, NC. I was about ten minutes away from home when I got stopped at a light and this blue Z-28 pulled up next to me. First, let me say that I was extremly tired and I had the family in the car. I looked at my wife, looking for a sign to blast this Z, but she just glared at me and shook her head no. So, the light turned green and he launched, sort of, churped the tires and was gone. And my ego was bruised, but I lived.

------------------
1989 GT- Vortech blown 306, Anderson 3" power pipe, Vortech S-Trim 14# boost, MSD-6BTM, black wrinkle finish Cobra valve covers(woohoo), world class T-5, 3.55 gears, custom sub-frame connectors, Cobra grille insert and rear valance, Saleen "whale" wing, 4 wheel disc conversion, 11.1@124
1994 Cobra- MAC cold air fender kit, Motorsport underdrive pulley's, MAC 21/2" off-road H pipe, SVO mufflers, 3.73 gears, E-303 cam, 13.417@101.335mph
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:48 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I was going to say something about that, but everybody seemed to be having such a good time talking about their best races that I just decided to shut it.

That race would have totally kicked *** SisuStang. Maybe you'll run across him again?

Later
Unit 5302
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 01:19 AM   #9
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Well, the best races i (N)ever had were all the times i was at a stoplight with corvette's, new ones and even an old 69 427, but they act like im not there? and the best race i think i ever ran was on the highway, you all might remember the "christmas eve kill" i posted, the vr4 i smoked from 60 to 100 about 3 times, but the best part was the look on his face when he did a rice bye and his girl was in the car.

But what comes around goes around, it seems everyone wants to race when i got a girl in the car.

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,advncd ignition,3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 14.1623(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 97.80
Best 60': 2.0728
next mods: subframes, 3.73's

90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 01:51 AM   #10
my name is mud
Registered Member

The best race I never had, probably my uncles 99 (or myabe its a 2000, I forget) porshe 911, I don't think I have a chance but I'd at least like to try. Or maybe this kid around here with a IROC-Z w/a bunch of stickers always driving around spinning his tires, but his time's coming.

------------------
88 mustang lx ragtop pulley's and a k+n
14.8 at 93mph
just got some 3.73's and a new clutch,
but haven't been back yet
my name is mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 03:29 AM   #11
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Angry

The best race I never had was this past sunday. I had a bunch of people over to watch the superbowl, and before it started, a friend said he'd never been in a new stang, and he wanted a ride in my car. We left the house, and I was just going to take him up the road, on the freeway, and back home. As I traveled up the road, I saw a new blue BMW M5! The guy was weaving in and out of traffic trying to get to the front of the line. He managed to line up at the front of the slow lane, and I ended up behind ONE car in the fast lane. This damn toyota corolla that was in front of me would NOT speed up to let me by, and I just had to watch as the M5 sped off. It had Oregon tags, and it was the first one Ive seen in person. I know I wouldve gotten beat, but I was curious to see just how fast they are. Stupid slow drivers!!!! Damn frusterating.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Magnaflow Catback, K&N
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 11:04 AM   #12
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Last month me and 2 of my good friends were taking my 82 econoline "A team" van up to my friend joe's house. Chris was in the van following Joe, in his riced civic, and me in marbles. We had 2 way radios to talk in case one of us got lost heading up. Chris was in back and i was a ways up in front in traffic. I hear Chris tell Joe over the radio to watch out on his left. About 10 seconds later Joe came on and said "DAM!! Jon, he's all yours man!" ( joe new his car couldn't handle that) And about 20 seconds later a bright yellow TT Lotus Elise drove by pretty quick. I down shifted and went to jump over when a guy in a black Lexus GS 400 flew by. He was obviously after the lotus too, so i followed suite thinking ...YEAH! 2 for the price of one. Just then a slow a$$ mini van pulls in front of me and i have no room to get passed. I saw them weaving through traffic to an opening. Dam how i wanted to be there. Just think, you are on the highway and you see three blures scream by you, a yellow Lotus, A sweet black Lex, and a loud *** Darkblue Fox. Wouldn't you want to follow them? Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 08:18 PM   #13
red5.0
Registered Member

Lightbulb

the race i never had was about 2 weeks ago, i was going back to skool after lunch and another mustang came by mee and when he did he pushed in the clutch and reved and looked at me and laughedit up. I wanted to catch up and go a round with him but i had 2 girls with mee and i didnt want them to think i was trying to be a bigshot or something.

------------------
92" GT 5.0
red5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote