MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-31-2000, 01:40 AM   #1
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Post What's up with all the trash talk?

I don't want to sound like I'm better than everyone, but I seriously wonder about all the guys on here that brag their *** off about beating whatever car they raced last night. I mean it's a great feeling to beat someone, but seriously, you've had your share of *** whoopings too. Everyone gets beat. I try and not talk big all the time because people take every chance they get to dis my cougar. If I race someone and beat them, the most I'll say about it is I won. And maybe by how much if they ask. And usually it's something like, "I donno, a car length maybe" because the thing that pisses me off the most is someone who talks trash. I would hope that everyone here got their turn driving their moms minivan that was slow as hell and died if you goosed it. Maybe not that bad, but everyone should get a chance to get their *** kicked. It may not be as glorious as trash talking about the slow *** POS you just killed, but it sure as hell shows more dignity. Seriously, I think it shows much more character to get beat and rant about how badass someone elses car is. No matter what you have done to your car, there's always something more to do that someone else has probably done. Chances are you don't drive the fastest stang out there so just remember all the trash talking you do when you get your butt kicked. Because hopefully the guy who kicked your butt will tell you how slow your POS really is.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny
15.43 @ 91.08mph (not shabby for a 3600 pound car)
60' 2.453 Street tires suck!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 02:14 AM   #2
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Are you a bit insecure about your 15.4 e/t? hey man we like to talk about kills, how many car lengths, and how slow the other guy is, yea i know my limits, i wont pick on TT supras after seeing them run, but why shouldnt i? i beat a vr4 on x-mas eve....and anyone that would rather talk about being beat then beating, is kinda weird to me?

WIN WIN WIN....all its about, gotta love competition, and i can shake a guys hand that beats me by a bumper, and just ask if he wants to go again Anything other than 1st place is last imo.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 02:54 AM   #3
Five0
Registered Member

I agree with you 90spdcoupe(about the 1st place thing). I do talk about the races I have lost as well as the races I have won.
It's just I have not lost yet on the current combo. I raced a modified TT Supra and won with out the NOS but I have to admit those cars are fast.

2nd place is nature’s way of saying you suck!

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
Best 1/8 time on motor 7.686 @90.20mph

[This message has been edited by Five0 (edited 12-31-2000).]
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 12:11 PM   #4
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Hmm.. this is the street racers corner and it says "Post your kill stories" so what do you expect people to do. I've had my fair share of loses and even post a few of them(see my post about racing the SS), but I agree it's much more fun to win and brag about it then lose.

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 02:52 PM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Uh, Quantum, did you not get the Christmas present you really wanted? It'll be okay dude. You may be in the wrong board:

"Street Racers Corner
This is a ultimate place for the street racing addict. For serious discussion and stories about street/strip victories, and to let everyone know where the hot street racing spots are every where" (Mustang Works).

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe
8.8" Rear end w/ 2.73:1 gears (sucks!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Sucky Purolator air filter that's choking my car.
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 03:47 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "trash talking" just another name for lying about how fast your car is? I think most kills posted here are honest accounts of actual races. The "trash talkers" are usually easily detected and put in their proper places by other members. At least, that's been my experience here.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 04:12 PM   #7
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Well, I guess I found out what kind of people read this board. Sorry to bring it up guys, I guess no one can understand the dignity in loss. I've had my share of wins at the track and on the street, I love winning as much as the next guy, but I don't enjoy listening to a bunch of bragging hot heads rant about how badass their car is. But it's not the guys who talk big about their cars that really get me, it's the people who talk down about other peoples cars. Seriously, why does your car have to beat everyone elses for it to be fun for you? The only reason I want my car to go faster than it was from the factory is because I enjoy working on it and I enjoy the feeling when I turn the key after having the engine completely apart and it starts right up and I go out and hammer the throttle and feel the seat trying to push it's way out from under me. I don't have the money to spend to make my car the fastest out there, but at least I'm happy with it even though I lose more races than I win. I guess a lot of you guys are wondering why I would post this here. Probably because I wanted to see if anyone on this page could see where I was coming from. I guess not. I just want to know why you guys always have to be better than someone else. Insecurity possibly? All of you guys who say second place is last, what do you do when you lose? Do you go shoot yourself? I mean really, you've failed!!! You didn't win, oh my god!!! Oh that's right I forgot, you never talk about losing so it probably never happens right? I don't care what anyone else says, it shows a hell of a lot more character to lose with dignity than to win and brag. And I'd rather hang out with someone who never wins and tells everyone than who wins all the time and brags their *** off.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny

Old 12-31-2000, 04:23 PM   #8
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I dont lose to much because I dont try to bite off more than I can chew. Honestly, in my 2000 GT I havent lost one YET. I'm not bragging, I'm just extremely lucky. I know my time is coming that I will be handed my lunch, but hopefully its not to much of an embarrasement, or to a sore winner.

I will be sure to post when I lose a street race.

Now in my 64 coupe I have lost several times. Twice to 80's Vettes, and my friends 67 Fairlane. There has got to be other times, but I cant think of them right now.

Good point though Quantum Motorsports. I know my cars arent the fastest in town, I know I'm not the best driver also, I'm just selective of my competitors. Call it a sixth sense. Although I havent turned down many races.

------------------
64 1/2 Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd.

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 05:16 PM   #9
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by QuantumMotorsports:
Well, I guess I found out what kind of people read this board.
So, what kind of people read this board?

Respectfully, why are you so sore? Do you expect people to lie and make up stories of getting beat if they haven't?? How often do you visit this board? It would do you much good to post the topics from the last 100 days and go through them. You'll see that a good percentage of topics deal with getting beat. One topic was "I got beat!!." Another topic was "Do you get mad when you get beat?" And there are plenty more of those.
I understand some of your grievances, but you've only argued one side of the issue. The fact is MUSTANGS RULE. They win. But for you Quantum (with no hard feelings), I got beat a few months ago by a 2000 Cobra R. I barely got him off the line, but when we hit second, it was TOTALLY over. He left me with a good view of the back of his car. I had 2.73 gears at the time and was sure that if I had 3.73s, I still would have got beaten, just not as bad. (this was my first time losing, and I've raced corvettes, modified stangs, camaros, GNs, etc).
Peace bro.

'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe

Old 12-31-2000, 06:24 PM   #10
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Fox Body,

Apparently most people who read this board are just like you. If you are able to examine yourself enough to figure that one out. Read Mercury's post and you will find someone that is apparenly out of the ordinary. After reading all the other posts on here I was shocked to find someone with that much class. By the way Fox, I just love how your post is filled with little comments about how you barely lost to a 2K cobra R. First of all, I would be very impressed just to SEE a 2K Cobra R let alone run against it and never would I expect to win. Because I never expect to win at all. That's just how I am.

FOX BODY "I barely got him off the line, but when we hit second, it was TOTALLY over. He left me with a good view of the back of his car. I had 2.73 gears at the time and was sure that if I had 3.73s, I still would have got beaten, just not as bad."

What is that supposed to mean? Were you trying to make is sound like you could see both sides of this issue? I'd say the fact that you've supposedly only been beated once disqualifies you on that account. By the way, just FYI, Mustangs are pretty quick cars. They're slapped together to keep them cheap and incase you haven't noticed, most of them rattle and squeak like mad. They're not the best cars on the road. So maybe it's just jealousy that makes you gloat when you happen to jump off the line quicker than some vett or camaro, not to say that they're constucted any better.

I'm only suggesting that when you post about winning in street races that you remember that the other person has to tell his friends that he just got beat by a punk 5.0 driver. So if you show some respect he might not trash talk about you for being a sore loser.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 12-31-2000, 06:46 PM   #11
Rev
Registered Member

For the life of me, I can't see the virtue in losing races. That doesn't mean that when one does lose, he has to be a jerk about it. We all lose or will lose sometime. That should just inspire us to make our cars quicker. In no way, does that make it admireable to lose a race. That's just a goofy idea IMHO.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 12-31-2000, 08:36 PM   #12
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

I didn't say anything about being a jerk after losing. I'm talking about people who are jerks after winning. If you really do win races, it's not very sportsman-like to brag and trash talk. It's called being humble. And realizing that whoever you race deserves some respect. Simply because they're another person. So why add insult to injury and brag and trash talk when you've already won the race. I dont' know about you guys, but when I read all of your "stories" about beating whomever by however much you supposedly beat them I am not impressed. It's as if you feel like you must prove that your car is fast by telling everyone who you have beaten. All I am saying is that I don't understand your desire to make everyone know that you are better than someone because I simply do not care if I am better than anyone.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 12-31-2000, 09:26 PM   #13
Rev
Registered Member

One can post a kill without being a jerk. A person "talks trash" only if he lies or is rude in relating the story. At least that's the way i see it.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 12-31-2000, 10:46 PM   #14
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

quantum: quote "A punk 5.0 kid" ok so its harder on someone to lose to a 5.0? why dont you just go buy a slowmaro and go to the ls1 board....sheesh!
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 11:45 PM   #15
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Okay, before this gets out of hand, Quantum, understand that in no way have I been offended nor has it been my desire to offend you. You seem to be a little overly sensitive, though. Like Rev said, "one can post a kill without being a jerk." I have ALWAYS been cool after EVERY race and MOST of the time I end talking to the person I raced and making another friend (networking).
When I mentioned the story of gettin beat by a Cobra R, I said "when we hit second, it was TOTALLY over." I didn't say he "barely" beat me. I even said that if I had 3.73s he STILL would have beaten me.
There is NO way I'm gonna downsize (or exaggerate) a story. There is a difference b/t being "humble" and LYING. Would you have rather I said that I beat him? That would have been just as bad as me saying that I didn't barely get him on the launch. They're both lies.

Now I totally understand your point about being humble and respecting other people. But you wrote:
"...And realizing that whoever you race deserves some respect. Simply because they're another person. So why add insult to injury and brag and trash talk when you've already won the race. I dont' know about you guys, but when I read all of your "stories" about beating whomever by however much you supposedly beat them I am not impressed. It's as if you feel like you must prove that your car is fast by telling everyone who you have beaten. All I am saying is that I don't understand your desire to make everyone know that you are better than someone because I simply do not care if I am better than anyone."

Which person ever stated they were better than anyone else b/c they won a race???!!! You make it sound like we're flippin off these people after races, cussing at them and degrading them to less than human beings, going to their homes and jobs and yelling "ha ha ha, I beat this guy's car, his car sucks, he's a nobody" all just for losing a stinking race. Dude, you are putting WAY too much weight to the matter.
Everyone who comes to this board understands what this board is for: "for serious discussion about street/strip victories". Yes, to be honest I have seen a FEW post that were a bit disrespectful. I can't excuse their behavior (whoever they were). But as a whole, understand that in the Mustang/Mustang Works community, posts of street/strip victories and losses are all understood b/t us who post here. Ain't no one tryin to degrade anyone else.
Why do you insist that people are degrading others? NO ONE EVER SAID THEY WERE BETTER THAN THE OTHER PERSON. I don't know. Maybe you have no idea of what I'm talking about. Maybe you do. Peace.

'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe
Old 01-01-2001, 01:18 AM   #16
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Okay, maybe what I'm trying to say has been misunderstood or maybe I haven't gone about saying it correctly. I have nothing wrong with talking about racing, I have nothing wrong with talking about beating people. I guess it's possible that even though some of your stories sound like bragging they might not be, that's for you alone to decide. My post was pointed towards the (apparently) few people who post stories of victories that are simply posted for self improvement in their own eyes. Most of the people posting here with an opposite opinion I have never even read a post from that was rude or bragging. Maybe my post found it's way into the eyes of the few people who truly do not mean to be disrespectful by talking about a street race victory. But I still believe that if you truly did not mean to talk down about the people you beat that would mean you could sympathize with them which would usually mean that you could understand my opinion. I would hope that if someone were to read my post and dissagree that they could simply say "Hey man, we're just having fun. We're not trying to make anybody feel bad. Sure there are people who truly talk trash and I probably am guilty of a little(because everyone has done it, including me), but we're just having a good time and when someone beats me(notice I say when, instead of if, because it will happen), I'd be perfectly fine if they posted the story on here. As a matter of fact, I'd probably laugh along with them cause damn, they have a fast freaking car that totally smoked my *** like I was their ***** ." If someone were to post a reply of that nature, I could respect them.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 01-01-2001, 02:25 AM   #17
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Quantum Motor Sports.

I understand and see your point of view. Yes and it does seem that most victors ego's get rather inflated. I try to show respect to the fellow competitor.

But when I hear the driver of the car next to me (This really happened once) tell his girl, "Watch me smoke that slow peice of Antique Sh$t" (refering to my 64 1/2 coupe), I feel in a way justified to gloat after I beat his driving skills and his 90 5.0 LX.

But as mentioned earlier, I respect my fellow competitors, for I am not better than them. They may be a real good driver, I just happened to catch them on an off day. Hey it happens.

I do think of myself as an above average driver though. Maybe some of these Street racers here in Fayetteville can use me for them roleModel. Just kidding.

Oh, and another loss of mine in my 64 1/2 that I remembered (I asked my cruising partner Eric tonight if he remembered any races that I lost. I had forgot one.) Its an embbarrasing one too. :O

I lost to an import about 3 1/2 years ago. My 64 coupe wasnt nearly as built up then as it is now and my racing skills sucked bad (hey we all gotta start sometime). I dont know what it was, but I do remeber the large, loud sucking sound it made when he blew by me. He beat me bad though. My friend says it was an Integra or something, I say it was late 80's Supra.

------------------
64 1/2 Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd.

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 11:56 AM   #18
cleanLX
Registered Member

Well, Mr. Quantum, it seems your opinion is being swayed. But I must add my own two cents.
I have been reading this list for nearly a year. My first impressions where as yours, however, before I mouthed off I decided to read for a while and get a feel for these guys. Look at their times, they are back to basics grass roots muscle car enthusiasts, who post out of utter glee and/or astonishment in their achievements.
If you care to stick around, and read what these guys’s have to say, you will undoubtedly pick up on a sense of camaraderie, which could only be replaced by personal relations.
As I say, I have been reading here for nearly a year, and having learned what these guys are about, finally decided to post a situation I found myself in. Unfortunately I had to tell the truth, as these guy’s always seem to do, and it was about being beat by a Honda of some sort, maybe an Accura, how the heck you spell it I’m not sure. They all responded with ha ha’s, Great story etc, and on guy even balled up to say “you probably made his day” That does not sound like a bunch of gloat-miesters to me.
Racing is a sport, and I for one do not know of anybody that takes part in a sport with intentions of loosing. Having said that, winning at a sport often means you enjoy recounting the moment with people who share a similar interest. I sure hope you feel differently when Dan Marino, Micheal Jordan, Wayne Gretkzy, Cal Ripken, Lance Armstrong etc, share great moments in their careers on national broadcast mediums.
This is a mustang owners/enthusiasts board where sharing such events takes place. It’s not like we are on some Honda board mouthing off and stirring it up, that I would consider un-sportsman like and trash talk.
No offense to Honda owners, they build some great vehicles. I choose rear wheel drive, and the only one Honda makes, quite frankly, I doubt I’ll ever be able justify the sticker price.

Have a happy new year all…
cleanLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 01:00 PM   #19
88GT5.013.02

Quantam I have always been a respectful winner AND loser. If I beat someone I always tell them what is done to my car if they ask. Or if they beat me then I will want to talk to them and see what they run. (These situations are only true when you are not street racing for money).

I have street raced for money many times. However, I have street raced more without money on the line. I am pretty involved with the street racing scene. I have had my share of wins and losses.

The only time when I start to get upset is when someone puts my car down. I have talked trash, it was a time when a supposed friend and I raced and he lied about it and said my car was a slow pos for having the mods that I had done to my car (Read '98SS story, in street racers forum).

I agree and see where you are coming from, but its everywhere. I was an all state middle linebacker at 5'10" 165lbs. I used to take so much crap from people that were bigger than me, saying they were going to declete me. Instead of going down onto their level, I focussed all of my anger into kicking their *** with my pads.

The philosophy that I carry into all competitive events: I respect all who compete, even trash talkers, but they will get what is coming to them. But if you can't defeat them then you must bite down and take it like a man.

------------------
88GT stock shortblock, ported GT-40 iron heads, ported Edlebrock Performer intake, 24# inj, Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAM, 3.73, hurst short throw, F-303, electric fan, alum rad, FMS HD clutch, R134a ac conversion, 70mm TB , and some other stuff I probably forgot, best run so far on ET streets is 13.02@106 with a 1.87 60ft.
Old 01-01-2001, 02:59 PM   #20
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

CleanLX, man, that was touching. I don't know if I could have stated it any better (seriously).
But I guess this is a small lesson for all of us just reminding us (whether we have been guilty or not) to be careful how to relate our stories. I guess.