MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-01-2001, 04:06 PM   #21
Rev
Registered Member

Does this mean I should reconsider the "Stomped the **** out of a POS ricer" post that I was getting ready to write? LOL.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 04:11 PM   #22
cleanLX
Registered Member

ya, good point.
cleanLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 04:36 PM   #23
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Quantum, what are you complaining about? I have been reading your posts here for a while and you always have good input. But here I really don't know what your going at.
People post their kills here thats the point. It doesn't say to post your loses, but people still post those too! Sometimes we dont like to let everyone know about being beat on. Also alot of people here have quick cars and don't pick on other cars that are way faster than them.

As you can see I have been here much longer than you have and I have seen many many loses.

Take my car for example. I run mid/high 13's on the street with street tires and I have honestly beat everyone in my town. Ive only lost to a supercharged saleen about a year and a half ago when I had no exhaust and no fuel system upgrades or tuning. Ive re-raced him since and beat him. So I'm close to undefeated and my car isnt even that fast.

Honestly I think your cranky because your car only runs 15's and you can't see how running just a second or two faster makes a lot of guys win races. Ride in a 13sec car. The difference is amazing. I pulled a 15.4@90mph in my stock integra.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS Heads, Edelbrock intake, E-303, 3.73's, 1 5/8 shorty headers, Offroad-Hpipe, 2chamber flows, 36psi FPR, playing with timing still, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, K/N, March Crank pulley, MSD6a, 9mm wires and FMS Aluminum driveshaft.
Best ET 13.2@106mph Needs tuning...
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 05:25 PM   #24
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Quantum:

Interesting thread.

I think most of can agree that when one takes the time, trouble and expense to buy or build a fast 'performance' car such as the Mustang V-8, then go to the trouble of taking it to the track or more likely, taking the risk of street racing it, that person is committed to 'performance' (going fast in a short amount of time; like 12 seconds or so) and when they are challenged or challenge another performance car driven by a like-minded person, it's reasonable for that individual to be elated or at least pleased when they win the race. That is simply a human trait.

To pretend that they feel no joy in winning would be 'PC' in the extreme. If that individual then posts the win in this forum (which is it's purpose) then that's a natural action, too, at least for the computer-savvy Mustang driver.

Should the winner bad-mouth his challenger? Depends on the situation of course but as a rule, no. Some Mustang drivers that modify and race their cars are young and/or aggressive and will 'talk trash' after a win; especially if it was unexpected.
That is somewhat regrettable but, within bounds of good taste, not a crime or worth getting too upset over, in my opinion.
Profanity and plain nastyness will be edited or deleted by the moderator(s) but some gloating is permitted. If you find that offensive and feel it indicates some lack of character on the part of the member, you are free to continue this discussion.

I believe that some bragging is just a part of the whole street-racing scene and I'm not offended by it in the least; again, within the bounds of reality and some good taste.

One can be over-sensitive here. As others have pointed out, this is a high-performance, street racing-related forum. To expect folks to downplay their wins and somehow 'balance' things out by posting all losses as well as wins or at least to not be 'too happy' about winning strikes me as an over-reaction and smacks of the absurd PC concept that 'No One Is a Loser' in any contest, as the 'loser' term will harm someone's precious self-esteem. Please. Are we children or adults here?

Losing to some guy with a faster car doesn't harm anyones 'self-esteem' and beating someone else doesn't make anyone a better person; just someone who won a street race, no more or less. Most of us here understand that and respond accordingly to our wins and losses. Those who don't will probably realize (eventually) that a fast car doesn't make you any 'better' than anyone else, just a person with a fast car, and as we all know; there is always someone faster out there.

Let's just enjoy our cars, our races and our wins, and not nit-pick and over-analyze the act of racing to the point of making it something else to fret over. Life is too short. Worry about cancer, economic depressions, the Bomb, bad tacos, whatever.
Take Street Racing as the unique and personal 'sport' it is and always has been; done for instant gratification and maybe a bit of momentary joy in winning, which is all to hard to find in this life.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 05:46 PM   #25
teal93LX
Registered Member

damn quantam..did you miss an appointment wiht your therapist? i sense alot of deep seded anger there..i was under the impression that this board was expressly here for "bragging" about your victories..we can all spot the people who exaggerate and they are usually called on it..i love my mustang, and when i go out and am fortunate enough to beat someone, i come on this board and post it..not to brag, but beacuse i know most people here can relate to the feeling of winning a competition (this one just being one car vs another) and being psyched when you get to beat someone..i think you're reading into this WAY too deep..As for me i think i may have posted 3 races on this board..one of them was a post about losing twice in one day..i just dont get what you're saying i guess, but most people here seem to be good sports about winning and losing and none really seem to "brag" as much as you are implying...oh well, thats my .02..
and old expression does come to mind though...."It aint braggin, if it's true"
teal93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 06:57 PM   #26
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Just curious, do you ever street race Mr 5 0? I don't think I can remember ever seeing you post a street racing story and being the moderator of the forum you must have some sort of intrest in it....

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 07:36 PM   #27
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

I think alot of the users posting in this thread simply fail to understand my purpose behind this post. I like Mr 5.0's post very much, however there are a few things I don't agree with. I never said anything about not feeling joy when winning. As I have said before, I love winning as much as all of you. I think everyone should be able to understand that when racing someone, the fun should not be in winning, the fun should be in racing. Sure, it is more fun to win, but I enjoy racing almost as much as I enjoy winning. I realize that most of the posts in this forum are within the guidlines of the forum, so I guess I'm not just questioning the few posts that break the forums guidlines by trashtalking, I'm also questioning the forum as a whole. Call me old fashioned, call me PC, maybe it's the fact that I'm from a southern town where everyone is fairly kind to each other, but in my opinion there is nothing like a good ole friendly race. The races I enjoy the most are the ones where both cars are so close that each driver stuggles as hard as they can to pull ahead and no one does. Because, in my opinion one could identify with a fellow driver best if neither was the loser and neither was the winner. My all-time favorite street race that I have participated in was while driving around town and a black 5.0 t-bird, same year as my cougar, pulled up next to me and threw me a rev. We raced up to about 80 at which point we slowed down and both almost instinctively pulled over into a parking lot where we both popped our hoods and began to rant about our cars. Neither of us had ever seen another cougar/tbird that had anything done to it. And it turned out that this guy was someone I went to elementary school with. I had never been friends with him, but to this day I have never had more respect for an almost perfect stranger.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny
15.43 @ 91.08mph (not shabby for a 3600 pound car)
60' 2.453 Street tires suck!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 08:24 PM   #28
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QuantumMotorsports:
I'm from a southern town where everyone is fairly kind to each other, but in my opinion there is nothing like a good ole friendly race...I had never been friends with him, but to this day I have never had more respect for an almost perfect stranger.

"Small town" friendliness is great but I'm sad to say it just isn't present anywhere else. Once a sore loser pulled a gun on my cousin after my cousin won by a small margin. Ricers here are always flipping me off, either if I win or if I decline to race.

It kinda annoys me that there used to be more camraderie and respect among street racers, because that's definitely not the case anymore.

I'm showing my gray hairs by saying this, but it used to be a lot more fun in the 80s when the only "enemies" we had were cops.

------------------
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.

[This message has been edited by NO SLO PK (edited 01-01-2001).]
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 08:59 PM   #29
69fastback
IRAQ VET

alot of people got alot to say on this subject. I just look at it like this it is the same as in sport u are going to be proud of ur team this case mustang. There are classy was of doing it and then u can be a jerk about it. Which one u choose is up to u. Just remeber when u are braging about how fast ur car is what u thought when the guy across the street was doing the same thing. It was probably something like I yeah right ur car sucks i can whip it anyday or damn i hate this guy doesn't he ever sut up.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 10:22 PM   #30
cobrayankee
Registered Member

This may be a repeat post of information (I didn't read all of them, no time). I just wanted to say that it was mentioned by "Quantum" that he now knows what kind of people post here. Yeah, I do too. Very humble, respectable people. If you look back about 3 or 4 months of posts, I asked the guys and girls here to post their worst losses. They were more than open to post them and also added that they learn from their losses as much, if not more, than their wins. I just think it was the way the topic was presented. Seriously, go back and check it out if it goes back that far. You'll see a bunch of stories where the guys herre have lost and were very willing to talk about it. Just my 2 cents...

------------------
1997 Cobra (Black on black), C+L 80mm MAF, K+N filter, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, BBK off road H pipe.
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 11:35 PM   #31
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Yep, i remember that, i remeber repying a time a porsch 928 or 944 made me look like i grabbed the emergency brake, he spanked me but that was then, and i'll.....ehh no trash talkin on this one j/k
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 12:53 AM   #32
withamc
Registered Member

"I think everyone should be able to understand that when racing someone, the fun should not be in winning, the fun should be in racing."??? Wouldn't that be kinda like watching the Super Bowl and they didn't keep score? This politically correct idea that we can all be winners, that losing is harmful to one's self esteem blows my mind. If you want the thrill of winning a race, put some money into your car or work on your launch until you win, but for God's sake don't tell me that beating on my chest and jumping up and down when I found out that all the work I've been putting into my 'stang for the last six months allowed me to beat a blown '95 GT convertible is WRONG!
Now give me my Prozac and lead me to my padded cell, Igor...
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 01:33 AM   #33
racin85
Registered Member

The only thing I'm wondering is, people talk trash about cars they beat but they have limits on cars they would run?The way I look at it is a race is a race.I'll run any oncomers,not because I got a big head,I like to race.Look at it like the movie Any Given Sunday, on any day u can win or lose,take the chance to race the guy u know should beat u.One last thing I would like to say is everyone talks trash now and again,u just need to know when the trash needs taken out.

------------------
85 capri,balanced .030 over 79 302,windage tray polished/weight matched rods w/arp bolts.63 289 heads port/polish with FMS windsor springs. Torker 289 intake,514 solidcam,1.6rr.mac long tubes,off-road h,and pro dumps.T-5`4.10's on auburn HD carrier.NOS CHEATER kit,pullies and plenty more.Best NA run
1.683 60ft 7.837 @ 87 12.353 @ 109.05
NOS,11.21@ 116 1.49 60ft
racin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 02:14 AM   #34
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

That brings up another point. Several people have said that they pick their races carefully and that's why they haven't lost. If you know you're going to win, what fun is that? It's not the gambling that excites you, nor just the fact that you are racing fast cars, it's the plain and simple fact that you won a competition. That is unhealthy. I mean, there are several reasons why I haven't made my car into a 13 second car or a 10 second car, I could have, I definately have had the money at times to do just that. I guess to me, just having a car that is fun to drive and fun to race is enough to keep me happy. And I've got better things to spend my money on. I've also got things that I have to spend money on other than my car. And I'm proud of that. I'm proud that all of my earnings don't go into something that really doesn't mean all that much. Some of my best friends and the people I respect more than anyone drive minivans, nissan sentras, VW bugs. I have a lot of friends that drive mustangs and other ford cars, but who cares. Just because someone drives a ford doesn't mean they are a good person, and I'm not trying to piss anyone off, but I think that's been proven several times in this thread.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, P&Ped heads, 2.25" custom mandrel bent dual pipes, T5 five speed tranny
15.43 @ 91.08mph (not shabby for a 3600 pound car)
60' 2.453 Street tires suck!!!

[This message has been edited by QuantumMotorsports (edited 01-02-2001).]
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 02:26 AM   #35
fordmanck
Registered Member

Quantum, you have issues. You are basically attacking the integrity of the people that frequent this board. I have a solution for you. If you do not like it, don't come here. It's that simple. We don't care that you have other things to put money into, I do too. I am into computers just as much as my car, I split my extra money on mods for each one.

The fact of the matter is most of us have relatively fast cars, some of us have really fast cars. Hell, when people ask me if my car is fast I say no, its quick. But the fact is I run low 12 second 1/4's, there isn't too much around here that will beat me, yes there are some LS1's and a few Vipers, and I will be the first to tell you I have lost to both. Hell I even lost to a VW rabbit on steroids, off the bottle though. But I will tell you that story anytime.

I know I am rambling here, but you have struck a nerve with me. The basic fact is, you came in here and attacked the whole forum, what did you expect, dinner invitations. I realize you drive a 15 sec car and another thing is one of your posts was made not too far after 12 on New Years which leads me to believe you weren't doing too much and maybe that upset you. Bottom line is if you don't like it here you don't have to be here! Noone is holding a gun to your head, leave now and take what you have left of your dignity. Sorry for the rant guys, but I was over this guy after the his post.
fordmanck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 01:59 PM   #36
Kevin Price
Registered Member

As I have always said:

To each his own.

We all do the things we do for different reasons. That is our choice. So why is there a need for criticism here?

You have an appreciation for automobiles as do all of us. What we choose to do with them is our choice. It is a hobby that can be taken to any extent that we care to.

Street racing is done for the fun of it. Above all, that is the main reason why we do it. Coming out with the victory is just icing on the cake and I think we can all agree on that. I would venture to say that most of us turn most of our own wrenches on our cars. With this in mind we have a greater appreciation for our work and our investment. You are happy with your car and it's performance, that is great. However, some of us strive for a little bit more and that's our choice. So what is wrong with this?

Nobody likes a sore loser and what's worse is a sore winner. However, both are out there, that's just a part of it. We just have to blow it off and move on.

I always appreciate the experiences our members share here. 99.9% of them are done so with excellent taste. Seems there is always a "thumbs up" to the winner OR loser. What's more is their willingness to post their losses right along with their victories, again, all in excellent taste. Is this an attribute of a trash talker?? I think not.

I dont see a lot of trash talking here so I am a bit unsure of how you can justify some of your remarks with respect to the members here at Mustang Works. Sure, there are always an exception to every rule but look at the big picture.

Also, most of us DID start out with slow cars, we've seen both sides of the coin which contributes to an even greater appreciation for our cars.

Again, to each his own.

------------------
SVO siamesed 351 stroked to 417ci,Yates heads, solid roller,Trans King glide and a little blue bottle
of giggle gas. My Car
Kevin Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 10:36 PM   #37
exgmguy
Registered Member

My only street loss last year was to a modded, nitroused WS6. Followed closely by a few DEAD NUTZ runs with Turbolx.

The track is a different story. I lose at least half the time there. But they trailer their cars there, and are basically total drag cars.

When I lose, I post.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT

12.0 @ 121 on radials
S-trim Vortech sitting in a box!
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 11:10 PM   #38
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Hey Michael,

Where the heck is Quantum Motorsports?

Do you own this shop? Is this a shop?

Do you have a website?

After showing us your woossy side, aren't you scared we won't encourage your business?

We want to win!

I'm not trying to bad mouth, but I have been noticing this Quantum Motorsport signature a lot.

------------------
Lizard King - 00GT

>> 13.698 @ 101.2MPH - BONE STOCK, yes BONE(even air filter) stock.

"I can do anything, I'm the Lizard King." - The Doors
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 12:44 AM   #39
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Hmmmm. Quantum, I wonder if you were refering to me when you made the comment about the ones who choose there races.

Its not that I look for easy pray, but if someone pulls up next to me in a ferrari, or say a Z06, I'm not even going to bother. I like good challenges, and I'm up for them. I prefer to race cars that are either just as powerfull as mine, or alittle more powerfull, not 3 notches above me. The reason for this is, if the cars are compriable, it relies more on the drivers skill than the machines power.

Oh racing is fun, its better than sex to me. I'm just saying I wont pick a fight with a 2000 or 2001 Camaro SS right at the moment because my driving skills with a manual could use some work, and i would need every driving advantage possible to beat a car with that much more power than mine.

Yes racing is fun, but winning the race makes things oh so good. I'm not a sore loser or a bad sport, I just hate losing. Now if I'm in a real good mood, and feeling kinda happy, I might pick a fight with a SS or a Vette, but usually I tend to be more realistic than that.

I guess what I consider fun differs from yours Quantum. I'll race with the Camaro Z28's and FireBird TA's and Formulas, Mustangs, hell even cobras and even the imports. But if you start talking about the high end machines like Vettes, 911's, NSX's and similar cars, it doesnt intrest me. I guess I take my street racing to serouily. Maybe thats it.

------------------
64 1/2 Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd.

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 12:55 AM   #40
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Cool

So Mercury

What would you do if a 2000 Porsches 911 Carrera 4 would pull to you and ask you if your machine moves?

------------------
Lizard King - 00GT

>> 13.698 @ 101.2MPH - BONE STOCK, yes BONE(even air filter) stock.

"I can do anything, I'm the Lizard King." - The Doors
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote