MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-25-2001, 03:05 AM   #1
Diddy
Registered Member

Post why is my stang so slow?

I am 16, and relatively new to mustangs, and I only got a 95 v6 automatic. (I wanted a 5-speed but mom cant drive stick) First of all, i know my car is slow due to these previous facts. I also know my car cant even dream of hanging with any of you guys with your 5.0s and 4.6s. I got a set of chrome cobra R's off of eBay, and it makes my car look pretty cool. My one performance mod is a flowmaster 50 series muffler. That certainly doesn’t make my car any faster. I dont want to spend any more money on this car because im saving to buy my dad's 01 Cobra in a few years. I just wondered if it was normal for a v6 automatic mustang to be slower than a '90 jeep, or a '95 neon, or a '95 Durango 5sp, or a '89 camrey 5sp?

[This message has been edited by Diddy (edited 10-25-2001).]
Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 12:35 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diddy:
I am 16, and relatively new to mustangs, and I only got a 95 v6 automatic. (I wanted a 5-speed but mom cant drive stick) First of all, i know my car is slow due to these previous facts. I also know my car cant even dream of hanging with any of you guys with your 5.0s and 4.6s. I got a set of chrome cobra R's off of eBay, and it makes my car look pretty cool. My one performance mod is a flowmaster 50 series muffler. That certainly doesn’t make my car any faster. I dont want to spend any more money on this car because im saving to buy my dad's 01 Cobra in a few years. I just wondered if it was normal for a v6 automatic mustang to be slower than a '90 jeep, or a '95 neon, or a '95 Durango 5sp, or a '89 camrey 5sp?

[This message has been edited by Diddy (edited 10-25-2001).]

My sister has a 95' auto stang and it is pretty slow my moms 98 GMC Jimmy would smoke it and my 00 GMC truck smokes it bad. The fact is you have a 17 sec. 1/4 mile car most likely and with that you wont win many races.

I have seen some fast V6 stangs. But to be honest with you if your mom drives the car too you probably are not going to be able to throw some nitrous or a super charger on it.

When I used to have my 96' V6 firebird I knew it was slow so I didnt waste any money on performance mods but my sound system was bad @ss. For now just stick to having a nice looking daily driver and go fast later.

Good luck

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers, mac cold air fender kit, 3.73 FMS gears, Steeds Tri-ax shifter, Steeda underdrive pullies, Custom off road X-pipe, 2 chamber flow masters, cowl hood, nitto drag radials, ford racing clutch, 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs. (Best E.T. 14.79@93mph @3000ft)
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 08:29 PM   #3
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Hmm.. I never can understand why anyone would buy the slowest model sports car. Its like having a car without the sport. All cons and no pros.
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 10:37 AM   #4
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Yes, its normal to see those other vehicles be faster then your stang. Just be happy that you have a stylish car at age 16. My first car was a '90 Nissan Stanza. And while it was a great car, it certainly didn't look that great.
Insurance would be crazy expensive if you had a V8 Stang anyway, and frankly, a 16 year old shouldn't start out with a fast car (I'm only 21, so don't tell me I sound like your parents, lol.)
I really like your plan of saving your money to buy your Dad's car. Thats a wise decision.

[This message has been edited by 91LX2Bfast (edited 10-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 91LX2Bfast (edited 10-26-2001).]
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 11:31 AM   #5
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowStang2:
Hmm.. I never can understand why anyone would buy the slowest model sports car.
I'll never understand why Ford would put anything smaller then a V8 in a stang anyway. Want a stylish car with good gas mileage get a Focus. Not that my AOD equiped 'vert is setting any 1/4 mile records.

That '90 Nissans a lot better then my '80 Olds Cutlass, except I did have the Buick 231 V6 .

------------------
'95 Chrome Yellow GT ragtop, KN filter charger, Dynomax cat back, Accel plugs and wires, Chromed '95 Cobra R's (bought for $19.95, now 2 are warped!).
http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1883
topless tire fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 08:14 AM   #6
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Quote:
Insurance would be crazy expensive if you had a V8 Stang anyway, and frankly, a 16 year old shouldn't start out with a fast car (I'm only 21, so don't tell me I sound like your parents, lol.)
What at 16 I got my stang. I had to let my dad drive it when he wanted but it was my car.
"A 16 year old shouldn't start out with a fast" That I dont Think it is a fast car Stock not a 12's car more like 14-13's. It is all in the way you thing.

------------------
14.28@103.0 on a G-Tech Engine: Steal Mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, Home ported Lower Intake, No power steering, No A/C
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5z,

Real power STUFF I Have and will put some time: Mac cold intake, 70MM TB, Valve covers (COOL ONES)255 Fuel pump NOS Dry 75HP, AFR 165 58cc, GT-40 Intake.
Next to get: Rocker Arms,Cam,Injectors 24, What might I need???See It at www.computerconquest.com
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 11:07 AM   #7
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I hate to say it, but it's taken me 3 wrecks in normal cars (1 was because of inexperience and losing control, 1 was a freak accident, and the other was because i couldn't slow down going down hill on wet ashphalt into a 5 car pileup about 100 yards away at 60mph).
I'm glad i didn't have a fast car at 16 now that i'm almost 21 because i certainly would have ruined it. I also didn't appreciate the value of a car as well and was cocky when it came to driving. It isn't to say a 16 year old can't handle a fast car, but i sure would've probably killed someone.
I'm envious of you diddy because i've never had that new or nice of a car. Just appreciate what you have and the fact that you can pick up high school girls in a nice looking mustang whether it's fast or not. I never had that opportunity.
Good luck and welcome to our obsession!
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 12:57 PM   #8
bstang46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by topless tire fryer:
I'll never understand why Ford would put anything smaller then a V8 in a stang anyway. Want a stylish car with good gas mileage get a Focus. Not that my AOD equiped 'vert is setting any 1/4 mile records.

That '90 Nissans a lot better then my '80 Olds Cutlass, except I did have the Buick 231 V6 .

It is for the women, MAN. If you have noticed that most women dont care about the motor. They are just on apperances.

And for the guy that is 16 with the V-6 Mustang. I think it is a good idea that you dont have a GT. I know becuase that is what i started out on. I had a 96 V-6 with a 5 speed. If i treated my car that I have now like i did that one I would kick my self in the *** . And I cant tell you this from previous expereinces. Girls dont car about what is under the hood it is what it looks like. So have fun with your stang.
bstang46 is offline   Reply With Quote