MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2002, 02:50 PM   #21
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Bottom line: run what you brung and split the bills at the big end of the track.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT

Last edited by silver_pilate; 11-12-2002 at 08:36 PM..
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 03:06 PM   #22
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Default Re: got a few details

Quote:
Originally posted by slow98
but on thing that got me was he said it was 5 lug..anybody know if these cars were 5 lug because i thought all fox bodys were 4 lug...?
Yep, its a 5 lug with disc brakes.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:25 PM   #23
SVOCOP
Registered Member

The SVOs came with five lugs as well as 16 inch wheels. Thats pretty big by mid 80's standards. The Ranger cams from certain years are roller cams while the SVO cams are not. You can pick up a few ponies pretty cheap just from the swap from a wrecked Ranger. You have to remember that the SVOs also came out with 4-wheel disc brakes. Ford wouldn't do that again until the 93 Cobra. Also the 93 Cobras use the SVO taillight lense. The SVO is considered to be the beginning of Fords Special Vehicles program. Originally it was called Special Vehicles Operations.....now It's called the Special Vehicles Team(SVT), so technically the SVO is the Cobras and Lightnings older brother.
SVOCOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 10:42 PM   #24
slow98
Registered Member

Post svo to svt

with all this history i would imagin that they are worthe good little chunk of money is this correct?what similarities does the engine bare with the turbo thunderbirds? is it the same engine?and what did they run stock when they were new?i would like to see ford put out a turbo version of the svt focus to put that new neon in its place hehe....also one more thing, what were they rated at stock as far as hp and tq?
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
slow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:48 AM   #25
Aquaman
Registered Member

Default Re: svo to svt

Quote:
Originally posted by slow98
with all this history i would imagin that they are worthe good little chunk of money is this correct?what similarities does the engine bare with the turbo thunderbirds? is it the same engine?and what did they run stock when they were new?i would like to see ford put out a turbo version of the svt focus to put that new neon in its place hehe....also one more thing, what were they rated at stock as far as hp and tq?
Their Value has not dropped as low as some of the 5.0's from the same years but they are not worth a fortune either. They were about 6-7K more then a 5.0 GT Mustang from the same year when new and as someone stated above had limited sales due to that. Ford Hoped that they could catch onto the Turbo Scene like Dodge did but the 5.0 was just as fast or faster and WAY cheaper.

They were made from 84-86 and changed the Engine output and Headlamp configuration in the 1985.5 model year from 175hp to 205hp the headlamps were recesed but in 85.5 became flush with the front. Aside from 4 wheel disks and 16's they had KONI shocks, Recaro seats and a MOMO shift knob.The Engine was basicaly the same as the one on the T-Birds and the Merkur XR4Ti just in a lighter vechicle. The 84-85's ran mid to high 15's while a 85.5 and 86 could go high 14's with the right driver. With some minor mods, either year could be made to run low 14's pretty easy (turbo's are a wonderfull thing) with a boost controller and a larger intercooler.

They were good handlers able to gain about 2 seconds on a "stock" 5.0 mustang on a 1.5 mile road course putting it near the Camaro's from the time (actually ahead of them in 84 and 85)

I always liked them my Uncle had a 85.5 and put a spearco intercooler on it turned the boost up to 16 put 2.5" exhaust on it and the thing was pretty damn fast for the day we were dead even in my very stock 86 928S up to 110 or so when I would pull on him. Some poeple hate the way they look but I like it The off center intigrated Scoop, the Bi-Wing rear spoiler, smooth nose etc...

I dont know anything about the one involved in this race but low to mid 12's in one should be pretty simple with today's technology and theres more then 1 LS1 WS6 running mid 13's even with a lid and Exhaust so beating one by 12-15 cars is quite believable.