MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-13-2001, 04:39 PM   #1
rbatson

Thumbs up Yamaha 750

I saw 3 guys riding together on cafe racers up ahead in traffic. I'm doing my best to get up with them and finally I get a break. I ride behind them for awhile and one of them is doing wheelies and such(pretty cool). They are taking up both lanes when a SUV comes flying up behind them and they make way, I slip in beside them and cruise at their speed to check out their bikes and notice they all seem to be 750s. I give the ol' stang a few stabs to provoke I know what they were thinking "what does this mustang guy think he's doing", I actually expected to get smoked. You are not going to believe what happened next (I'm not sure I do), one of the guys gets right next to me and I see him taking off and his frony end lifting... I'm ready. I slap it back to 2nd and floor it. What's this?? We are next to each other and I just look over and am passing him. Strange feelings, passing a 750 cafe. I looked in the rear view and see his buddys way behind just looking at each other, oh and the smoke from my car(did I mention I still got some tuning to do?). I slow down and we are all cruising together again and the guy who was doing the wheelies is checking out the car then waves, I'm waiting for him to jump but he just waves again so I wave back. He never jumped, we just cruised 'til I had to turn off. Oh and they never looked over again. Man I never thought I could run with a sports bike, but I guess they aren't as fast as I thought. On second thought, maybe the rider just has to have the balls to push it. Either way, it was cool as h3ll.

Its nice to be able to downshift into 2nd again... Where is that damn RX-7!!

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 11/5/2000)
My 97 Cobra
Old 01-14-2001, 07:59 PM   #2
inferno
The Instigator

First off, let me start this off by saying that I am not trying to flame here....just stating a fact. Most 750 sportbikes will run in the 10's so from a roll, you shouldn't have stood a chance with an experienced rider. Hell, some 600's will run 10's!!! I could see you staying with him off the line with the mods that you have listed but he should have ripped you up top.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 09:24 PM   #3
rbatson

Actually off the line is where I think I would have been smoked bad. The bike was an older bike, mid 80s- early 90s and had been repainted. I sold bikes about 10 years ago and rode a V-Max at that time(got rear-ended while riding it, I sold it immediately, scary). I don't know if the 750 bike of that time was a 10s ride and I've forgotten almost everything I knew about bike except that they are fast and dangerous. I'm thinking of getting another one(guess I'm forgetting how dangerous they are too). All I know is what happened, maybe he didn't downshift. Too bad you weren't riding shotgun, it was awesome. The guy was heavy set, maybe that worked to my favor too.

I was actually waiting for someone to be the sceptic, heck I would be too.... but I was there... DOH!
Old 01-14-2001, 11:02 PM   #4
Jason-SilverGT '92
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Rick,I know how you feel... The first time I actually beat a bike in my car I was like WTF!!!! I had a buddy in my car and some friends were following us when a group of bikes turned on from a side road. A couple of them took off and we caught up to check them out (I am big crotch rocket fan...I drive a GSXR750 whenever weather permits along w/ my friends). I see them look over and a Honda CBR600F3 starts to jump next to me. Well, not wanting to look like a wuss w/ friends around I say screw it a drop 2nd. Amazingly, I pulled him till we let off in 4th. I was exstatic to say the least. They gave a thumbs up and I told them how surprised I was. After that the next week I took my car to the bridge and ran my buddies (one on a 900RR and the other on a ZX9R) I got the jump on them, actually they let me get out about 2 car lengths, but still the CBR900 never caught me and the ZX only passed me after 150mph. I was again surprised, because like said before these are 10sec bikes and I know these guys and I know they can ride like hell!!! What I guess I'm trying to say is that roll racing doesn't really give you a good measure as far as drag racing. There is too much involved in rpm's of 1 vehicle vs. another, but I will admit it is gratifying to see the headlights of a crotch rocket in your rear view know that he knows he can't catch up!!!
-Jason
P.S.--Rick,hunt down 900RR's and you will see that they are barely faster than most newer model 600's. Have Fun!!
Jason-SilverGT '92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 01:32 AM   #5
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by rbatson:
Actually off the line is where I think I would have been smoked bad...
Off the line you would have had a chance to get a jump because most 750's and smaller bikes(especially older ones) don't have a lot of low end power.

And as far as Jason's comment about 900RR's being barely faster than 600's, that goes the same for comparing most 600's to 900's; the 600's are getting more Hp and getting lighter with better chasis' while the 900's are not making very much improvement horsepower wise....some 600's have better chasis than 900 bikes...a case in point is the 2001 GSXR600...it is barely slower than the 900.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 02:19 PM   #6
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Don't bikes hook super hard on street tires? I think off the line they'd be more of a challenge also. They don't need much lowend because of their small weights. Up top might be a different story once you're into the powerband and traction isn't as much of an issue in Mustangs.

------------------
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 04:45 PM   #7
Jason-SilverGT '92
Registered Member

Yes...bikes do hook hard as hell, but are limited by the rider's skill, or balls or whatever you wanna call it. I can launch fairly decent on my bike, but there are many times I've been smoked by other bikes off the light. I just started riding last year, but for the most part I can launch on most street cars easily! As far as at the track I'm sure I'd get yanked by a slicked big cubed monster. The only way a car may have a chance against a bike out of the hole on the street would be on concrete w/ slicks and one mean *** launch....unless you run against some unnervy riders.

------------------
351w...best E/T to date 12.59@114mph on BFG Radial T/A's
Old 01-16-2001, 10:21 PM   #8
rbatson

Thumbs up

Hey Jason, its nice to know someone else has surprised a bike. It felt great!! I told a guy at work about it and he said he wanted to race me, he said I'll give you a lead. HAHAH He has a serious bike, a R1 (I guess that's serious). Last night I told him I'd expect to lose but I said " what if you give me the lead and never catch me??". ROFL... You should have seen the look on his face. I asked him tonight if he was ready to go and he was like "naw man I ain't ready" Kinda shrugged his shoulders and started talking about something else.

People always ask why everyone talks so much trash all the time, that's why - its fun!(when its good natured ofcourse)
Old 01-17-2001, 02:49 PM   #9
sedanman
Registered Member

I have to disagree with the comment that most 750's run 10's I would say the average 750 would run mid 11's with a normal competent rider, the only real fast 750 is the GXSR witch could probably hit high 10's with a normal rider and mid 10's with a good rider. Next tire you got to the track ask to look at a couple of bikes ticket I bet most only have 1.6-1.7 60ft. why because most cant ride them good enough to get the most out of them.

Also if the biker does not know his bike well enough to know which gear to kick it down to he could loose easily because of the narrow power band of most jap bikes.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 04:41 PM   #10
Jason-SilverGT '92
Registered Member

Wink

Rick...Guess he (the guy w/ the R1) is scared of hurting his pride HEHE!!! Just beware of that R1 they are fast as **** ...waxed my buddies ZX9R which is the fastest out of our group (GSXR750, CBR900RR, R6). Guess you could keep yanking his chain for an intimidation factor that may cause him to goof up when it comes time to run. Good Luck!!!
-Jason

------------------
Old 01-18-2001, 02:46 AM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

To this I'd have to point out the extreme differences in the performance level from just about 5 year old bikes to todays models.

Say about a '93 600 rocket will make right around 65-70hp. Today they are making between low and high 90's. That's a huge difference. The early 90's 750's I've seen make about 75hp. The new ones make in the low 100's.

The last stock dyno I've seen on a 900RR was just plain pathetic. 117hp max, the Ninja ZX9R made 134hp. That's a huge difference. The Hayabusa on the dyno made 154hp. Keep in mind, these are RWHP numbers. The 900RR is just plain doggy compared to the Ninja, which as unbelieveable as it seems made over 120hp for 3500rpms. Just as long as the Hayabusa did. The 9R pulled so strong and so flat, unreal, the 'Bus of course would have managed it longer, but you run out of rpm's to keep pushing. Of course if you were to say, ahem... put a 997 big bore kit and play with the 900RR motor a little, I've seen it change from the stock numbers to numbers that challange the Hayabusa.

Even a well driven near stock 5.0 can hang with a early 90's 600 on a roll above 40mph. I can usually beat them. The 750's would of course be more difficult, but it's the hole shot and 0-60 that gives them such a huge advantage.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 01:45 AM   #12
IH8GM
Registered Member

Nice dream guys.......it's time to wake up.
12.59 @ 114 is going to beat a 900rr. I don't think so.

Stock 5.0 will beat most 90's 600. Wrong again.

------------------
93 ex FHP 5spd,3.08,16' pony wheels with GoodYear GSC's,ac,ps,pb that's it.
MODS. Mac cld.air kit,short belt,relocate ACT sensor to driver side fender well,moved batt. to the trunk.
135K and still going.
Best ET 13.834 @100.6 mph
Best 60' 1.99

IH8GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 02:12 AM   #13
exgmguy
Registered Member

I heard that.....

I trap 120+ and still just creep by new 600's on the freeway.

I know a 900 would hand me my a$$.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 12:11 PM   #14
Beef
Registered Member

If you have a car that can run solid 12s, I would say you have a good chance with some older 600s. New 600s are at or over 100hp at the wheel. The new GSXR750 is in the 120 range.

Beating a bike is easy if they cant ride. well maybe not easy, but not as hard
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 07:27 PM   #15
Jason-SilverGT '92
Registered Member

That 12.59 is run on radials w/ a pathetic 2.18+ 60ft'r. My car is capable of dipping into the eleven's and that best of was about 2 years ago at the track. Since then there have been a few mods for improvements as well as tuning. Make sure you know the car before you speak...I've been lazy about track and dyno time..these are old figures, but I don't like to guesstimate what I'm at now so I just tell the truth saying that's the best known of time. I could easily lie and say 11.80 @120+, but I'm not like that.
Thanks-Jason
Quote:
Originally posted by IH8GM:

------------------
Old 01-21-2001, 07:32 PM   #16
Jason-SilverGT '92
Registered Member

Also if you read my post they (the 900rr and zx9r) let me have the jump by about 2 cars which translates roughly to .5 seconds+ because of time to react, distance, etc. I never said I beat the 900rr or zx from a stand still or an even roll-on, just that when they gave me the jump the 900RR couldn't run me down..the ZX9R passed me at 150mph+. If you don't believe me I can have them post for verification or whatnot. On the other hand I can and have beat several 600F3's and 1 or 2 ZX7R (if you know about bikes then you know the ZX7R is about the slowest performance 700 out there..at least the mid 90's models).
-Jason
Quote:
Originally posted by IH8GM:

Old 01-21-2001, 07:41 PM   #17
Jason-SilverGT '92
Registered Member

As far as a 900RR handing you your A**.. I think you'd be surprised. My brother has a new R6 that stays dead even w/ the '95 900RR till the top of 4th about 140mph give or take 5mph. We've swapped riders to see if it was driving capability but it isn't...the R6 is light as a feather even compared to my light 750, the 900RR might as well be a Greyhound bus if you want to compare weights. The 900RR only has about 20rwhp on the R6. Also are the bikes you guys race stock or not. You can't tell by looking and just something as simple as exhaust will give them 10hp...doesn't sound like much but when your bike weighs only 400lbs thats alot.
Take care-Jason
Quote:
Originally posted by exgmguy:
I heard that.....

I trap 120+ and still just creep by new 600's on the freeway.

I know a 900 would hand me my a$$.
Old 01-21-2001, 09:30 PM   #18
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

I almost beat my employees 1992 Kawasaki 500EX bike... actually I was not even close once he hit 60MPH.

That bike (rough shap) was probably running 13.0

I have a problem with the whole concept of beating any 750s sportsbikes unless your car is on the track with slicks, supercharger, nos... the works.

Bike has 100HP+ and about 400lbs. Your car has 260HP??? 3500lbs?? Ratio not even close.

I choose to flame and disagree.

------------------
Lizard King - 00GT

>> 13.698 @ 101.2MPH - BONE STOCK, yes BONE(even air filter) stock.

"I can do anything, I'm the Lizard King." - The Doors
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 10:01 PM   #19
rbatson

Lizard King are you saying you don't believe me?? Really you don't?? Oh well, Wish you were there!!

------------------
Rick
My 97 Cobra
Old 01-21-2001, 10:06 PM   #20
rbatson

Actually, now that I think about it I've put plenty of $$$ in this car and whether you believe me or not makes no difference, none whatsoever. But if you want to try it first hand your welcome to. (I've come to the point where I've put so much $$ into the car I don't even care, if I lose I lose ....if I win... The bragging rights are mine!!!!)

No wait... you choose to flame not disagree... Ok you run 13.6s and I ran 13.8s before the new motor. I'm assumming 11s for my ride right now. I could be wrong it could be 12s or maybe 10s.. its hard to tell til you get it on the track. So that being the case, I'll say 11.6s just for the hell of it. .1 of a second is a car length so 2.0 of a seconds is ummm... 20 car lengths?? So you think you could take that ex500 with 20 car lengths????????

Don't flame me!! I don't lie!!

------------------
Rick
My 97 Cobra

[This message has been edited by rbatson (edited 01-21-2001).]