View Single Post
Old 01-27-2001, 02:24 PM   #1
Rev
Registered Member

Post Z-3 M BMW Loses to '66 Coupe.....barely

First good run I've had in some time. I saw this Z-3 BMW ahead and then saw the 2 chrome exhaust tips on each side. Yes there were the fender flares and the wide tires. When I got closer, I saw the M badge. This was my lucky day, but would he run? We're on a wide boulevaurd street in Houston, divided by Braes bayou with 3 lanes on each side. At the light I gave a mild rev which he ignored. We started off easy and I thought he wasn't gonna go, but I had the C-4 in low in case he did. Sure enough, at 20 he nailed it. This gave him a 1/2 length jump that he maintained through 1 st gear. After that I pulled on him slowly and passed him at 60-70. I don't watch the tach or speedo when street racing (just keep my eyes glued to road ahead and shift by ear) so I'm not sure of the exact speed. After I pulled ahead abput 1/2 car he let off probably at 70-75. I've never gotten one of these yuppy types to go before in any BMW M, so I was happy.

I think there are 2 versions of the Z-3 M. Maybe a 3.0/290 hp and a 3.2/330 hp. Does anyone know how to determine which it was. All I saw was the M and that was enough to get my adrenaline going. Does anyone know what these cars do in the 1/4 mile?

The car was quick. I would have preferred not to go from a roll, but apparently that was how he wanted it, maybe so he could get the jump. Anyway, it was a fun race and a legitimate kill.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote