MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-12-2001, 04:57 PM   #1
Rev
Registered Member

Post Porsche 911 Carrera loses badly to '66 coupe

Cruising down the beltway feeder roads in Houston is my favorite place to look for races. Not too many places for police to hide and good wide lanes for long stretches with a few lights where you can line up. Today I saw a red Porsche 911 vert. When I came up on him a the the light I saw that it was a Carrera. It was not new, I'm guessing 8-10 years old, and slightly dirty. There were two college aged guys in it and we were next to each other at a red light. I just couldn't resist it. I gave a long hard rev and they looked over kind of suprised. He reved back not once but 2 or 3 times. I was so hyped I was about to go in my pants. I'd wanted to run a 911 for along time now but could never get amyone interested.

I left as hard as my car will at the green light and after a few seconds looked in the rear view. It appeared as if the guy didn't go at all. WTF. I just let off and what did he do but a fly by getting maybe 6-7 cars ahead. There was lots of room ahead so I floored it and caught him at 90 mph. Both had to let off due to traffic ahead. The passenger pointed ahead with his index finger so I knew it wasn't over. When we got through the traffic there was lots of room ahead. I was ahead of him and just waited at 40 mmh. He came up fast, I dropped to 2nd in the C-4 and when he was beside me, I went. At 90 again I was at least 6-8 cars ahead. He came up again, gave a beep, beep and a thumbs up.

I was happy to win but kind of sad that he was so slow. The only explanations I have are:
1.) It was old, maybe 10 years old.
2.) It was a vert.
3.) He had a passenger; I didn't.
4.) It may have not been in good shape or not good tune. The pop up headlights were stuck in the up position with out the lights on. That's my only clue here, leading me to believe it was not well maintained.

I was definitely disappointed in the performance of that particular 911. I just thought they were all pretty fast. This one wasn't any faster than the new Boxter that I beat a while back. This Crerra couldn't have been more than a high 14's car.

Any opinions on this, I would love to hear them. Maybe next time, I'll get a fast one to go (and get it handed tome too).

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 05:32 PM   #2
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

You had a right to clober that one...

There has been some major improvements on the Carrera since the past 10 years.

The new ones run 13.5-13.6.

Nice Kill Dude.

------------------
Lizard King, Bone Stock; 13.69 at 101MPH
Extreme Burnout
2000GT VS LS1
Quartermile run
2000GT vs LX Stang

Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 05:44 PM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Cool

Good run Rev. It's cool they were cool about getting beat twice. I take it you don't have a shift kit in the C4 since you felt you needed to manually shift into 2nd.

Pretty sure the 911 Carreras (10 years ago or newer) run low to mid 14s in current times depending on how much they're dogged out by 2001. The upper '90s Carreras should run high 13s to low 14s (maybe a tad quicker).

Either way, whatever the reason, YOU WON. That's the thing about street racing: no excuses like, "well I missed a gear" or "I was spinning too much off the line" or "if I took out my spare tire and jack I would've beaten you".

Maybe it was 10 years old but how old is your car? How long ago did you build your engine?

My point: No excuses for the Porsche Rev. You beat it not once but twice. If it were the other way around, if someone in a newer car (for example a 2001 SS) races a FOX4 Mustang and wins, you won't hear "well, his the Mustang was about 10 years old, so I can see why I beat him" from the SS driver, right.

Yeah, I know you were just being honest and giving details. Also, I know it was kind of a let down. That's how I felt when I first raced a few of the SN95 GTs.

I'm not yelling at you, just venting.

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup w/ 4" Cowl
Stock 5.8L, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 08:09 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Yes FB, I do have a B $ M shift kit in the C-4 and a TCI 2500 stall. The shift kit only firms up the shifts. The C-4 governor still shifts at 5000 no matter how I set the vacumm modulator. I just do the the L-D-L-D thing to shift at 5500 which is best for me. I realize this is a goofy way to shift, but I learned it in my '56 Ford Fairlane and so I'm familiar with it. Seems normal to me after all these years.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 04-12-2001, 09:40 PM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Oops. Forgot bout the shift points .

I'm gonna adjust modulator Sunday' cause I'm getting a little flare up b/t 1 and 2.

From 1-2, it shifts at ~5300 rpm and from 2-3 it shifts at ~4900. Usually, I just let it shift by itself if already rolling cause I get a great jump on the opponent, but if I'm running from the light (if against a worthy opponent), I'll manually shift at 5400 rpm.

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup w/ 4" Cowl
Stock 5.8L, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 09:46 PM   #6
AJSTANG
Registered Member

Good race! Sounds like when he got serious the second time around you beat him anyway!
AJSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 09:59 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

I want to race a new 911 (not a turbo). If I get beat by an $85,00 car, I'll post it and by how much. Shuld be by a few lengths if he can drive. What I like about the C-4 is it's always the same (on similar pavement). Lays rubber for twenty feet and then it's hooked for sure (dry pavement). No worries about launching. Just hold it at the brake at 1000 RPM, watch the light close, and stand on it. What's really sad is I don't think that 911 could even spin his wheels if he wanted to (RWD I know).

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 04-13-2001, 01:19 AM   #8
Fostang
Registered Member

Yup gotta love a c-4 althought I always have my hurst v-matic shifter in ratchet mode. So I'm use to shifting like that. Only thing is that when I leave it in drive it shifts at 4 grand all the way around. I know I could change the governor but it's ok like that for now or what do you think guys? The only complain I have about my set up is that I can't take off at a very high rpm because it sits there and spins the 10 inches of traction that I have.

------------------
67'fastback- Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, valve springs. Road lifters, Comp Cam rocker arms, windage tray, cerama coated headers, dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4, tci stall converter, perma cool electric fan, aluminum water pump, griffen aluminum radiator, accel 8.8 cable, wide cap distriburator, magnetic pick up, manley valves, v-matic hurst shifter, edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump, ignitor coil, solid motor mounts, magna racing suspension, poly urathane bushings, und
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 12:56 PM   #9
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Thumbs up

Sweet kill REV!~ You know those guys thought they were the sh1t in their PORSCHE! Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 05:53 AM   #10
69fastback
IRAQ VET

i love to race those type of cars. I used to go to beverly hills just to look for them. Nice kill. U know if u put a manuale vavle body in ur c-4 u dont have to do all that and can shift it at what ever rpm u want
I put a tci manuel vavle body in my c6 and it made a huge difference

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 06:05 PM   #11
Rev
Registered Member

69fastback, with the manual valve body, don't you lose all ability to shift automaticly? I kind of want to maintain the ability to leave it in drive and just putter around if I want to.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 04-15-2001, 07:07 PM   #12
PGkelly
Registered Member

Question

if it had pop-up headlights, then it probably wasn't a 911, unless it had the slant-nose treatment. i heard that at one point that was an option from the factory, but i don't think so. if it was a 911, and it had pop-ups, then it was aftermarket. and if that was done, then suspension or engine work might have been done too. are you sure it wasn't a 944/928? those were front-engined, and the 928 even had a 5.0L V-8! they both had pop-up headlights, only the ones on the 928 were always exposed, only when they weren't in use they pointed straight up. anyhoo, if it was really a 911 w/pop-ups, that is pretty rare, and probably aftermarket. Good kill anyways.

p.s. those things have air-cooled motors, at least until they new gen.

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 07:30 PM   #13
Rev
Registered Member

For sure, it was rear engine and said "Carrera" accross the engine cover. Itlooked like all the 911's I've ever seen. It had kind of a molded rear bumper (red to match body color) And big block letters that were black and said "PORSCHE" accross the bumper. It did have pop up head lights in the up position. Anyone know the vintage? I'm curious myself here. I'm betting around 90-92.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 04-15-2001, 07:54 PM   #14
Rev
Registered Member

If someone told me that it was 1980, I wouldn't argue. I really am only guessing at the year.

Rev
Old 04-16-2001, 03:39 AM   #15
Power
Registered Member

Good kill, wish I had mine up to your standard. I have the 3-speed not the C4 so I'm always afraid to shift too hard and hear the infamous clunk and loss of power.

Glad to see an older stang get some advertisement.

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289 w/ man. 3-speed, nothing special but the fact that it is my first mustang. I am a former import guru....no more.

I've never run it except on the street, it has new wheels & tires, new exaust, and that about covers it. Looking to change a lot in the future including engine. Any ideas are appreciated.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 04:45 PM   #16
PGkelly
Registered Member

if it had pop-ups and was rear-engined then it was definetely a slant-nose 911. pretty rare, i've only seen a few. that also means he probably had a few other mods as well, like suspension, maybe engine. good kill definetely

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 05:17 PM   #17
Rev
Registered Member

PGkelly, I went to some Porsche sites and looked around at classifieds where they had cars for sale with pictures. I'm pretty sure it was a 1977 (or there abouts) 911 slant nose Carrera roadster. I knew it was older, but not that old. I'll bet it was bone stock and probably pretty worn as well. I now think it was a lot older than I originally said. Anyway, it's probably not so surprizing that I killed it as easily as I did.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:13 PM   #18
69fastback
IRAQ VET

REV that is the only bad thing about one is that u have to shift it at all times. U can't just leave it in drive. My car is just a track car and a saturday night cruiser so i don't mind all the shifting. If u want to just leave it in D though don't get one.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 06:06 PM   #19
Rev
Registered Member

That's what I thought 69fb. I do like to putter around town waiting for a rev. I can still shift where I want to by doing all those strange movements. Thanks for the info.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.