MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-21-2001, 05:47 PM   #1
boeing727
Registered Member

Question Engine swap:

As you can see, I'm new here. My first post was on, "Built Ford Tough" last evening. There I asked about the engine swap and was directed to this forum. Here goes....

My son has a 1994 Ranger with a 6 cyl. He wants to drop a 5.0 into this truck, but he is not sure what would be the best course to take on this. Locally he can purchase a used 5.0 with a T5 Tranny for around $2,000.00. The selection of engines range from 1991 - 1994, the miles on these engines range from 44,000+ to 93,000+. The engines would have the computer, and associated wiring included. If he goes this route he will have a local shop hone the cylinders, replace rings, gaskets, new cam and a few other things done. At a later date he would like to purchase a kit that would include new heads, upper/lower intake and a few other goodies.

Or, should he purchase an engine that is already rebuilt, purchase a long block (new)? What?

My son has about $5,500 - $6,000 to work with at this time. Your expert advise would be greatly appreciated as he and I embark on this adventure together. Also, if you direct us toward a rebuilt, or new engine, your suggestions on where to pursue this would be appreciated.

As questions arise on this endeavour we will seek you guys out for help. As I stated in my previous post, I am not a Ford guy, and by that I mean that my knowledge of your terminology, etc, will be new to me. However, my son is much better versed with Ford, and their products, and their terminology. I am the one here that need educated.

Thanks, guys, looking forward to your help,
Mike
boeing727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:10 PM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I would go with a rebuilt engine. You can find a core from you local junk yard and rebuilt that or buy one already built.

If you will be adding a power adder later(nitrous, blower, turbo) go with forged pisons. If you won't be adding one hyperutetic will be fine.

Can you do some of the work yourself (ie. install heads, intake, exc.)? If so you can probabley build a strong engine for around $2,000.

www.rangerstation.com has some good information about V-8 swaps.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 11:20 PM   #3
PKRWUD

Go here for all your questions. They have a downloadable manual for $25 that covers everything you'll need to know.

Quote:
from their website...
If you're here, you've undoubtedly decided that you have some interest in building a V8 Ranger or Bronco II.* Even if you're just thinking about taking on the project, this manual will help you decide if the project is within your abilities.* It includes information such as wire-to-wire electrical connections, complete part numbers and sources, and over 100 photographs, diagrams, and charts mapping out every stage of a V8 Ranger/Bronco II swap.* If you have a 1983-2000 Ranger or Bronco II, this manual will walk you through the swap, step-by-step, from selecting the proper tools and work space, to connecting your factory gauges, and everything in between.
Check out their website, and you'll see what I mean. Below is a picture of one of their 5.0 Rangers. Looks good enough to be factory to me!

Take care,
-Chris

Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 01:56 AM   #4
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Ok, not to discourage you or anything. But....if you've totaled up about what it'll cost to do it, then triple it and add a lil bit more money. And if you've calculated how much time it'll take, multiply that time 6. I am being very serious here, I am not joking, and in the end you'll see I was very close. I just got done with a V8 swap in my S-10. But it's tubbed, and has corbeau seats, the 5 harnesses, all autometer gauges, roll cage, 383 with Trick flow heads trick flow pistons 6" rods , etc.. etc... it'll take a long time, I couldn't imagine putting a Fuel Injected motor in one......that would be even more time consuming, good luck with your project!
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 10:12 AM   #5
boeing727
Registered Member

I appreciate the responses from you guys. The manual that was mentioned above has been sent for. I'm sure it contains just about anything/everything we will need to know.

About the "hidden time", and "hidden cost", you'r right. My son and I restored a '67 Chevelle together, frame off. Hopefully, from that experience we can avoid some of the pitfalls involved when taking on a project of this magnatude.

With some local folks available for information, the informative manual that is on its way, and with the help of you all, we will see this thing through.

The tough thing right now for my son is deciding which route to take concerning the engine. Again, any more input from you would be greatly appreciated on this decision.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 11-23-2001, 10:15 AM   #6
PKRWUD

I'd say go ahead and get one. They drive better that way.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 10:53 AM   #7
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Just wondering, is it going to be 2x4, or 4x4?
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 11:35 AM   #8
LX5liter
dude5l

I would go with a low milage engine from a car or how about finding a donor from a v-8 Explorer. Get the complete harness if possible. The pre-93 cars had forged pistons in case you were thinking about a power adder ( nitrous,blower or turbo(s) )in the future. It will be a big undertaking but it definitly can be done. I have a buddy with a Boss 429 ( yes an actual Boss 429 )sitting on a stand in his garage he wants to put in a Ranger, and he claims it will fit no problem.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 11:50 AM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Is the Ford Explorer not based on the Ranger platform? I wonder how much of the chassis they changed? I would suspect a lot of what is needed could come from an Explorer V-8 donor truck, or a Mercury Mountaineer (which is slightly different from the Explorer in drivetrain.)

Just a thought.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 06:49 PM   #10
boeing727
Registered Member

The swap involves a Ranger 2x4.
ATTN: LX5liter. Talk to your friend that want's to do the engine swap in his ranger about RangerPowerSports.com. Great place for ranger chatting!!

Last edited by boeing727; 11-25-2001 at 07:01 PM..
Old 11-26-2001, 03:56 AM   #11
macx
Registered Member

Default Swap

First, check this site:

http://www.kaufmannproducts.com/

Complete Explorer engine would be good swap -
already has the P (as in GT-40P) heads and
good intake, equal to Cobra intake, all you
might want to add would be a better cam, the
stocker is smaller than a stock HO 302 Mustang.

check these sites for retrofit stand alone mass air:

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/
http://www.swcp.com/~dilts/mustangs/...e/efi_conv.htm
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...6&lastcat=2430
http://classicbroncos.com/webmap/Engine/Fuel_Injection/
http://www.windsor-fox.com
http://www.painlesswiring.com
macx is offline   Reply With Quote