MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-13-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
QUIN
Registered Member

Default 01 ranger with clutch problems when weather is cold

weirdest thing, last year when it got cold my 01 ranger's clutch would only engage about an inch from the floor like the cable had stretched or something. when the weather warmed up it was fine. well, now that it is cold again the clutch is acting up again although this time wont engage at all. i dont think the clutch needs replaced but im not sure what would be causing this either. never seen anything quite like it. hoping someone else has and can tell me what is going on. appreciate any advise.
i posted this in ford tough but got no responses after 5 days so i am posting here as well. please dont move for at least 24 hours.
thanx,
Q
Quin, 87 GT,306,forged/cut pistons,edelbrock head\intake,steeda#18cam,1.7rr,MSD Blaster tfi coil,A9L,pro-m75mm,24#inj,accufab65mm,2.5"pipes,hooker headers,dynomax exhaust,3.73 gr,110 lph fp,moroso cold air,ASP pullies, weld rims

See my engine on user rides.

I see your shwartz is as big as mine, now lets see how well you handle it!
QUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:38 PM   #2
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Default Re: 01 ranger with clutch problems when weather is cold

Okay, call it coincidence... but I was just telling a buddy at work today that my Ranger's (2003) clutch didn't seem to be acting right now that it's cold. I don't remember it happening last year, but 3rd and 4th gear seem a little harder to get into. Seems like what you described.

I think it's a hydrolic clutch like the s10 but I haven't looked. If so we may need to check fluid first? Like I said I could be wrong. I haven't looked to see what it was. Are you for sure they use cables? If so you migh wanna check for fluid leaking from the transmission. I had an 86 Mustang that wouldn't engage because the tranny casing cracked. Hope this helps!

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
QUIN
Registered Member

Im assuming its hydraulic but i couldnt find the pump at the firewall so i am not sure. i didnt spend a lot of time because i was hoping someone would be able to tell me whats going on but apparently im going to have to figure it out myself. just doesnt seem like i would be the only one that has had this happen. i thought maybe the fluid was freezing up but i didnt think hydraulic fluid was supposed to freeze??? if you got im my truck right now you would swear there was no clutch in it, but if you wait till march it will be just like new. unfortunately my mustang heater core is no longer in it so i need to get this thing going. you might be having the same problem although when mine went, it went. last year it would engage just off the floor, this year wont engage at all. of course when it warmed up last year and stared working again i basically forgot all about it. dont fix it unless its broke right????
geeesh
Q
Quin, 87 GT,306,forged/cut pistons,edelbrock head\intake,steeda#18cam,1.7rr,MSD Blaster tfi coil,A9L,pro-m75mm,24#inj,accufab65mm,2.5"pipes,hooker headers,dynomax exhaust,3.73 gr,110 lph fp,moroso cold air,ASP pullies, weld rims

Old 12-16-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
84LX89GT
Mustangs

The rangers have a hydraulic clutch with an integrated slave/master cylinder inside the bellhousing which is a total pain in the bum to bleed after replacement. it is common for them to fail and give you the problem you describe. one thing to check before messing with it is to check the clutch fluid level (small reservoir with round black cap should be near the master cylinder mounted on the firewall) and the clutch takes DOT 3 brake fluid.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
QUIN
Registered Member

thank you very much. that sounds like something that would cause this. now its starting to make sense