MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-28-2002, 02:18 AM   #1
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Unhappy 1 Of My Best Friends And Runnin Buddies Was In A Horrible Accident Yesterday

hey.
One of my very best friends and running buddies was in a really bad accident yesterday morning...Dont really know where to start. Hes in my car club, and theres a 'group' of us that do EVERYTHING together every weekend...
RAINMAN, Tom Canfield (Blue A/C Cobra) went in his FoxBody to Witchita Falls to ride his bicycle in a 110+ mile race. He was in a life threatening acc. about 20 years ago that almost left him for dead. He ended up w/ his 3rd hip surgery last year. He also was struck by a car while on his motorcycle a few months ago.
I talked to him last Friday when he arrived at Witchita Falls. He sounded SO UPBEAT!!! He was feeling GREAT...he was so happy that his surgery left him feeling so good to do the bike ride...he was SOOO happy!
He was supposed to be home today. I got a call from White Snake about 9am this morning, when he got his phone call... Evidently at about 7 am or so yesterday, he was in Oklahoma visiting relaitives on his way home. He got T-Boned in his Fox. He managed to spit out Steves cell phone number and to tell someone to call him to let him know that he will not be here for our big show this weekend on the way to the hospital!!!! He is our Head Tech guy. He has been in ICU all day. All we know at this point is he had a collapsed lung, broken arm and some internal injuries....we dont know the extent yet of the injuries. Steve has been keeping in touch w/ Tom's Cousin.
They moved him from ICU tonight to a room, which I guess is a good thing..to be out of ICU..I think he has been UPGRADED to serious condition. Steve only got to talk to him for a few seconds tonight. He was not in a good state. He did not sound like himself, and did not realize who he was talking to, and they are very close as well. I am gonna wait till later tomorrow to call. His family is all in Pa. except for the ones around Tulsa, where he is now. I'm wanting to get his dog out of the Boarding place. He was supposed to pick her up tonight. I'm hoping that I can either talk w/ him tomorrow, depending on his condition, or to his cousin to find out how to get his dog. I cant leave her there.
We have NO IDEA yet, the seriousness of the extent of the injuries....or how long he will be there in Tulsa at the hospital till he can come home. We have had ALOT of support from the club..Camaro Kid offered to drive to Tulsa to pick him up when he is ready to come home...
At this point now, the show is not so important...he is such a major part of our shows, and one of our very best friends...He's had such rotten luck! He's only in his low 40's....
A Few of us have his # at the room, and are trying to keep the other members posted. We thought it would be a good idea to have someone video the show, and we do a special dedication thing to him. He's gonna be missed, and obviously, this has completely turned around our enthusiasm...
If ya'll would, please say a prayer for Tom (RainMan) that he will come home soon, and healthy(as can be expected). We just dont know right now exactly what we are dealing with.. Hes a sweetie, and a VERY DEAR friend. Needless to say, my smoking has gone thru the roof! I think that Sunday some of the guys are gonna go to his house and mow the yard and stuff like that.
I just ask that ya'll keep Tom in your prayers...WHY does BAD things keep happening to such good people? I just dont understand! Heres a pic. or two..I know ya'll have seen many pics I have posted of him or his car.
btw: WhiteSnake gave him the nick name 'RAINMAN' cuz seemed like EVERY show we did together for a long time, it would RAIN! He has no top (obviously) for the A/C Cobra. One time on Fathers Day, we were at a show it stormed soooo bad, we had to move our tarps over the 'roofless' cars. We got DRENCHED, as did the cars...It lasted FOREVER, and it was some major lightening and windstorms as well. I got some great pics of that show. i'll have to find them though..He built his A/C Cobra and did ALL The wrenching on it from the ground up! Hes figuring out how to put Col. Dan's sequential taillights from his '69 GT350 into my Car. Dan gave them to me for my Bday....

I'll keep ya'll posted as I find out more information...Thanks ya'll... Christine TNT Tearful In Texas

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!

Last edited by Topless In Texas; 08-28-2002 at 02:31 AM..
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 02:33 AM   #2
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Unhappy Pics...

Heres Rainman and his ride...he has not let me drive it yet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the rainman.jpg (42.4 KB, 82 views)

Old 08-28-2002, 02:36 AM   #3
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Post When I got to meet John Force

Heres at Baytown for the NHRA races when I got to meet John Force and get my pics and stuff. It was cool. This was right after his last hip surgery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whitesnake rainman and topless.jpg (61.1 KB, 76 views)

Old 08-28-2002, 02:38 AM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

that really sux, i dont know what to say, except my prayers go out to him, thats about all i can do if it's any help, i hope it is, keep us updated, cya.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 02:49 AM   #5
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Default Here's my best friends.

Col. Dan and his '69 GT 350, Rainmans A/C Cobra and WhiteSnakes '94 Cobra. This is one of my favorite pics...
I gotta go to bed soon. Just please, ya'll keep Tom in your prayers. I cant stand the thought of him being there in the hospital with out us there.
He's a 'lurker' here! He does not post, but lurks all the time...him and Dan were giving me HELL about telling them not to say anything about my tattoo, but then I posted it here on the website for the world to see.
I'll post some more later when I know more...

Old 08-28-2002, 02:51 AM   #6
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Angry forgot the frigin pics

forgot the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg friends.jpg (4.5 KB, 64 views)

Old 08-28-2002, 03:07 AM   #7
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Sorry to hear that, Christine... I hope all turns out ok.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:29 AM   #8
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by joe4speed
Sorry to hear that, Christine... I hope all turns out ok.
Me too. I really do wish him the best. I remember you talked about him quite a bit. Always sounded like a great guy!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 04:27 AM   #9
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

sorry to hear this christeen .......i know you and tom are pretty good friends..........i wish him well and a speedy recovery
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 05:16 AM   #10
MustangKelly96
Registered Member

Unhappy

Sorry to hear about your friend Christine.I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery.

Kelly
MustangKelly96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 09:12 AM   #11
gt lee

Christine, Prayers are on Rainman's way. Truly hope that he recovers and comes back home feeling like a new man. Hey if you have an add. for him post it and I'll send a get well card.
Odie
Old 08-28-2002, 12:18 PM   #12
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that christine. I'll be praying that he gets well..take care
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 09:10 PM   #13
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Unhappy Update on Rainman

God, what a horribly long day! I ended up w/ about 1 1/2 hours sleep. Had it not been for the phone, i'd have never woke up.
I talked to Bob, Toms cousin this morning..Turns out I met Bob recently, and didn't realize it. He was with Tom when he picked me up at the airport from my last trip to the East Coast..
They have moved Tom BACK into Surgical Intensive Care this morning. Evidently he is having some problems breathing. They have a tube in his chest, and there is alof of fluid and blood that he is having a hard time coughing up because of the pain from the collapsed lung, and the broken ribs. I have been calling the hospital, and since he is still in ICU, i have not been able to talk to him. Its really bugging me.
Bob said that most of the damage is to the left side of his body. His ear, broken fingers, and I think arm, broken ribs, bruised back, punctured lung, and some lacerations to his shoulder. Im still unclear about the internal injuries. Im waiting for him to call me back now to find out if he saw him today and if he is STILL in ICU. THANK GOD that there was not any injury to his new hip on the right side!!!! That would have been HORRIBLE!!
I also talked to his friend Kevin today. Kevin was able to pick up Natasha(Tom's dog) from the boarding place. I will be getting her from Kevin tomorrow night, and she is staying here w/ me till Tom comes home. He said he will Definetely be in the hospital the rest of the week. I"m hoping when i talk to Bob, maybe he will have a better idea of if and when he is going to get out. And when he can come home.
Well...just talked to Bob...He will be in ICU till at least tomorrow afternoon. And he seems to think he will not get out of the hospital till sometime early next week. He will call me and let me know as soon as he gets moved into a room. I really hate not being able to call. The nurse told him that he seems to be resting more comfortably.
so, for now guess thats about it. Hopefully his breathing will straighten out, but untill they get the fluid out, He will still be struggling with it, and hopefully there will not be any more complications...
The guys are still gonna do his lawn on Sunday(his yard is MONSTROUS! Got a HUGE detached garage (along w/ the attached) and an awsome pool too. I will prolly take Natasha over there and let her play while they are there so she can have some time at home.
THANKS GUYS AND GIRLS FOR YOUR PRAYERS AND WELL WISHES...It really means alot to me...Its hard that his friends cannot be there. But, all we can do is take care of things down here for him while he is up there. Please continue to keep him in your prayers along w/ Matt. Thanks again...Christine

Old 08-29-2002, 12:27 AM   #14
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

still praying for tom, keep us updated, cya.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 08:07 PM   #15
crewzin
Registered Member

Default So sorry

Man I hate to hear the bad news! We just saw you guys the other day at our cruise. I hope everything works out for the best. And if there is anything we can do to help let us know.
And yes sometimes the good always seem to have the worst luck. Later......
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 11:44 AM   #16
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking Good News!!

Hey everyone!
Well, this has been a very long week! I finally got some good news...Tom FINALLY got out of ICU last night...I just talked to him a few minutes ago. He is doing much better, and actually he sounded pretty good...He's such an upbeat guy! I was the one getting choked up.
The Fox Body is toast. Evidently Bob sent me pics of it, but my box was full. I"ll post it when I get them. His lung is inflated, and he seems to think he will be realeased either today or tomorrow....I think that that is a little wishful thinking, but I hope soon. I picked up his dog this morning, Natasha. Shes gonna stay here w/ me. Shes bigger than the little ones I"m used to. She liked riding w/ the top down! Also, when we got home, she got loose and ran all over the block! I thought I"d never catch her...thak God I had some help catching her! She does not know how to come up my stairs yet. Shes a cutie, but I can see she is gonna get into things! Shes still a puppy, and I had to take a few things from her she wanted to chew.
Well, i have a ton of things to do today...to get ready for our show. So, i gotta run. Just wanted to let ya'll know that things are lookin up. It was good to talk to him....not sure if they will let him fly home cuz of the lung, or drive home. 3 of our other friends offered to go pick him up, and his cousin might drive him back. Not sure yet, or when.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and the prayers...they were a big help...Talk to ya soon. TNT

Old 08-30-2002, 11:53 AM   #17
induction
The Brit!

Im so glad to hear things are getting better for him , and hey keep us bposted on the dog too, Seems like it's gonna be a funny weekend with him lol I have a Rott (Xena) and she loves to chew Gatoraid bottles, just keep the dog busy and post a pic of it too.
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 01:19 PM   #18
347MOM
Registered Member

I am so glad to hear that he is doing so well!!! Like Jason said if you guys need anything call us for sure!!! Tell him hi for us!!!

Girls can too's August "Mare of the Month"
347MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:43 PM   #19
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Sorry to hear the bad news Christine your friend will be in my prayers... Hope everything turns out okay!

See Ya,
Karen
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:28 AM   #20
gt lee

Hi Christine, sorry I am so late posting on this subject. But am real glad that your friend is doing so much better now. He will be in my prayers. Keep us posted. Friends are deep, and hard to find. Odie