MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-19-2002, 03:37 PM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Default Raced Stock 99+ GT. Conclusion. My Car=Freak.

Well, either the small mods I have on my 2000 GT have given me more power than I thought, or my car is a Freak. I'm still wondering.

I've been wanting to race a stock 99+ GT since I've started modding my car, just to see how much I've gained.

Last night on the way home from work, I finally got a chance to. I'm really surprised with the results.

I turned onto Cliffdale Rd, and noticed at the intersection was what looked like 99+ GT headlights and fog lights. So I slowed down, seeing if the guy would want to play. His light turned, and I saw him coming...Quickly.. I thought....Its on. So I put it in third, and took it up to 60 and held it to see if he was serouis.

He rode my bumper for a good while. All on my rear. A light ahead turned Red, he shot over in the other lane, and gased it. Pulling up next to me. (Exhaust was bone stock sounding). Then he slowed Way Way Way down, and stayed a few car lengths behind me. I was stopped at the light, and he was still rolling.

I thought "What the ****. I thought this guy wanted to play". The light changed, and he nailed it. He pulled ahead, his rear bumper, next to my front.

I was ticked...Thats a Rice Manauver...I stabbed it into first, and launched. AXLE HOP LIKE CRAZY (Craptacular torn Rear control arm bushings). WHen it hooked a second later, I had pulled a littl e past him (My front bumper was probably a foot ahead of his front bumper) at the end of first. I was pretty darn surprised. I hit second hard as hell, and ripped the tires loose. It was Great, he had the 6000 RPM FLow Master scream in his ear, then the "I just killed the rear tires" squeal. I let off the clutch to quickly because I was ticked at this guy.

Anyway. I pulled second on up, and by the end of it, there was at least a car length between our bumpers, possibly more. I didnt pay all that much attention to him. I hit third, and got some more axle hop. By the end of third, I looked in my rear view, and he WAY WAY BACK. I cant fathom how many lengths he was. I could see his whole car in my passenger side rear, and in my interior rear view. I let off, decalerating in third.

We caught the next light. I reved at him, the dude shock his head and yelled "No dude, I dont want anymore of that."

I asked what year his car was. It was a 2001 GT 5 spd. I asked if he let off before me, He said he let off when he heard me let off. I asked him if he was stock. He said yep, except for a K&N filter. (Which I've had for like 3 months but havent put on yet.)

He then asked "Man, You gotta have a hell of alot more than exhaust and mufflers." I told him what I had, and he thought I was leaving a few things out.

As usual, I get accused of having more than what I say.

I mean, I left this dude like he wasnt even trying. I dont see how with the petty stuff I have, and the twisting, hopping rear end I have, I beat him by so much.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 06:08 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Talking

I'd love to find a 99-01GT to run. Very hard to find around here. Even better would be to run a factory freak If you're ever in this area, drop me a line. I'd love to see how my apparently freaky 87GT stacks up to a 00 freak.

Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 06:37 PM   #3
lx mike
Undescribable

could be little of both, your car may be one of those "freak" cars and with the mods you have just made it more stonger then no surprize that you took him. do you have any time of it yet???

theres a guy at the local street races with a 2000-2001 gt that i want to run but he has nitrous and it's kinda hard to get soemone to run without it and trust them to. i also want to run the lt1 camaro and then i'll see how i stack up to the gt seeing as the camaro was in front till the gt sprayed him.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 07:31 PM   #4
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
It was Great, he had the 6000 RPM FLow Master scream in his ear, then the "I just killed the rear tires" squeal.

Gotta love the second gear squeal.

I ran mine in a parking lot once, with some friends, just for fun...after I shut it down and parked, I checked out my tracks. Unofficial measurement was a 150' Trac-Loc burnout, but the best part was the six feet of scorched rubber where I grabbed second.

Anyway, someone recorded a quick mpeg on their digital camera, and there's a huge plume of white smoke as the tail squats down in second. Fun stuff.

R.I.P. 05/30/02

"I've seen some crazy stuff in my life, but that...was...AWESOME!!! Oh, sorry about your car, man."
Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 08:29 PM   #5
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

You've got pulleys, cold air, an off road h, and flows. Id say those mods are more than "petty." Plus if the guy couldnt drive, you'd kill him even worse.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 09:35 PM   #6
exgmguy
Registered Member

You are making us northerners jealous you know.....

You should get to the track to see how it runs. I've seen new GT's run anywhere from low 15's stock to low, low 14's. I have even seen a Novi 2000 2000 GT with a built auto and Drag radials running only mid 13's @ 105.

I bet he was a tad upset.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 10:15 PM   #7
venumus93
Registered Member

Cool

Mercury:
Let us know if you've had your car on the track...sounds like a real screamer! I think I do better on the street than at the track, so I'd love to run this guy here in his bright yellow 2001/2002 GT sometime just to see if he can drive & run quicker than my old Cobra. Anyway, nice kill! Later!
93Cobra#3974, 114K miles
3.55's, flo's, pullies, C&L
1/4: 13.985
60': 2.088 (street tires)
MPH: 99.58
venumus93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 10:19 PM   #8
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Why to go Merc!!! It sucks that he resorted to ricer tatics, but it's awsome that you walked him down.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 04:43 AM   #9
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

A couple weeks ago i ran a 99 silver 35th anniversary GT, i've been wanting to run one, this guy didnt do anything at the stop sign we were at, so i sped off, then slowed down, my friend yells go! so i did from about 50mph and got pulled bye about 1/2 a car and walking away to he said 110, i couldnt believe it, heh we stopped and talked a while, he opened the hood, and my friend noticed pullies, and everthing else was bone stock, I wanted to go from a stop, so we did, i smoked him all the way till we shut down about 120mph, he said his traction control was on we never got to run again cuz of cops, but he told me he was expecting 14.0's 10? with e.t streets on, and he said 4.10's in the future. im impressed with those cars, (me being a pushrod fan) theyre definate competitors, and with gears, he probaly would have been better off the line.

Id say a GT could go 13.8's with gears and pullies, maybe faster.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 06:39 AM   #10
fastang
Registered Member

Evan Smith just drove a brand new GT to a 13.7 @ 100mph.
old car: 95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:30 AM   #11
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Axle hop in third..........Hmmmm...
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 02:22 AM   #12
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Anyone remember Lizard King? He ran a 13.69 with his '99 GT.

Whatever happened to that guy anyways?
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:07 PM   #13
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Dark 5.0.

When I shifted into third, and let off the clutch, the rear end protested. Hopped twice, then hooked.

I noticed traction was getting worse and worse. At first it wasnt on the launch, but around 4800-5000 RPM the car started spinning tires, and breaking traction. I knew it wasnt because of any kind of power. Checked the tires thouroughly.

My friend Tim C had the same problem, but it was much worse since he has 4:10's. It started getting really really bad shortly before he put his Lakewood Control Arms on.

When he took the old ones off, he saw he had some pretty chewed up Control Arm bushings. Of course we checked mine next, and they were pretty shot also. I still have to replace them, but I'm trying to take it easy till I can get the Lakewood Arms with the Poly bushings.

I understand if you doubt me, and want to say BS, but I assure you all it is not.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Old 01-21-2002, 02:08 PM   #14
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury
Dark 5.0.

When I shifted into third, and let off the clutch, the rear end protested. Hopped twice, then hooked.

I noticed traction was getting worse and worse. At first it wasnt on the launch, but around 4800-5000 RPM the car started spinning tires, and breaking traction. I knew it wasnt because of any kind of power. Checked the tires thouroughly.

My friend Tim C had the same problem, but it was much worse since he has 4:10's. It started getting really really bad shortly before he put his Lakewood Control Arms on.

When he took the old ones off, he saw he had some pretty chewed up Control Arm bushings. Of course we checked mine next, and they were pretty shot also. I still have to replace them, but I'm trying to take it easy till I can get the Lakewood Arms with the Poly bushings.

I understand if you doubt me, and want to say BS, but I assure you all it is not.
I am not callind BS, Axle hop in third is just strange, I dont know if your car is a freak or not I spanked 99+ GT's many a time running 14.79@3000 ft last year
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:50 PM   #15
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Axle hop doesn't necessarily mean the tires are spinning....the car can still shudder from gripping and the torque hit of the shift.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:59 PM   #16
Rev
Registered Member

Clue me in? This axle hop is without IRS? I would think Traction Masters might be in order?

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 11:05 PM   #17
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I may be using the term Axle Hop incorrectly. What I am reffering to is when your rear end shudders under hard acceleration. It feels like the axle is jumping around. Most of the time it breaks traction while "hopping", sometimes it does not.

Again,I could be using the term incorrectly.Sorry for any confusion.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:54 PM   #18
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Default Sorry to disapoint you...

Quote:
Originally posted by exgmguy
You are making us northerners jealous you know.....

You should get to the track to see how it runs. I've seen new GT's run anywhere from low 15's stock to low, low 14's. I have even seen a Novi 2000 2000 GT with a built auto and Drag radials running only mid 13's @ 105.

I bet he was a tad upset.

Bone stock... my car ran a 13.69 (that is even with stock filter, stock tires ... no tint... straight from Ford). It also ran a dozen 13.72 like that.

I added a K&N air filter... and I got a 13.68 and a 13.662 (which I have on video).

2 of my buddies have stock 01 GT Stang and the have both managed 14.0s this year. Must admit that one guy in particular in there can't drive his car if his life depended on it...

I have seen what you guys have seen ... the ediot that brings his car at the track for the first or second time, and is running 15s???? (LIKE WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?)

6T9PONY: I have been busy with my own local board.

---

This year I am hoping for low 13s (13.2)... with complete exaust, power pullies and timming adjuster.

NEW CAR! - 2002 GT TrueBlue - Best Stock ET - 13.77

Old Lizard - 2000GT Electric Green - Best ET STOCK: 13.662 @ 100.2MPH
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 10:44 AM   #19
Rocket 99GT
Registered Member

"Lizard King" it is good to hear from you again ehh, how is my home town Ottawa. I need a favor could you please send me the website of your local board (the one from Canada), I changed jobs and left all my bookmarks in the computer.

Axle hop happens to me only if I hit a hole or if the pavement is uneven.
I never stop practicing my take off and the way I do it is by leting the clotch off fast and before the engine shuts down I push the gas to about half way, doing this minimizes the weel spining by at least 50%.
I changed second an third gear still with the gas pedal half way, DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU BABY YOUR CAR as it is very bad for the transmission clutch (I already changed one).

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …
99GT
Under drive pulleys, subframes, 3.73, sport Lowering springs, strut tower brace, caster/camber plates, rear sway bar, tokiko illumina adjustable shocks/struts, upper&lower rear control arms, timing adjuster, 245x17 Michelin pilot, high performance brake pads, (no silencer, no spare tire).
Rocket 99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 01:13 PM   #20
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Lizard King!

Hows it going man? Glad to see you remember MustangWorks. I havent posted on your site for a while, I browse through it everynow and then. Its a nice site.

I was going to ask hows the little baby and the wife? They doing okay? And I was going to ask about the car too.

Drop me a line sometime.

Well, yesterday guys, I ordered a few little Somthin somethin's for my 2000 GT. Should give me a little more omph. Which is always a good thing.