MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-30-2001, 03:34 AM   #1
bpusser1
Registered Member

Question Mustang vs. Mustang GT

Hello,
I am a Mustang rookie. Please tell me the difference between a Mustang and a Mustang GT? Thanks.
bpusser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 12:10 PM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

I assume you are talking about the old mustangs and sure you will get lots of good info here, but let me start it off. The GT was a package that could be ordered much like todays mustang. I know most about 66 so I will talk about them. GT package meant you got either the A code 225 hp 289 or the K code 271 hp 289. GT package came with heavy duty suspension components and disc front brakes. There were also trim items to distinguish the two apart. Different gas cap, deletion of rocker mouldings, mustang spelled out on the side in individual letters, different grille insert. Fog lamps, and some more goodies I am sure to be forgetting. If you are intersted in buying a GT, find someone who knows GT's and take them with you to buy it. Several people have tried to make GT's out of non GT cars for the premium they bring. These cars are seldom done to a level that includes all GT components and are relatively easy to spot a fakes by knowledgable people.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 01:09 PM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I dont think there were any supsension diffrences between the standard V8 first generation Mustang, and the First Generation GT.

Well, I must admit I'm not that sure about 66, I'm more fimiliar with 65 and earlier, but my knowledge on first gen's is pretty good.

I know the exhaust hangers on a supposed "all Origianl GT" should differ that from a standard V8 car. And to make matters worse at spotting a Factory Original GT, lots of standard cars were converted over to a GT apperance pkg at the dealership.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. Period white wall tires. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car. Mods, Rust, rust, and more rust
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 03:42 PM   #4
Jaydee
Registered Member

As far as the exhaust hangers go, there are two things to look for if you want to determine if its a factory dual exhaust (225 or 271 horse) car, which all GT's were. There are a pair of exhaust hanger support plates that the mufflers attach to, spot welded to the floor pan under the rear seat - you will need to pull out the seat to check for these. You will also see a 1" x 3" plate with two bolts sticking thru this support plate to the bottom side of the car - this is what the actual muffler hanger bolts to. The other clue to look for is the frame rail plates. When you are lying under the rear of the car, look up at the rear frame rail that runs along the passenger side of the car, next to the fuel tank. About 5" forward of the spring shackle there should be a 3/4" hole. If you stick your finger about 1/2" in the hole you will feel a steel plate blocking you finger. These plates were factory installed to support the the rear dual exhaust hanger.

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, 5 spd, stock heads (minor porting) and intake, 65mmTB, 3.55's, ram air, pulleys, shorty's, 2.5" exhaust with cats 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 10:55 AM   #5
ToddStyles
Registered Member

65/66 GTs included the handling package... heavier duty front and rear springs, larger diameter front sway bar and the quick ratio (16:1) steering box. '65s got the full gauge package (standard on all 66s). both 65/66 got front fog lights in the grill, GT emblems on the side, "MUSTANG" spelled out in individual letters down the rocker panel, dual stainless steel exhaust tips exiting through the rear valence panel. Also included were manual front disc brakes. The GT package required one of the 2 available 4-barrel 289 engines. that's all I can think of for now. Todd.
ToddStyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 01:44 PM   #6
Jaydee
Registered Member

Also in the for what its worth department, 1965 GT's were made avaliable to the public in April of 65 but were built starting in February and ending in August of 65. 65's with GT equipment showing with an earlier than Feb/65 build date (and I've seen more than a few, are imposters) A true 65 GT will have a date code of P thru V on the warranty plate.

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, 5 spd, stock heads (minor porting) and intake, 65mmTB, 3.55's, ram air, pulleys, shorty's, 2.5" exhaust with cats 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 01:15 AM   #7
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Sorry guys, I checked my references and I was wrong. Not that I doubted you all, but I need to brush up on my knowledge. Use to be pretty good. Yep, there was a handling package.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. Period white wall tires. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car. Mods, Rust, rust, and more rust
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 10:41 PM   #8
bpusser1
Registered Member

Smile

Thank you very much to all that replied to my question about the Mustang vs. the Mustang GT. All of the information is very helpful. I look forward to my membership here.
bpusser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 04:31 PM   #9
67GTSCode
Registered Member

hehe like the rest of the other people. I can only give you the information on the year model which i have.. This happnes to be a 67 mustang (s-code).

In 1967 the mustang was made 3 inches wider to accomidate for the 390 engine. GT in 1967 was of course front wheel pwoer disc brakes and the gt stripes.

However if you were lucky enough to get an s-code.. then you would get a stronger and more stiff suspension. Of course the were many little extras you could also order. (eg power steering, bench front seet, ac, etc.) But the really only main difference in a gt was that they were all V8 and none were V6, FRONT disc brakes and rear drums, and the stripes.

Also take in mind that 67 mas the year of the first gt500 and all the options you could get with that. However i don't think that in 1967 that was the rarest car of the times. I know for a fact that a 1967 mustang gt(disc brakes) COUPE (not fastback) with a 390 (s-code) and 4 speed toploader were only limited to 1546... so if you were lucky enough to get a car with those options ur pretty special

: 1967 mustang gt s-code coupe with a 4 speed toploader, 3.50 posi gears , very hot!

ps.. i am only 16
67GTSCode is offline   Reply With Quote