MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-07-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default 2002 GT vs 1987 GT Review LONG

Well, I've been driving the new GT for about 2400miles now. A few longer jaunts have racked up the mileage. I'm not overly impressed. It's a nice car, but not as nice as I expected. Here's how I'd rate it vs the 1987.

Styling: 02GT = 8, 87GT = 6
Engine Performance (low end): 02GT = 5, 87GT = 8
Engine Performance (mid range): 02GT = 7, 87GT = 8
Engine Performance (top end): 02GT = 8, 87GT = 7
Exhaust Sound (low rpms): 02GT = 4, 87GT = 7
Exhaust Sound (cruising): 02GT = 7, 87GT = 4 (drone)
Exhaust Sound (wide open): 02GT = 6, 87GT = 9
Engine Idle Quality: 02GT = 6, 87GT = 9

Transmission Shift Feel: 02GT = 5, 87GT = 6
Transmission Noise: 02GT = 3, 87GT = 7
Transmission Clutch: 02GT = 6, 87GT = 6
Transmission/Driveline Noise: 02GT = 3, 87GT = 6

Suspension/Tire (Drag): 02GT = 5, 87GT = 6
Suspension/Tire (Corner): 02GT = 8, 87GT = 6
Suspension/Tire (response): 02GT = 6, 87GT = 7
Suspension/Tire (ride): 02GT = 7, 87GT = 4

Brake Feel (normal braking): 02GT = 6, 87GT = 7
Brake Feel (hard braking): 02GT = 7, 87GT = 2
Brake Performance: 02GT = 8, 87GT = 2

Interior Appearance: 02GT = 7, 87GT = 5
Interior Comfort (driver): 02GT = 6, 87GT = 7
Interior Comfort (passenger): 02GT = 7, 87GT = 6
Interior Comfort (rear seats): 02GT = 4, 87GT = 5
Ergonomics: 02GT = 7, 87GT = 7
Interior Noise: 02GT = 7, 87GT = 3
Seating Position: 02GT = 6, 87GT = 7
Outward Visability: 02GT = 8, 87GT = 3
Interior Versitility: 02GT = 8, 87GT = 5
Fit and Finish: 02GT = 5, 87GT = 6

Cargo Capacity: 02GT = 6, 87GT = 8
Overall Versitility: 02GT = 5, 87GT = 7

Headlights: 02GT = 8, 87GT = 6
Taillights: 02GT = 9, 87GT = 5
Foglights: 02GT = 6, 87GT = 7
Brake Lights: 02GT = 9, 87GT = 6

Personality: 02GT = 5, 87GT = 7
Fun to Drive: 02GT = 7, 87GT = 8
Chick Magnet: 02GT = 9, 87GT = 6

Total: 02GT 247 out of 380, 87GT 231 out of 380.
Average Score: 02GT 6.5, 87GT 6.1

Here's the why.

As far as styling, I really like the 02GT appearance. The 1987GT is looking obviously very dated at this point, but it's still a handsome car in my opinion. The 2002GT seems very muscular, and quite a bit more aggressive than the 87GT, but those wheel gaps certainly look out of place. The 1987GT has a smooth function about it's appearance to me. It also looks as menacing as anything the Earth has ever seen when viewed from a rear view mirror, or in the reflection of the car in front with the headlights on.

The 2002GT is flat below 3500rpms. The 3.27 gears make launching a breeze, but it just doesn't have a lot of oommph down there. The midrange, which I would say is 3000-5000rpm is marred by the weak 3000-3500 rpm performance. The top end charge of the 2002 is quite good though. It pulls harder and harder as the rpms increase and seems to continue right up to the redline and then some. On the other hand, my 87GT has a ton of low end power. It'll pull at 1500rpm. The midrange is also excellent where the 5.0 packs a serious wallop. Top end is weak past 5600rpm or so, and after 5800rpm it's drops off like a rock.

The 87 benefits from it's Dynomax exhaust and BBK H pipe, obviously, but it has a much deeper, much more powerful sound to it than the 4.6L. Actually, I find that the 02 sounds a bit like a cross between a vacuum cleaner and very much like a school bus at lower rpms. Very disturbing that I can actually make it sound exactly like a school bus if I want it to. Midrange the 5.0 is still just awesome, you can hear that thing begin to make exhaust rap like NASCAR, and by top end, it's scream is awesome. There are VERY few people who would argue that the 5.0 doesn't sound just about as good as any American muscle. The 4.6L picks up points for the top end mechanical whirrings and Ferrari-esque sound to it. Too bad the redline cuts so short, it would really sound great at say 7000rpm. It's definately got a refined European flavor to it, and I like it.

The transmission's feel quite a bit different. Much is probably related to the stock shifters. The Tremec 3650 feels notchy as hell, moreso than the T-5 by a fair margin. It's also extremely noisy in 1st gear, lacks refinement, makes clunks and bangs, just altogether a POS in my opinion. I hate the dumb thing. The only thing better than the T-5 is the lack of grind into reverse. Otherwise the Tremec is a total heap in my opinion. The clutches are just completely on the opposite sides of the fence. I've had problems with my 02's clutch releasing, and pedal feedback is poor through the hydraulic beast. My 87 has crappy sliding clutch cable feel, is unpredictable, but provides adaquate feedback. The 2002's driveline continues to be clunky and bangy, much more so than the 87GT. Helping the driveline out would do WONDERS for the 02GT. I can't believe what a POS the setup is. I'll take the 1987GT any day for this category. 15 years of progress.

When launching or accelerating, the new GT has a LOT of pitch going on. Aim the nose for the sky. The shocks don't seem to help the suspension under hard acceleration either as I can catch rubber into 4th gear at 100mph. The car is definately not much, if any quicker than my 87GT, so there is just no reason for that crap. In the corners, the fox body feels sure.... sure it's going to slide of the road any minute now, LOL. Seriously, the feedback from the Fox is vastly superior to the new car, but the new car's capabilities are just sooo much greater. Turn in and the cars response to aggressive manuevers leave me wondering what the new GT has in store for me. It's not as quick, as tossable, or as predictable as the Fox. Though a lot more capable, the new cars suspension has been poorly setup for driver feedback. The ride is vastly superior though.

Brakes. I don't really think much needs to be said here, except I'd like the 2002 to be less mushy. The 87GT's pedal is superior only when normal braking is occuring. After that shakes, rotor warping, and brake fade make the Fox GT the worst braking car with that much power since the Musclecar days, if it's even that good. Brakes stop the 02GT with authority, and without fade that I could notice on a single stop.

Interior. The 2002 looks a lot nicer, obviously. It's clean, attractively styled, doesn't have a LAME-O 85mph speedo, and it's far more modern. Ergonomically, the shifter knob feels like you're trying to grab a softball, and it's kinda uncomfortable. The 87's is nothing to brag about either as shifter location is too high, and it's got too long of a throw. The 87GT high back buckets are superior for comfort and support, but they block visability like crazy. I feel like I sit tooo high in the new car. The Fox is more comfortable, and lower slung. Passengers in the rear will appreciate more room in the Fox as well since there is almost none to begin with. The layout of both cars is good for me. Nothing is out of reach at all. The cupholders and cargo net on the headliner give the newer car a distinct advantage, although I really miss the cell phone cubby (what I use it for) below the stereo. Fit and finish in the new car sucks. There is no other way to put it. A total joke. Even the Fox had superior fit and finish in my opinion. Plasticky parts not formed properly, gaps, and fitment irregularities abound if you know what you're looking for in the 2002. My Fox is actually pretty damn good in this regard.

How can a coupe possibly compete with a hatchback? The trunk is suprisingly large in the new car, and the rear seats fold down, but I've hauled 5.0 engines in the back of the hatch with the lift door off, and a papasan chair with it closed. No contest. As far as overall versatility, the even smaller rear seat, lack of cargo space hurt the new car, while I love the hatchback. It's like a mini SUV if you want it to be.

The exterior lights have jumped leaps and bounds in performance since 1987. You can actually see your backup lights, and your taillights when you aren't on the brakes are reflected off objects in the rear view mirror. Headlights are also much more powerful. It's a nicer car to drive at night. They are just all around superior, except for the lackluster foglights. I'm not at all impressed with them.

For personality, the 1987 has a victory hands down. All the squeeks, rattles, and thunder make it a blast to drive. It's got power everywhere and it allows you to toy with your opponent where the 2002 makes you get on it if you want to play. I can outrun most cars shifting at 2500-3000rpm on the fox, and it's just a blast to see their face when you downshift and blow them off the road. The 2002 is a better commuter car. It's quieter, more refined, less demanding, and well, more like a commuter car. The 87 does feel more like it's going to fall into pieces at high speeds though. I was actually scared to really run it up the other night. Felt like all 4 wheels were gonna fall off, hahaha.

Last, the all important chick magnet score. If I could count the number of girls that drool over my car, well I can, but that wouldn't be as much fun as just saying girls REALLY REALLY love the car, LOL. The 87GT has a bit of the chick magnet ability too. Even looking a little run down. It's not a bad looking car, and "Mustang GT" seems to score points with the ladies as long as it's not what they consider to be "butt ugly." Hehe.

So there you have it. I like the style, the engine is good, the driveline sucks, the interior is okay, and it's bascially a nice car. It has it's flaws, though.

The real question, which would I rather have for an everyday car? The 2002GT or a mint, lightly modded 1987GT? The answer is very, very tough. The Fox body is more fun, more versatile, less expensive, more reliable, easier to maintain, and easier to modify. The 2002GT looks a lot nicer, as a general rule is faster, more comfortable as a cruiser, easier to drive, less intrusive, and you feel very proud to own it. It's a special car. Turn that 1987GT into a 1993 Cobra and my choice is hands down the Cobra. Sorry, but it's a better car than the 2002GT for what I've always thought the Mustang GT should be.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 11:45 PM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

well unit, i never owned a fox body, i went from a 69 grande, to a 2k gt, i loved the raw horsepower of my 69, but i cant wait to mod my 2k, its an auto though, so it's a different world than yours, but i like it ok, except the payments , otherwise im pretty happy with it, see ya.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 11:56 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

In my opinion, the Fox body is the closest you can get to a modern interpretation of a Muscle Car. I love it for that, and I hate it for that. The Fox is a brute, plain and simple. Little refinement, but it's got a ton of character. Such fun to drive, but it can be a pain to live with day in and day out.

I'm very harsh on the way I rated the two cars. I could have easily given a couple extra points here and there, but I wanted it to be a brutal review without a bunch of candy shoved up people's rears.

I have a hunch that the 2002 would take on a much different personality with some simple suspension mods, a better shifter, and some exhaust with a couple cheap engine bolt ons. That's down the road though.
Old 06-08-2002, 12:02 AM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

i know what you mean, everytime i take mine to the dealer i have to pull off my k&n & put that stock air breather back on, it's a pita, but i guess i can live with it, i do miss my 69 though with that 4-speed, i loved that car, even though the paint job sucked, l8ter.

R H C- member # 1
Old 06-08-2002, 12:04 AM   #5
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

That just might be the longest post ever at Mustangworks. It was very....uh....thorough. haha

Good review, but it is just opinion

de gustibus non disputandem

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 12:32 AM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
That just might be the longest post ever at Mustangworks. It was very....uh....thorough. haha

LOL That's true!

Good review, lots of good perspectives! I have yet to drive any mustang GT '94 or up... I'm so deprived!!!!!
Old 06-08-2002, 12:36 AM   #7
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joe4speed

LOL That's true!

Good review, lots of good perspectives! I have yet to drive any mustang GT '94 or up... I'm so deprived!!!!!
aaahhh sneak attack, heheh

R H C- member # 1
Old 06-08-2002, 05:35 PM   #8
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Unit I agree with your opinions on the two cars completely.. :The fox is raw fun, the 02 is refined elegance(for the most part) with a punch. Pretty good sum up? lol.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 06:28 PM   #9
elliotness
Registered Member

Default I Agree W/Unit

Don't know much about either car. However, I do remember falling in love with the stang. Friend of mine had an 85?? LX vert. The note on that car was so sweet. That was the day I promised myself I would get a stang.

The new stang just doesn't sound the same. I will fix that when I get my 03.
elliotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:36 PM   #10
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs up New vs Old Mustangs

Unit:

Thanks for the comparo 'review'.

I've been very curious as to what the new breed Mustangs were like in the real world, beyond the HP and quarter-mile numbers and you gave us that, for which many are probably appreciative.

I totally agree with your assertion that the Fox-bodied Mustangs are the definitive late-twentieth century American muscle car. They still look good (read: muscular) and are a joy to drive if you appreciate their muscle car characteristics, as most of us do, here.

As my '90 LX ages (117,000 miles now) I've been thinking about replacing it with a late-model GT but I know that for about half the cost of a new 'Stang I could totally refurbish the LX, including new engine, trans, paint, interior and all the small stuff.

I've done it before (with a Camaro) and it was a chore that took forever but after reading your review on the new Mustang GT (based on your 2400 miles of driving it) I'm very tempted to hang on to my '90 LX. I like my performance cars to feel like a performance car (as well as sound like one), not a hopped up commuter car. I don't care about impressing anyone with a new car, either so that isn't a factor, as I'm sure it wasn't with you.

My personal 'jury' is still out on this but I doubt I'll be parting with my LX any time soon and again, I appreciate your thoughtful commentary and ratings of the two 'Stangs.

BTW: What's wrong with long posts?
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:49 PM   #11
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Default Re: New vs Old Mustangs

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mr 5 0

BTW: What's wrong with long posts? [/B]
heheheh, not you mr 5 0, sorry had to throw that in , the new stangs are very driver friendly, adjustable lumbar etc, all the percks, but like i said i have never owned a fox body, i miss the raw seat of your pant power my 69 had, but it wasnt the most comforteable car, but i still loved it,

R H C- member # 1

Last edited by Crazy Horse GT; 06-09-2002 at 06:53 PM..
Old 06-09-2002, 05:29 PM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

We'll see how the new car does with a few mods. Some stuff I have planned.

I want to see how Ferrari mufflers look. I think I can get the 4.6 to sound a little like one. Hehe.

H/X pipe, catback, timing adjusters, CAI or K&N, underdrives, shifter, sport springs, struts/shocks, and caster/camber plates. They certainly won't be performed till the 87 goes bye bye.

Nothing too extravagant for now. I'd like to go crazy, but the 427... I would love to fire that thing up now and then. LOL. Who knows?

Some chrome 17x9's, a shaker hood, mach 1 style paint, kenne bell, and maybe a Xenon kit would be nice too. It's been so long since I've had a car that I could make look nice easy. Hehe. Jeez. I just spent like 7k in my head didn't I? Good thing I have some sense of real world bank account issues. Hahaha.

Oh, and something I didn't really do a comparison of. Actually driving the two. The new car is a DREAM on the highway, and it's much better in rush hour too. It's got just the right exhaust note, and cruises smooth as glass at 80mph+.