MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2002, 09:40 AM   #1
Vision
Registered Member

Question 2003 SVT Cobra.

Hey guys, a while back I was looking into purchasing a Mustang to join the ranks of the V8. I was informed a new Mustang was in development and was going to offer significantly better performance. Sure enough, the 2003 SVT Cobra seems to be just that. I have a few questions however, and hopefully you Mustang fanatics can give me some insight.

Am I going to have significant traction problems? If I buy this car, I do plan on taking it to the track as well as running it on the street. I've never done much racing at all with a FE/RWD platform so this all fairly new to me. All my drag and auto-x racing has been done on the DSM platforms (91 Talon TSi AWD, and a 95 GS-T). With nearly 400 hp at the crank, and RWD I can only imagine this car will want to shake it's butt all over the road. My GS-T dyno'ed at 368 hp to the wheels, which related to a little bit over 400 hp at the crank. Being that it was a FWD, it was a nightmare trying to get traction without slicks. How much of a problem is this going to pose for me on the street?

What about top end acceleration? One of my friends has a 2002 Camaro Z28, and he just rants about how the Mustang is so much slower to 150 mph than the Camaro. I would imagine a lot of that has to do with the Mustang being only a 5 speed as compared to the 6 speed in the Camaro, since it can take advantage of the power band range. But with the new Cobra having a 6 speed, will this solve most of that problem? Is there something else that is the culprit for this or is it just an ignorant rumor?

I had read a while back about Ford's SVO division (I think), producing a kit for $20,000 to change the 2002 SVT Cobra into the Cobra R model. I know the displacement is the same on the 2002 and 2003 Cobra's, but do they share the same internals, such as rods, pistons, and valves? Also, were there any significant changes to the head? If I wanted to bump the displacement from 4.6 to the 5.4 used in the Cobra R, what would I be looking at cost wise?

Is there any reason not to get this car? Such as something underlying going on at Ford that they are trying to hide? I really hope this car actually works out, because I'm ready to try the V8 world. I've had a lot of fun with DSM's, but I need a serious highway car, and unfortunately, the GST only has 5 gears.

Lastly, is there a projected date and time this car is supposed to go on sale? What kind of price tag will they stick it with?

Thanks for all the help guys, and I hope to join the Mustang ranks soon.

Vision
91 Talon TSi AWD - 11.194 @ 124
95 GS-T - 12.355 @ 115
Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 10:13 AM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Default Re: 2003 SVT Cobra.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vision

Am I going to have significant traction problems? If I buy this car, I do plan on taking it to the track as well as running it on the street. I've never done much racing at all with a FE/RWD platform so this all fairly new to me. All my drag and auto-x racing has been done on the DSM platforms (91 Talon TSi AWD, and a 95 GS-T). With nearly 400 hp at the crank, and RWD I can only imagine this car will want to shake it's butt all over the road. My GS-T dyno'ed at 368 hp to the wheels, which related to a little bit over 400 hp at the crank. Being that it was a FWD, it was a nightmare trying to get traction without slicks. How much of a problem is this going to pose for me on the street?
Any car with that much horsepower is going to have traction problems. You will have to learn how to lauch the SC V8. It will have much more torque than what you are used to having. Not sure how the 2003 Cobra's suspension is going to react to that much power.

Quote:

What about top end acceleration? One of my friends has a 2002 Camaro Z28, and he just rants about how the Mustang is so much slower to 150 mph than the Camaro. I would imagine a lot of that has to do with the Mustang being only a 5 speed as compared to the 6 speed in the Camaro, since it can take advantage of the power band range. But with the new Cobra having a 6 speed, will this solve most of that problem? Is there something else that is the culprit for this or is it just an ignorant rumor?
Having a 6 speed versus a 5 speed has nothing to do with top end power, unless you run out of gear. The reason the Camaro is faster up top is that it has more power. A mustang that has equal power will be near as fast (depending on the drag coefficient of the 2 bodies). This Cobra will have 390 HP, more than enough to take a Z28 up top.

Quote:

I had read a while back about Ford's SVO division (I think), producing a kit for $20,000 to change the 2002 SVT Cobra into the Cobra R model. I know the displacement is the same on the 2002 and 2003 Cobra's, but do they share the same internals, such as rods, pistons, and valves? Also, were there any significant changes to the head? If I wanted to bump the displacement from 4.6 to the 5.4 used in the Cobra R, what would I be looking at cost wise?
I have heard no such rumor. All mustang enthusiasts wish Ford would put the 5.4 in the mustang. Join the club.

Quote:

Is there any reason not to get this car? Such as something underlying going on at Ford that they are trying to hide? I really hope this car actually works out, because I'm ready to try the V8 world. I've had a lot of fun with DSM's, but I need a serious highway car, and unfortunately, the GST only has 5 gears.
If you don't like mustangs or fast cars, stay away from this car! But if you do, then go for it. The one question I have about this Cobra is how the IRS will handle the 390HP. It could have some bad wheel hop. But I read that they've "beefed" up the IRS so we'll have to wait and see. On the other hand with the IRS and the 275 tires all round, this car will kick some serious butt on the road course!

Quote:

Lastly, is there a projected date and time this car is supposed to go on sale? What kind of price tag will they stick it with?
So far the rumor is sometime this summer, with the coupe being priced around $35,000. Of course many dealer may add to the sticker price. In that case you could be looking at $40K+. Which if you consider brand new Vettes here in Dallas are going for $52K, and they only have 350HP, is a good deal.

Hope that helps.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 03:38 PM   #3
VNAMUS in VA
Registered Member

About the top speed.......
I remember reading that the new Cobra will have a governer that stops it at 155mph (?). I can't remember where.....sorry