MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default 2006 auto show... Camaro, Challenger are back...

I like the new Challenger, not sold on the Camaro...

I'm glad automakers are finally getting it, though... You have a brand name, you have a heritage... now use it.

Jeep also remodeled its Jeep Wrangler...
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
RBatson
Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: 2006 auto show... Camaro, Challenger are back...

I always like the 68-69 camaros, I really think the new one looks pretty sweet. All the new cars being displayed is what made me think of the Mustangworks again. I figured there would be some discussions on it.

The new camaro needs hideaway headlights though.

As far as the Chryslers, I'm not a fan of Chrysler but that Imperial is nice. Love the suicide doors.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: 2006 auto show... Camaro, Challenger are back...

Here is a pic of the camaro my brother photoshopped, he swapped the front ends and put some real wheels on it. I think that challenger is probably the coolest looking new musclecar........
Attached Images
File Type: gif concept69frontweb.gif (150.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
MY_92_DONKEY
2 words: Next Victim

Now if Ford would only go back to a pushrod motor we might still be a contender!
MY_92_DONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

Its all about the displacement......they need more than 281ci. A large displacement overhead cam engine would be cool, like persay a SOHC 427.......
Old 01-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

The challenger looks somewhat like the old ones. The camaro is not even close. Even though the charger is already out, I think dodge went the wrong way with that car. They did a better job with the challenger. I know I am a mustang guy anyway, but Ford has done the best job with making the mustang look somewhat like the old ones. And what's with all these great big wheels and little rubber band tires? I guess I am just old school, but there is no reason for more than a 17 inch wheel, IMO. I don't even like 16's myself. Mostly because 15 inch tires are cheaper.

Ha, I just looked at the challenger again and realized that if you take the grille out, the body lines are real similar to the old chevy caprice and impala.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

I agree completely...

How in the world do you piss all over the General Lee with that Charger? I think they got it this time...

Finally, it looks like they are getting it... "It" is not about rebates, or even gas mileage... "it" is about styling. If you get the styling right, like Ford did last year and what I think Daimler did with this Challenger... you will sell vehicles.

the only thing missing on that Challlenger is some chrome trim around the windshield...
Old 01-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
Capri306

Sorry if I sound like a pessimist, but I've been to the NAIAS for years (almost ten now), and you hardly see the final product look like what's there in "concept" form. I remember when the 'next generation' Mustangs were there a few years back, with the tail pipes sticking through the rear bumper cover. I thought to myself then, "yeah right, Ford doesn't have the balls to stick tailpipes through the rear like that!" Sure enough...

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely hoping like heck these things see the light of day. I just won't be surprised when they show up looking like every other car on the road: jellybean-like Grand Prix-lookin' pieces of plastic.

When's that new damn Bronco coming out, anyway?

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Rumor- That camaro is Front Wheel Drive and they are back to the drawing board... my friend read that- he works at BMW dealer (Oh so that makes him reputable ). I'll have to look that up I guess or risk being tarred and feathered for even bringing it up

Has anyone else noticed that there is no way they can turn the front wheels on that camaro? It looks like something that rolled out of a G unit video or whatever in the hell thugz call themselves these days.

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Okay- Tar me he was wrong... RWD, 6.0 Liter, 6 speed with 400bhp- Check this video out!!! Looks much better here! Paste this in your browser:

mms://c9o.earthcache.net/woc-01.media.globix.net/COMP000787MOD1/roadandtrack/2006/0601_camaro_hi.wmv

Or follow the link to this thread where a bunch of "different" people hang out. Do it just for the video though... no traders!

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209846

Now if they only made that car without the bow tie on the front

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #11
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Well, in the video in the Camaro looked a little better, but I still am not feeling that car.

I will give chevy one thing. Putting a bigger engine in it as they have in the concept is a breath of fresh air. I am not against the new motors, just wish they would ad some CI to them. With that said, I have not been in the new stangs, but hear they are no slo pokes either.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #12
1965GTO
Registered Member

The Camaro concept based on the Kappa platform that GM cancelled was beautiful. See:
http://www.thecarmagazine.com/en/inf...tid=39241&pg=3
But this new concept looks more like a Cadillac and will probably be overpriced and not a big seller. They should make it look as much like a 67-69 camaro as possible and keep the base model affordable, even undercutting the Mustang. A 4 cylinder engine would do the job. Remember the first mustang with a base 6 cylinder, they sold a few of them!! The Challenger looks good but it is going to probably cost more than a Mustang, get worse fuel mileage and it is a Mercedes Benz, so not for me.
1965GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
Mustaang girly
Mustaang girly

Chevy and Dodge are copying the mustang, they are copycats is all!
Ford was the 1st with everything if you think way back. I don't feelthe camero at all either.
Mustaang girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #14
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I'm not sure all this retro throwback impresses me a lot. The originals are so much more than looks or performance. I think the real Mustangs died with the fox body. My 2002GT got a lot of compliments. It looked sweet, but it had maintanence problems up the yin-yang, and quite frankly, it had no personality. Oh, and it sounded like a school bus at low rpm.

Personality is what's important to me. If the car is going to portray itself as a modern day musclecar or throwback to the originals, it should act like the originals. At least to some extent. These cars they release today appease magazine editors that want their car to look like it could rip a hole through the pavement, but behave like grandma's station wagon going down the road.

To me, it's all exciting on the outside, bland on the inside. But, then again, that's what most people these days want. Just an object they can point to in the driveway. An image that doesn't need to do anything more than impress the neighbors and get from point A to point B as uneventfully as possible.

Leave the legends to the past or the people that still truly want them because the cars today aren't up to par with what those old cars had.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:07 PM   #15
Mustaang girly
Mustaang girly

Yes, I agree with you that there was nothing like the old cars. Do you still have your 02GT? How long did you have it before you had problems? Any car can have problems though. My mom had a toyota camry and there was always something wrong with it, and those cars are suppose to be #1 reliablility. It lot has to do with luck too. I use my 05 GT as my daily driver and hopefully I won't have much problems. What do you think is the best car to drive daily?
Mustaang girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #16
1965GTO
Registered Member

Best new car to drive daily? Just for going to work and back? Yaris, corolla, cobalt, focus, etc. There can't be a vehicle that is best for everything. If you can only own one and still want to have a certain performance level, then you have to pick what you need. Or you can own one and rent something else when needed. I'm thinking about renting a Mustang this year for bracket racing. Good chance I'll buy another used Mustang in the next year or two.
1965GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #17
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 5302

To me, it's all exciting on the outside, bland on the inside. But, then again, that's what most people these days want. Just an object they can point to in the driveway. An image that doesn't need to do anything more than impress the neighbors and get from point A to point B as uneventfully as possible.
Your synopsis got it right... its all about the styling.

That is what SELLS cars, which is exactly what Ford and GM haven't been doing...

We can talk about pure enthusiasts all day long, but they are a niche that can't support the industry, at least not at modern capacity...

Image, now THAT is marketable to the masses.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #18
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The Mustang survives partially on the enthusiast crowd. If not for the enthusiasts, the Mustang would have been a front wheel drive 4 banger in 1989 (Probe).

Quite frankly, marketing may be easier with a good looking car, but if your lineup frequently changes names because the old car has created such an ominous name for itself that people won't even consider buying it, mere looks alone will not sustain excitement. i.e. I'm in the market for a new car at this very moment, and I can't bring myself to consider the Mustang.

I sold my 2002 GT at 17k, just after the transmission was repaired because the 3rd gear syncros failed. I was the original owner and I babied that car from 26mi on up. Problems started developing well before 10,000 miles. Compared to my 88GT, 87GT or even my 2 - 88 LX's, the 02 was a pile.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote