View Single Post
Old 04-24-2002, 06:27 AM   #1
wildneg
Registered Member

Default Redo Block & Convert to EFI? Prices?

How hard would it be, and price, to convert my 83' to EFI? It already looks like a newer (91) mustang. The engine compartment is basically stripped out and nothing but a carberated block. I have over heating issues and was planning on doing that fan upgrade from the Mach VIII.

I was going to sell this car and buy a already EFI but all the cars i'm finding have pretty poor bodies and rust. Which I guess is understandable. Mine is very clean on the body and underneath. Ever since I bought it, its been garaged and/or tarped. So it's always kept clean. So I was thinking of just keeping this body (Factory Installed T-tops) and removed the carb engine and putting in a simple 302 block with some performance. I'm basically wanting a pretty reliable cruising car. The state it is in right now, its basically a big bad muscle car for the streets.

So I guess i'm wondering, how much would it cost to get a crate motor or a simple 302 with performance pistons and crank? I can put it on my engine stand and put in a cam, heads, intake, etc. Get everything ready outside of the car and then drop it in when its all completed. I am basically trying to build maybe a 12 second street car that would be reliable and pass emissions. Main goal here, is to convert over to EFI when I do it. Do they sell kits or do I have to hunt down a junk yard mustang to steal everything from?

If 12 second car will cost to much to do (all engine), then what about a low 13 or so car? I don't want to spend all that much hooking this car up. I'm hoping over the summer I'll finish it up! I'm not made of money either! =)

If anyone can give me some ideas on what combos to use, and maybe where to get them? I get all sorts of mustang mags so I have a lot of things in there. But finding a cheap almost stock block with just a little upgrade on pistons and crank would be the hardest. Most are like 1800 for a short block but thats like a '300h/p block!'. Well, please let me know possible combos and what exactly to do with the EFI conversion. What size pump to get, and all that. I will be replacing the fuel tank as well, so will need to know what to change in there as far as the pump type/size. And if anyone knows where to buy that fan online? Mach VIII 80amp fan? Thanks.

-- Kevin P
-- kevin@techsi.net
wildneg is offline   Reply With Quote