MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #1
429mustang
Registered Member

Default So, what riding mower should I buy???

I'm gonna go buy a riding mower between tomorrow and friday, I've narrowed it down to Husqvaurna (correct spelling????) and Cub Cadet. I'd like to spend just under $2000, the Cub is $1999- 50" deck/24hp v-twin/ hydrostatic trans (foot throttle controls), the Husq. is 1799 and has a 48" deck, 22 (i think) HP v-twin/hydrostatic trans (lever throttle control). The throttle pedals are cooler, but the Husq. looks better (orange/grey) and comes with beefier tires and is $200 cheaper. John Deers are pretty much out of the picture now just cause they're way smaller/less options for the money ( the $1999 model is still a 42" deck with a Kohler 17.5hp motor). Anyway, if anyone has any ideas/opinions on what would be the best buy I'd really appreciate it.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
BigCountryGT
Registered Member

The john deer costs more because it is better (quality).
Kabotas are about the best but are going to be more than 2k.

I'm not sure about the HusQ but MTD, Murray, cubcadet, lowes are all about the same.

I would go with the Kohler over the Briggs.

It all depends on the amount of grass you have to cut and how well you maintain them.

The cubs, Murray, etc. ... have a lot of trouble from the front end and deck such as welds breaking and bushing wear.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
420nitro
Registered Member

I was looking at the same thing a month ago. I went with the Cub Cadet w/ Bagger. Cost me $2,100.00 (approx) out the door.
18.5 hp and a 42 inch deck.
If Had the $$$ I would go with the Simplicity. All my neighbors except for one has a John Deere. The other guy has the Simplicity. I drove most of them. The Simplicity cut the BEST.... hands down!!!!! Now I am the only one with the Cub Cadet cant justify spending $4-5000 on a tractor. No problems yet with the tractor...cut the grass 3x already. I cut 1.5 acres.
My .02
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
mustardjohn
Registered Member

The Dixie Chopper is the best but a good used one will be about 3500-4500. New about 6K
Old 04-15-2004, 08:00 PM   #5
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

F Mowers! I pay someone to cut my grass. I don't ever run out of gas, have to pay for repairs, or cut the dam stuff. My service costs $25 a cut (1/2 acre). I can have my lawn cut for years before a rider pays for itself and best yet, I don't have to do it.

I am not lazy, I just like to spend my time doing other stuff. It's takes me two to three hours to do the lawn when you factor in the trim work and getting rid of the clippings AND the interruptions. That's paying me $8 an hour if a do it myself plus a few buck for gas. My grass cutting days are way over.

But, if you were to buy a rider, John Deer. Buy a blower for the stang instead (lol).

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:26 PM   #6
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

DO NOT GET ANYTHING THAT IS MADE BY MTD.

nuf said.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:53 AM   #7
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Quote:
Originally posted by mustardjohn
The Dixie Chopper is the best but a good used one will be about 3500-4500. New about 6K
Agreed! Dixie choppers kick ass and the Grasshoppers are a close second. But, they cost quite a bit more. They are fun as hell to drive too!

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #8
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hethj7
Agreed! Dixie choppers kick ass and the Grasshoppers are a close second. But, they cost quite a bit more. They are fun as hell to drive too!
When I gave up my old Sears and all the headaches and hired a guy who has a dixie chopper he cut my yard in less than half the time it took me on a good day. Maybe even a quarter of the time.

Whatever you get, get power and lots of it. I think that is more important than the cutting width. The dixie chopper must be at least 25 horse and it grinds up ever thing in its path going 25 mph. Thats cutting the grass!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 08:47 PM   #9
stvneil
Registered Member

Thumbs up mowers

get a good zero turn radius mower, will outlast the others. the others are slow. bought a toro for my father in law a couple of years ago for 3k, worth every cent and at 78 he cuts 4 acres in 1 hour. spend a little now, you won't regret it.
stvneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:19 PM   #10
429mustang
Registered Member

The ZRT's are pretty sweet, but a little out of my price range ($2000, although I originally planned on spending around $1000). I ended up getting the Husqvaurna 21hp v-twin 48"deck. It's pretty sweet, I'll be up early tomorrow morning trying it out so we'll see how it works out. Any performance mods that can be done to it ??? (port work/header/etc.) I don't want to really cut a new mower up, but if there's anything I can do to it to up the power let me know. I was thinking of eventually making a new header/muggler setup with dual turndowns out back .
Old 04-16-2004, 10:29 PM   #11
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I would throw in a shifter, pullies, and a K&N for starts.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote