MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-04-2001, 08:00 PM   #1
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

Question potential 5.0 owner soon..... are you happy with your Mustang?

Hey everyone, I'm out there lookin' for a 5.0 of my own. I was on here earlier in the year planning out a 'stang build-up, and I bought an MR2 turbo about 2 1/2 months ago. Now I'm ready to sell that and get a 5.0. I saw my ideal 5.0 today, black LX 5.0 coupe for sale at a lot. I will call tomorrow. But I want to know how these are on repairs. Do any of you feel like you own a money-pit? I have had this MR2 and a Nissan 240sx before that, so I'm used to good reliable Japanese cars. But when they do need to be fixed, it costs 2x since it's not American. That's why I'm wanting to switch over... I want to be able to walk into a shop with a car prob., and walk out happy, since I barely spent any money. Is a Mustang the answer? Thanks for the help.
GreeceLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 08:17 PM   #2
venumus93
Registered Member

Cool

I love my 'Stang and have 102,000 miles on it. Only replaced a water pump & clutch. They are very easy to work on & modify, too! Come on out to Orlando Speedworld(Bithlo) on Fri nights for test & tune & you'll see tons of very happy mustang owners! Later!

------------------
93Cobra#3974
off-road h-pipe, 2chamber flowmasters, hurst shifter, moroso cold-air induction, march street pullies, best 1/4 14.461 at 98.15mph, best 60' 2.233
venumus93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 08:30 PM   #3
stanger8172
Registered Member

Wink

If you plan on leaving it stock and driving it like a granny then you should have few probs( considering it's history and how YOU baby the car, of course)If you plan on modding it you should have patience. Modding it is another world v. stockers. I love modding my Mustang and wouldn't wish it any other way!!! The aftermarket parts world is humungous for stangs too, the possibilities are virtually endless. This site will also help you with any question you have about your stang. Later!

------------------
'91 LX convertible , T-5,Centerforce Dual Friction, FMS adjustable cable w/quadrant, ported/polished/milled E7 heads, 1.6rr, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties, 2 1/2" off road H-pipe, Summit 2 1/2" catback, March Performance Pulleys and A/C Eliminator
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 08:37 PM   #4
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

Well I definitely plan on modifying. I will drive conservatively, unless there is someone to race of course. It is very addictive, I could never settle for a stock car. What are some estimates on common repairs? Like, how much was that clutch job? I hear the King Cobra's are good. Hmm, I can't think of any other common repairs right now... how much for a tune-up (one that you would get after buying a new used car ~100k miles)? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-04-2001, 09:08 PM   #5
Stang Runner
Registered Member

A Tune up Fuel filter, oil filter plugs, wires, cap&rotor,coil all for about $120 for good parts if you di it your self. It is ez to all those thingd listed about 40min or so maybe longer. OOO make sure timming at about 12-14 BTDC. I have had a shop do a cluth one time under $300
A mustang that has good maintence and stays that was will be very good to you and can take a beating and never miss a Rev. I love mine as you can tell!!!!!!

------------------
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, Home ported Lower Intake, No power steering, No A/C
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5z,

Real power STUFF I Have and will put some time: Mac cold intake, 70MM TB, Valve covers (COOL ONES)255 Fuel pump NOS Dry 75HP, AFR 165 58cc, GT-40 Intake.
Next to get: Rocker Arms,Cam,Injectors 24, What might I need???See It at www.computerconquest.com
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 09:15 PM   #6
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I've been very pleased with my car.

It's 10 years old and still running strong with 123,000 miles. Of course, it has a new engine, but that's because I got the power bug, not because the original was shot.

For repair and modification purposes, it's hard to beat the good ole' push-rod Ford V-8. As far as common repair costs...really all you need to pay for is the part in most cases. Most common repairs can be done on a Saturday afternoon with a good set of wrenches. The parts themselves are very competitively priced due to the huge aftermarket there is for the late-model Mustangs.

You can buy a tune-up kit from some places with wires, pluges, PCV valve, fuel filter, etc. for around somewhere around $100. You can install those easily.

If you've never worked on cars but are willing to learn, the 5.0 is a great motor to learn on. I knew about jack when I started out, but spending time on this board and reading books and mags taught me most of what I needed to know. Don't be afraid to jump on in and get your hands dirty. You'll learn how to work on your car and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.

If you have any questions let us know.

--nathan

------------------
'91 GT, 306, 1087 cam, 70mm TB, 76mm MAF, RPM intake, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, headers, Flows, AOD, PI 2800 converter, Transgo kit, and 3.73's. Best ET/MPH: 14.595 @ 94.41 (3400 ft altitude = 13.99 @ 98.54 @ sea level).

Check out my site

[This message has been edited by silver_pilate (edited 11-04-2001).]
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 09:50 PM   #7
abesmith69
Registered Member

I love my Stang, it has 82000 miles on it and I have only replaced the water pump which was $30 (put on myself). The only problem with owning a stang is you use a lot of gas smoking all the imports.

BTW how much you planning on buying your stang for and what are the specs ?

Abe

------------------
1990 Mustang GT Convertible, Blue with Grey ground effects and white top. Black Leather interior pw,pl,ps,pm, premium sound system. All stock =(
abesmith69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 10:03 PM   #8
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs up

You can't beat a Mustang 5.0 for reliability, especially compared to GM cars.

Parts are very reasonable and the car is easy to work on. Electronic problems are a pain, but with a code reader and a little common sense they can be surmounted.

The King Cobra clutch & PP runs under $200. and is a good piece for a daily driver. I know, I have one in my '90 LX.

Testimonial:

I bought my LX brand new in March 1990 and I still drive it daily. 112,000 miles, lots of races, lots of good times and very few unscheduled repairs. You'll wonder why you waited so long to buy a real car
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 10:11 PM   #9
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I've owned somewhere in the vicinity of 20 different cars/trucks from Fords, Chevy's, a Honda, a Jeep, you name it. I can honestly say without being a bit biased that the 5.0L Mustang is THE best car I've had when it comes to:
1. Reliability - My car should run low 13's if I could get traction, and it's still very dependable. I just drove it on a 500+ mile round trip today and never had a single thought when I left home that the car might not get me there and back. We could have taken my wife's Neon which would have been a little (read - LITTLE) easier on the fuel, and almost as dependable, but my car is just so much fun to drive I can't leave it at home. Hell, if I were going to California tomorrow you could bet your @ss I'd be driving the Stang. I almost forgot to mention... my car has 137,000 miles on it and still doesn't use a drop of oil between oil changes and I drive it like I hate it.
2. Modability (look, a new word!) - I have done all of the modifying to my car myself without knowing a THING about fuel injected cars in the beginning. That was only a year and a half ago. Plus, mods for these cars are pretty cheap too compared to most other cars.
3. Finding parts - I have yet to go to the parts store and they say "we'll have to order that" on your regular every day parts. Of course though, I order most of my stuff from the internet and performance catalogs.
4. Overall driving enjoyment - These cars are just fun as hell to drive.

So yes, I love my car. There's only two things that mean anything to me. My wife, and my car.

Warning: If you buy a Stang you will more than likely feel the same.

Oh yeah. In response to your question about these cars being money pits - Yes they are! Not because you have to put money into them to keep them rolling. It's just too irresistible not to.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241

[This message has been edited by 2FastLX (edited 11-04-2001).]
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 10:25 PM   #10
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

If you want to see something really cool about these cars pick up a Summit and a Jegs catalog. Towards the back of each catalog you will find a section dedicated to the 5.0L Mustang. It's even bigger than the Camaro section. I find that to be a definate "+" when it comes to the volume of aftermarket parts these guys sell that they have to dedicate a section just for us.
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 11:02 PM   #11
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

Thumbs up

You guys are a great help, thanks a lot for the quick replies. I do know my way around cars, I've been modding them on my own and doing repairs, with the help of my step-dad. I have learned a lot about cars in the past year and a half. I have a good general idea of how pushrod v8's work and all that, and I would never pay someone to install an exhaust for me or something stupid like that. But something like installing a clutch, I would rather leave that to the pros for now. I am still looking on AutoTrader.com for a semi-low mileage, decent price, good condition car nearby. It's so hard to find a stock one. Reasons I want the 5.0 is, *cheap for mods (and can go fast easy), *cheap for repairs, *love the sound of those big v8's, plus I've always liked the 5.0 since I was little and didn't know anything about it.
Old 11-05-2001, 01:09 PM   #12
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs up

167,000 hard earned miles, and two transmissions from racing. Other than that, only regular maintenance, and a few thins have gone that usually go when they get old! I've been VERY happy with my Stang, and recommend them highly! Good luck!

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 01:32 PM   #13
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

I just got rid of my 91GT and got a 89 notch. I bought the GT 2 and a half years ago and have had the notch for about 4 months. The only thing I have ever replaced on either of them was a water pump on the GT. 30 bucks of repairs for 2 and a half years of driving 5.0's isnt too bad at all in my opinion. Ford has got their A/C down to a science too, and it is great in that Florida heat. Just go to a Fun Ford weekend or something and you'll see why we all love these cars. Good luck in finding one, John
NotchJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 09:00 AM   #14
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Talking

I'd have to agree with everyone here- especially 2FastLX- it IS a money pit- I don't think I've ever had extra cash floating around without spending it on the next mod I wanted! One more thing of worthy note- with such a huge aftermarket, there's competition for pricing--- My 4-point Strut Tower brace cost $130 whereas my ricer friend had to fork out $360 for a two-point model!!!! Mod for mod, this has to be one of the most cost-efficient performance cars on the face of this earth. There's nothing I love more than making some rich b!tch eat my dust knowing that I spent a fraction of the money they did on a better car!
JohnnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 09:55 AM   #15
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I never thought I could have so much fun driving. Mods are cheap, the car is EASY to work on, and the only thing I've needed is a new water pump and a clutch cable. It's one of those cars you can jump into and drive a thousand miles without thinking twice about it. I also can't believe the beating this thing will take too. Sees 5500 rpm on a daily basis, doesn't burn any oil, starts great, good mileage, the list goes on. Buy a Stang!

------------------
'91 LX Hatch, 17x8.5 ROH ZR6's, lowered, 3.73's, offroad H pipe, SN Cobra cat-back, ASP pullies, 14° timing, C&L 76mm MAF, 170A 3G, B&M Ripper on a T5
Best ET run: 14.593 @ 94.62, 2.292 60'
Best MPH run: 14.728 @ 95.72 mph, 2.423 60'
Best 60': 2.230
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L

jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 05:33 PM   #16
haulin'balz
The Notorious One

Cool

I LOVE my stang - and yes, it's my $$$ pit.....by my own choice though. I don't drive it daily like most on this site, luckily it's my "fun" car that the wife hates . I figure I've only got about another $8k-$10k before everything is exactly the way I want it Get the stang........love your stang!

------------------
'90 5.0 LX - heads, intake, cam, fuel delivery, gears, full exhaust, pulleys, ignition, drag springs, front brake upgrade, a/c delete, K&N cone filter charger.......and much more!
1/4 mile: 12.29 @113
60': 1.78

my ride
haulin'balz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 06:02 PM   #17
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I just bought my second 5.0 about a month ago. It only has 59,000 miles on it. First time I got on it, I remembered my I love mustangs so much.

Just treat her right and don't beat her up too much and you should be fine as far as maintenance. BTW: I just did a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, fuel filter) it only cost me $100 and I did the work myself in about an hour and a half. VERY EASY.

------------------
89 GT 5-speed: Dynomax Cat-Back, Dynomax H-pipe w/cats, Pro 5.0, Densecharger
Waiting for install: ASP Pulleys, Short Belt
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote