MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-23-2002, 11:47 PM   #1
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Question Air Force??

Ok. I have been accepted into med school, but am now facing the huge debt. I have been thinking about the air force to pay for it. I have to apply for it (it's a scholarship), but with my references and academic standing, I'll have no trouble getting it (haha, modest, aren't I?) Anyway. Any insight on draw backs, why I shouldn't do it? I have looked over the years I will owe and stuff, any hidden traps? I am in shape, and according to my brother, an air force pilot, I'll have no trouble with physical aspect. I run a good three miles in 21 min. Is that pretty good? Anyway, any help will be appreciated! Thanks

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:48 AM   #2
MEDIK418
Registered Member

I take it that you are degreed. If you don't mind mediocre pay for a bunch of years then it might not be too bad. I'm willing to bet the malpractice won't be too high there either.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 01:25 AM   #3
1989GT
Registered Member

Do air force guys even run? I think they ride a bike for their PT test. Yeah if you can do 3 miles in 21 min. thats good. Yeah the pay isn't the best but air force guys have a pretty easy life. I'm in the army and when air force guys stay in the same type of barracks that I stay in they get substandard living pay. Basically it's good enough for army guys to live in but not air force guys so they get paid extra for it not being up to their standard. Kinda fucked up but ohh well. Just one of the many things on the list. But look in to it. It's not that bad. Well if your brother is an pilot then he should be able to fill you in pretty well.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 04:56 AM   #4
Mustanguy

Cool

Go for it!

I have a cousin thats been in the Air Force the last 20 or so years and is retiring at or around 45yrs old,he loved it,and have another guy that I'm friends with,he joined right after he got out of high school,he also enjoys it.

Of all the armed forces,I would choose the Air Force to join.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:20 AM   #5
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Air Force = Nancy Boys

If you want to be ragged on forever after you get out, go ahead and join.

Go Army!

Theres just nothing like getting to blow crap up and having to walk 27 miles with a 95 lb back pack to do it Its what men are made from.

Bragging rights,,priceless!
Old 11-24-2002, 05:05 PM   #6
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangII460
Air Force = Nancy Boys

If you want to be ragged on forever after you get out, go ahead and join.

Go Army!

Theres just nothing like getting to blow crap up and having to walk 27 miles with a 95 lb back pack to do it Its what men are made from.

Bragging rights,,priceless!
Well as a Nancy Boy who can read .... joining the AF and working in the MEDICAL field is a little different from being a pilot or any other support person.
The pay over time can help you eliminate the debt and give you the chance to see the world.
See the world - could be a good thing or bad.
Military life isn't for everyone, but AF life is far more tolerable, IMHO.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 05:32 PM   #7
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I've thought about going into the service to help pay off loans when I'm done. I have my degree, and will soon have my masters in physical therapy. Air Force offers some pretty enticing $$ back for college if you come and practice in the service.

Oh, and don't rag on the AF boys too hard. My granddad was career AF, and he's no nancy. Sure, the physical stuff isn't as hard, but they get the job done in other ways.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 08:08 PM   #8
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Nancy Boys is a very old term. Veterans of any branch have earned the right to rag, any other branch. Its what we do. Non Veterans do not share that right.

I always rag on the Air Force, Navy and Marines. Thats why they have the Army.

My Veteran bros I work with call me all sorts of things, no biggie. I except the challenge and always respond with vigor!

It always ends up the Air Force guys are too sensitive. Lighten up.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:25 PM   #9
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Dude, I wasn't heavy. No need to lighten up here...unless you were referring to SMOKE...

I know all about the raggin on other branches thing. I've been very close friends with many people in the service. I don't rag on any of their branches, although I do rag on them on occasion .

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:05 AM   #10
The Deuce
Registered Member

I say go for it. Navy fly-boys get the most tail, nothing like landing on a postage stamp in the ocean. Of course, there was that whole tail-hook thing.

Honestly though, I know a USAF Major who is an MD, and did what you are thinking about. If you don't mind the haircut, it's not bad.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:13 AM   #11
91Saleen
Registered Member

I know our enlisted pay sucks, but you usually see the Doc's driving some NICE cars. I don't know what they get paid, but it's gotta be good.

Army guys are just pissed at us cause the AF wouldn't let em in. It's not our fault Air Force requires a high school diploma!
Old 11-25-2002, 01:36 PM   #12
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Hey, I know all about other branches ragging on others. My grandfather was a Marine in Vietnam, my dad was a Marine, my cousin is a Major in special ops for the army (air borne and a ranger), my brother is a pilot for the air force, my friend is at med school for the navy.... i think i've heard it all . Well see how this turns out. I'll let you guys know. BTW, the army Major has had a distinguished career in the army, and is pushing for his daughter and son to go into the air force: he apparently was treated to some pretty shitty situations. Stuff that no matter how tough you are, you feel that it shouldn't happen, you know? Oh well, I'll keep exploring.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 11-25-2002, 02:53 PM   #13
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

ahahahah...... 91 Saleen.. hey I got 12 years of schooling, so what if three of them were the 10th grade.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Airforce Creed According To The Other Branches"

I, (insert name), swear to sign four years of my usless life away to the United States Air Force beacuse I couldn't hack it in the Army and the Marines frighten me. I swear to sit behind a desk and take all the credit for the work done by others more dedicated than myself who take their job seriously. I also swear not to do any form of real excercise.

I swear to defend the Constitution of the United States even thopugh I believe myself above that. I promise to walk around calling everyone by their first name because I know I'm not really in the military, and I find it amusing to annoy all other branches. I will live a better quaility of life than all those around me and will at times be sure to let them know it.

After completion of my (snicker) Basic Training, I will be a trained donut eating, lazy boy sitting , civilian wearing blue clothes, a chair born ranger.

I will belive I am superior to all others and will make a constant effort to clean the knife before stabbing the next person in the back with it. I will do no work (unless someone is watching me and I look good), annoy those around me and go home early daily. I consent to not ever getting promoted and understand that all those I made fun of will someday out rank me.

So help me God.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:17 AM   #14
91Saleen
Registered Member

Talking

460's got a sense of humor That creed is pretty damn funny. No seriously, I don't disrespect any other branches, we're all doing our part.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:29 AM   #15
1989GT
Registered Member

Good one 460! You know it's funny I didn't even consider the air force. But I could've gotten in easily. I just got a letter from West point the other day. They want me to go to school there. I thought that was quite an honor. But I think I'm still going to finish up my Warrent Officer packet and go fly apaches.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:56 AM   #16
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Warrant Officer would be the way to go. Alot of enlisted (NCO's) become Warrants.

Seems like a Warrant can just quit at any time. If they are not a flight MOS then they are usually in a some type of technical position. We had a W3 as a motor pool cheif. He was cool. Alot cooler than a commisioned officer.

Serving your country ANY way is the most anyone can do, other than giving their life while serving. Once anyone has completed or still serves, they become a member of a elite community, a veteran. Nothing compares to this in any way. I served for 5 years in the 1980's. I probibly would still be there, if I hadn't got injured, my bad.

I thought being a police officer would compare with the military, news flash, it don't. Not by a long shot.

God Bless our Veterans!
Old 11-26-2002, 01:45 PM   #17
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Well, just met with MSgt. Austin. Looks like I'm going to do it! I'll let you guys know if I get the scholarship, hopefully I will.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 11-27-2002, 04:51 AM   #18
Shogun
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah the pay isn't the best but air force guys have a pretty easy life. I'm in the army and when air force guys stay in the same type of barracks that I stay in they get substandard living pay. Basically it's good enough for army guys to live in but not air force guys so they get paid extra for it not being up to their standard.
1989GT I'm not sure what military your in. WE (Air Force) do not get payed for "substandard living" as you call it. In fact, I'll bet to wherever YOU deploy an Air Force RED HORSE unit was there FIRST making sure YOU had a place to sleep, shave, ****. Or, maybe you just believe the BS we Air Force types like to feed you.

Quote:
Oh, and don't rag on the AF boys too hard. My granddad was career AF, and he's no nancy. Sure, the physical stuff isn't as hard, but they get the job done in other ways.
YA, like clear the path to increase your surviveability. And to think, we do all of this from our air conditioned office desk jobs of course. But only after a coffey break. And maybe a doughnut or two.

Quote:
I, (insert name), swear to sign four years of my usless life away to the United States Air Force beacuse I couldn't hack it in the Army and the Marines frighten me. I swear to sit behind a desk and take all the credit for the work done by others more dedicated than myself who take their job seriously. I also swear not to do any form of real excercise.
Hack it in the Army? are you kidding? You mean over qualifed for any other service I can only assume. Oh, btw Marines frighten us? YOU Damn right! Army could only hope to be half as bad *** as them anyway.

Quote:
I swear to defend the Constitution of the United States even thopugh I believe myself above that. I promise to walk around calling everyone by their first name because I know I'm not really in the military, and I find it amusing to annoy all other branches. I will live a better quaility of life than all those around me and will at times be sure to let them know it.
Not my fault I'm smart. And I (we) are truly sorry for the Air Force recruting us for our minds and not robotic abilty to follow orders mindlessly. However, it dose amuse us that you are preturbed. Oh, I mean mad.

Quote:
I will belive I am superior to all others and will make a constant effort to clean the knife before stabbing the next person in the back with it. I will do no work (unless someone is watching me and I look good), annoy those around me and go home early daily. I consent to not ever getting promoted and understand that all those I made fun of will someday out rank me.

Well, I guess than you mean we actually earn our rank. And you are right, we do foster leadership in all Air Force personnel. However to say that we are "superior" well, that is a bit of a strech, but it is your opinion. As far as going home early...well I'll let you figure that one out. all in fun right?
Proud RHC member #99
1990 Mustang GT Trick Flow heads,F303,Mac cold air,FMS 65mm tb,73mm ma,FMS 1.6,GT-40 intake,MSD igintion,NOS Big Shot@150,Mac equal shorties,Mac h-pipe,American Thunder flows,Centerforce dual friction,TTC 3550,alm drive shaft, 3.73's, HPM subframes, k-member brace, strut tower brace.. amongst others.
Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:43 AM   #19
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

well, not everybody in any branch is created equal. I had a friend that tried to major in math in college. He found out he was too stupid... and went army.... hehe But then again, my cousin is a bright guy (the ranger). What ever branch, we should all be proud to have such a great military!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 11-27-2002, 01:13 PM   #20
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool Some of us can defend freedom half way across the world and be home for dinner.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rice Hunter
What ever branch, we should all be proud to have such a great military!
And comments like this make us proud to serve.

As for the service jokes .... whatever .
I serve with the Army now and my previous job was joint so I've heard the same jokes and better ones too.

Bottomline: Be proud to serve and always serve with honor and integrity because we should always represent the best our country can offer.

Rice Hunter - good luck on the entry and I hate to say it but hopefully we don't meet. Hate hospitals.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote