MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-05-2001, 03:46 PM   #1
Cajun
Registered Member

Wink Any other 01 Cobras out there???

Haven't had a chance to get to the dragstrip yet. Waiting on a few more miles on the car for the chance to hit the strip. Horsepower seems to be badly underrated in the 01 Cobra. Anyone else dyno out there?? Anyone run an 01 Cobra, stock, at the drags yet? Just wanting to compare numbers. Would like to get an idea of what times to expect. Sure does seem to be a different beast than the previous two GT's that I owned. I think Ford got this one right.
DT

------------------
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 08:19 PM   #2
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Dude, Props on the nice car! I'd kill for those new head lights!!!

Haven't seen any other 01 Cobras posting yet... I guess it's soon to come!

Come to think of it there is a 99+ Cobra in the Female forum if I'm not mistaken... You should check!
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 11:37 AM   #3
Cajun
Registered Member

Lizard: The 01 is quite a bit diferent from the 99's. Hopeing the car is a bit quicker. Thanks
Danny

------------------
Old 05-06-2001, 01:44 PM   #4
Ripper
Registered Member

Question

Cajun,
How much different are the 01s from the 99s other than the performance bugs are supposed to be worked out? I've been keeping my eye on a 01 Cobra at the local dealership. It's a sweet car and I'm surprised it's still there.

------------------
1999 GT - Laser Red
K&N, Steeda pulleys, Steeda strut tower brace & Tri-ax
(Upcoming mods: subframes (bought), Bassani X (next), & FMS 3.73s
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 03:19 PM   #5
Cajun
Registered Member

Ripper: The owner of the local Ford Dealership and I raced boats together for 2 years. We are very close, like brothers, close. I really happened to buy this Cobra quite by accident. I had a supercharged Focus and was looking into buying either a Baby Grand or Legend racecar. I have previously owned 2 Mustang GT's. After he told me about the 01 Cobra, my mind was made up. Why not own a car that I can drive to work, charge off on my business, and race every day, instead of once a month. According to him: Ford released the 99 Cobras with much less than quoted horsepower. With the bad publicity, Mustang SVT division was told to either get it right or don't build it, hence, no 2000 Cobras. Now for the 01 Cobra. Ford boasts 320hp at 6000 rpm, bull!!!
My car with 2100 miles on it dynoed 338 rwhp@6600 rpm with a DiabloSport chip installed. The 01 Cobra has independent rear suspension. It is without a doubt, the finest riding, best handling Mustang that I have ever driven. Ford SVT literature claims that the car will run 150 mph, again wrong! I have had the car to 155, I didn't believe it, put my GPS and radar gun inside, sure enough, 155 mph. I don't know if it will run any faster, I ran out of road.
SVT literature boasts the car will quarter mile in 13.7 seconds, wrong again, it ran 12.96 on DOT road race tires, at 85 degree temperatures with 100% humidity. So far, everything that Ford has boasted in the SVT manual has been underquoted. If you can buy the car for Sticker Price, GET IT. The largest dealer in Houston had one Cobra, white, he wanted $5000.00 over sticker. The average price at all Southern Ford dealers is $3500 over sticker. Through my buddy at the dealership here, I got mine for sticker, he is not an SVY dealer, so he could not sell or transfer any SVT's here. He did, however, use one of his favors with a SVT dealer in Mobile, Alabama to get the car at sticker.
Go and drive the car, you will crave it. Be sure to turn off the traction control when driving the Cobra. The orange light will be on when the traction control is off. The traction control senses wheel spin and applies the rear brakes to control spin, it sucks!!!
I have yet to find anything that I am not pleased with on this car. The stereo is awesome, the power is intimidating, the car is beautiful. Give me your e-mail address and I will e-mail you a few pics. Or give me a call at 1-888-544-4626.
Thanks
Danny

------------------
Old 05-06-2001, 11:13 PM   #6
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

So other than the inconsistencies in production, the car is virtually indentical from 99 to 01 ... right?

338 rwhp@6600 = about 320 at the crankshaft, right?
Old 05-07-2001, 07:32 AM   #7
Cajun
Registered Member

Lizard: I think that 320 crank hp would be much less at the rear wheels. Most cars lose 20-30hp through the drivetrain. I am only relaying what was told to me by the dealer. I have never even seen a 99 Cobra. From what he says, the 99 Cobras were not making the horsepower that Ford claimed they were. 338 rear wheel hp should work out to about 350 crankshaft hp. But, this is with a chip, the chip adds about 12-15 hp.
Thanks
Danny

------------------
Old 05-07-2001, 11:58 AM   #8
Ripper
Registered Member

Wink

Cajun, you're killing me. I'm breaking out into a sweat just thinking about that Cobra waiting for me at the dealership. Thanks for the pics offer but believe me, I have pictures of these cars all over the place. I think I'm a Stang junkie.

------------------
1999 GT - Laser Red
K&N, Steeda pulleys, Steeda strut tower brace & Tri-ax
(Upcoming mods: subframes (bought), Bassani X (next), & FMS 3.73s
Old 05-07-2001, 01:10 PM   #9
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cajun:
My car with 2100 miles on it dynoed 338 rwhp@6600 rpm with a DiabloSport chip installed.
I almost NEVER call BS on anything I read here, but sorry, Im gonna have to see that dyno slip to believe this. Chevy underrates the Z's, but Ford underrating this cobra? Also, as far as I know, nothing has changed from the 99's other than that SVT got their **** together. How can this cobra be making ~30 more HP? Please scan and post a slip, and I will gladly admit my ignorance. This is not a flame, I just have a hard time believing that the LS1 guys will have to start watching out for 01 Cobras (although that would be sweet). Thank you.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Magnaflow mufflers, K&N
Steeda springs, subs, strut tower, CC plates
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 01:39 PM   #10
LT1 Z28
Registered Member

338 multiplied by 1.18 for 18% drivetrain loss would give 398 HP at the crank! Holy crap Batman!
LT1 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 01:47 PM   #11
FivepointOH
Registered Member

I agree, post the dyno slip... also what was the mph when you ran that 12.96?

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 02:35 PM   #12
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

I'm sooo embrassed ... (and on crack j/k)

In my little world, for a fraction of a minute, the cars gained from the crankshaft to the wheels!!!! Wouldn't it be a great world if it could be true ...

Old 05-07-2001, 03:03 PM   #13
inferno
The Instigator

Cut this guy some slack will ya!! Maybe they put the Cobra R engine in by mistake at the factory

------------------
90 Honda CRX aka Project Mongoose
Estimated Completion: 7/1/01
453 horses with a stock head...built head and LSD on the way

84 Toyota Supra
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.
Have HKS turbo manifold for it.....T04e next week

inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 03:10 PM   #14
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Let me point out your OWN inconsistancies here cajun. Well atfirst you said your waiting to get it broken in to race it, yet you made a dyno run? Same thing. Then you say you ran 12.96, but I thought you were waiting to break it in to race it? I think your dyno was way off or your way out of it.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406- TFS Heads, E-303, edelbrock intake,70MM TB, 73mm MAF, off road H, headers and 3chamber flows.
12.55@107mph
Going for 11's on 87 octane with A/C and 20+MPG!!!
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 03:39 PM   #15
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

You know, it would really hurt if he came up with those Dyno papers. Cuz 338 rwhp sounds like an R to me! =)
Old 05-07-2001, 04:02 PM   #16
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Motor Trend TV dynoed a Cobra R and got 378 rwhp. MM&FF scored 371.8rwhp, so he doesn't have a Cobra R

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B+M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 04:20 PM   #17
Ripper
Registered Member

Unhappy

Something is still not right if the Cobra R has dynoed at 370+ RWHP and it's suppose to have only 385hp at the flywheel. IF the RWHP is correct, that would be a tremendously underrated motor by flywheel numbers.
Old 05-07-2001, 06:27 PM   #18
Unit 5302
Registered Member

For 17% driveline loss you cannot multiply by 1.17 to come up with an accurate number.

You must either multiply by .17 and add that number to the rwhp, or divide by .83 (1-.17).

In this case you're stating 18% loss, which would equate to 412hp at the flywheel.

398 x 1.18 is not the same as 338 / (1-.18). When taken in that context adding and subtracting within a product is not communicative.

Regardless, the solid post fix Cobra's were dynoing at 280rwhp, which equates to about 337hp at the flywheel. That's 70hp less than this Cobra dynoed at. I'm not gonna call BS on this, just cause I want it to be true, I really really doubt it, but hey, I can dream!!!!

You cannot use a flat rate for approximate loss of power at the wheels for all cars.

Here's why, the friction is directly related to the amount of force put onto the transitional surfaces within the driveline. The faster it accelerates and the more power exerted on it, the less net gain you'll have. So adding 100 crank hp will net you about 83hp at the wheels with a 5spd. The AOD is not nearly so forgiving, at 22% driveline loss you only add 78hp at the wheels per 100hp at the crank, the C4 should be around 19% loss.

If the Cobra R really dyno's at 370rwhp, it's got 450hp at the crank with the 6spd. In a stripped lightend chassis it should run 11's no problems with traction.

Let's not forget some dyno's allow for changing parameters within the software, when you do that, you wind up with a less accurate hp measuring. Like the Superflow Dyno's for Motorcyles vs the Dynojet models.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 06:43 PM   #19
Cajun
Registered Member

Ripper: That's what I've been trying to tell you, the car is UNDERRATED. I sure don't recall saying anything about "breaking it in". I got the chance Sunday to run the car, and took it. Read back, I said a few more miles on it. I have run 3 different cars on this dyno, so far, I don't find the dyno anywhere near as demanding as drag-racing the car. The ecu on a Ford product is completely programmed ("broken-in") with 20 heat and cool cycles of the automobile.
Top speed at the drag was 105 mph.
LT1Z28: I don't know how many cars you have personally dynoed or watched dynoed, but, where did you get the 18% set figure for driveline loss. How in the world can a Mustang R dyno 378 rwhp with an engine producing 385 crankshaft hp????UNDERRATED
Check out the R at the strip, I would be willing to bet that the car is much faster than the literature SVT puts out.
Read the SVT literature; Ford claims different 0-60 times, different 1/4 mile times, and different top speeds on the 99 and 01 Cobras, WHY????? I don't know what Ford did differently, but, they did something different or all numbers would be copies.
I am not trying to start any arguments. I didn't mean to step on any toes.
DT
Old 05-07-2001, 06:56 PM   #20
Cajun
Registered Member

Unit5302: You could be absoloutely correct, it could be a bad dyno number. As I stated, I have only dynoed 3 vehicles, not an expert by any means. I didn't mean to start any wars, I was only trying to get other numbers to compare to. Trying to see if these are legit numbers. I didn't realize that everyone would get so defensive. The drag times are, however, correct.
The "R" did dyno 378 rwhp and boasts 385 hp.
Thanks for your input, you lend an air of intelligence.
Thanks
DT

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: