MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-12-2005, 01:38 AM   #1
cowlinductedstang
Registered Member

Default Anybody Know where all the vin numbers are stamped on the original sheetmetal

hello i was wonderin if anybody could tell me where all to look for the vin number on my car. i got a 91 mustang lx but it has a title for an 85 at first i thought it was a real good conversion but i noticed things that nobody would of put on it,except the factory....anyway i was wantin to find out what the real vin numbers are....there are none on the door the sticker is either gone or painted over and all the body parts that have the stickers,all the stickers are gone....please help thanks all
cowlinductedstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
danistanggt
Registered Member

Default Re: Anybody Know where all the vin numbers are stamped on the original sheetmetal

should be up in the drivers side windshield. that should give you the #'s you need to find out. also i am sure one of the guys here has a book that can tell you what it is, where it was produced and the options it came with from the factory. i don't have a ford book... just a chevy. good luck.
danistanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Anybody Know where all the vin numbers are stamped on the original sheetmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by danistanggt
should be up in the drivers side windshield. that should give you the #'s you need to find out. also i am sure one of the guys here has a book that can tell you what it is, where it was produced and the options it came with from the factory. i don't have a ford book... just a chevy. good luck.
Yep, it's actually attached to the dash just behind the driver side windshield.

The 10th digit in a modern vin # tells you what year it is, reguardless of make.

# 1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)
# 2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).
# 3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.
# 4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.
# 9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.
# 10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)
# 11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.
# 12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production

Rod
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:43 AM   #4
cowlinductedstang
Registered Member

thanks for the replys but what i meant was where are the vins stamped into the frame and metal on the car from factory u know so they could identify in case the car was stolen and stripped....thats what i mean so i could get the oringinal vin instead of the one it has now for an 85 mustang.
cowlinductedstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:54 AM   #5
danistanggt
Registered Member

you can't do that. maybe the car was wrecked, and rebuilt. then it would have a rebuilt title. and i don't think they stamp the frames anymore. if the vin matched the title, then what you really have is an 85 with a different dog house or something, not a 91. and there's prolly no way to track it down since they didn't have carfax back then.. i'd be looking to the person the car was titled to last to see if the car had been wrecked. either way if your car is titled as an 85, someone told you it was a 91, it's still considered an 85, and can never be titled as a 91. sorry
danistanggt is offline   Reply With Quote