MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2001, 07:04 AM   #1
dirtyGT
Registered Member

Talking ANYONE KNOW HOW TO MOD A POWERSTROKE DIESEL?

My buddy just bought a 99dually powerstroke and he was wondering what he could do to warm it up a little i know you can buy programmers and chips but what else?And also will a strait pipe help it make more boost or will it hurt the backpressure because it sounds awsome what about a blowoff valve.Any input will help thanks

------------------
86GT-MACcatback-89heads,intake,TB,KENNYBROWNsubs,3.73's,HURST shifter,much more to come
dirtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 08:33 AM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Propane injection!
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 09:21 AM   #3
Kevin Price
Registered Member

I've only heard of a chip for those things. My buddy told me that the chips help a lot on a powerstroke. That's the direction I would take if it were mine.

------------------
SVO siamesed 351 stroked to 417ci,Yates heads, solid roller,Trans King glide and a little blue bottle
of giggle gas. My Car
Kevin Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 11:01 AM   #4
88GT5.013.02

The exhaust is a big restriction for the powerstroke. The muffler is fine, in fact they (Banks and others) say it flows better than any performance muffler out there (comparing apples to apples) and there would be no gain in getting a different muffler.

However, the down pipe from the turbo and the rest of the tubing for the exhaust is restrictive. Nothing is mandrel bent, meaning it has little ripples and dents in it which restrict flow (it is supposed to be like 3 1/2", but in some spots it is squeezed to a lot less than that). Also there is a catylitic converter on the diesel too. I don't know how restrictive they are, but its there.

The chips I heard were good and they also have trans controllers for the E40D/4R100. Get a K&N. Talk to a place like Banks and get some info. Make sure you run good fuel, cause a diesel will run like sh!t if you get bad fuel (it will run really bad!). Check you air and fuel filters frequently they have restriction gauges, but I don't trust these (kind of like dummy lights, you see the oil light its too late).

A last thing I would like to add is to remind you not to be discouraged if you do not get the fuel milage that someone else does. Why I say this is because people say they get like 24mpg pulling a 8000# trailer going like 75-80 mph (one guy actually told my buddy this and it was an enclosed trailer). Don't get me wrong I get great gas milage, I have a '97 F-350 4x4 Powerstroke, @13-15 mpg in the city and on the highway depending on how fast I go @16-20 mpg (that is not towing anything and I have 4.10 gears, also my truck is a reg cab). Nonetheless, it is a truck and it is VERY heavy. Don't expect Geo Metro like gas milage, but it will get good gas milage.

Sorry it is so long, but one last thing is I read an article I think in Truckin' mag that they got a '99 dually Powerstroke to go 15.20 in the 1/4. Anyone else with any help would be great, as I am not an expert, I just know a few people who have this stuff done and they run good (Banks power pack). Hope this helps. Post what you find out cause I am looking to do some stuff, but I don't have too much cash so let us know what works.

[This message has been edited by 88GT5.013.02 (edited 01-12-2001).]

Old 01-12-2001, 02:24 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Talking

First you should get an MSD ignition

Then splitfire plugs, and wires.

It works even better than when you do this to a quad 4!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 02:46 PM   #6
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Call Banks and ask about their powerpack for the powerstroke. My friend has one on his 99 powerstroke and the thing flat out hauls!! I wouldn't doubt that at 70 mph with my stang in 5th gear and that truck in 5th gear that the powerstroke wouldn't pull away from my car. Granted, that is mainly due to the gearing, but that truck is so much heavier than my car. I would eventually run it down and leave it behind though!
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 02:49 PM   #7
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Could I ask why? I mean honestly, its never going to be fast, and its probably going to cost you a lot.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS Heads, Edelbrock intake, E-303, 3.73's, 1 5/8 shortys, Offroad-H, 2chamber flows, 36psi FPR, 15degrees timing, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb inj, Crank pulley, MSD6A, Alum driveshaft.

On its way: Paxton Sn-89 with dyno tuning and long tubes.

Just added: B&M Ripper, Weldin Subframes, & Turn downs!
13.2@106mph
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 05:46 PM   #8
dirtyGT
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks guys but these trucks can run my buddy has a brosure that has a 99 dually running 12.5!and this is no joke i read it myself i'll find out what the name is and i'll post it.And i'll have him give banks a call

------------------
86GT-MACcatback-89heads,intake,TB,KENNYBROWNsubs,3.73's,HURST shifter,much more to come
Old 01-12-2001, 06:47 PM   #9
88GT5.013.02

Skyman

You ask why? Well the performance increases are not for 1/4 mile enhancement, but for towing reasons. I tow many heavy things very frequently, and the extra power would help. Just by getting a free flowing exhaust, which shouldn't cost too much, would be worth it. These trucks have tons of power, but why not get rid of the anemic spots (exhaust for instance) to gain a little power and quite possibly some fuel milage.
Old 01-13-2001, 08:05 AM   #10
dirtyGT
Registered Member

It is a banks ad that has the dually in there but why are some of you being so negative after all it is a ford ya know i could have asked how to mod a honda or some type of crap in that line wich i would've if i would have knowed some of you guys would be so negative

------------------
Old 01-13-2001, 11:37 AM   #11
buddha
Registered Member

Up here outside of St. Louis is a guy named McClain. He is a diesel genius. He has done work for Ford, Dodge, and even Banks. He has a shop if you ever think you'll be in the area. He did a friend of mines Powerstroke with just some tweaking under the hood, but the extra power was unreal. Nothing he does is cheap, but nobody knows how to turn up the wick better than this guy.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 10:35 AM   #12
cobrazex
Registered Member

I run a 99 Pstroke crew cab dually with the following: K&N airfilter, superchips module & 4" downpipe. Runs extremely well and mileage is no concern....If you really want it to go add another turbo, inject propane and a 5" exhaust. Oh yeah, change your automatic transmission fluid to AMSOIL snythetic.........

------------------
...1996 SALEEN s281 vert & 1998 Cobra vert
cobrazex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: