View Single Post
Old 01-12-2001, 11:01 AM   #4
88GT5.013.02

The exhaust is a big restriction for the powerstroke. The muffler is fine, in fact they (Banks and others) say it flows better than any performance muffler out there (comparing apples to apples) and there would be no gain in getting a different muffler.

However, the down pipe from the turbo and the rest of the tubing for the exhaust is restrictive. Nothing is mandrel bent, meaning it has little ripples and dents in it which restrict flow (it is supposed to be like 3 1/2", but in some spots it is squeezed to a lot less than that). Also there is a catylitic converter on the diesel too. I don't know how restrictive they are, but its there.

The chips I heard were good and they also have trans controllers for the E40D/4R100. Get a K&N. Talk to a place like Banks and get some info. Make sure you run good fuel, cause a diesel will run like sh!t if you get bad fuel (it will run really bad!). Check you air and fuel filters frequently they have restriction gauges, but I don't trust these (kind of like dummy lights, you see the oil light its too late).

A last thing I would like to add is to remind you not to be discouraged if you do not get the fuel milage that someone else does. Why I say this is because people say they get like 24mpg pulling a 8000# trailer going like 75-80 mph (one guy actually told my buddy this and it was an enclosed trailer). Don't get me wrong I get great gas milage, I have a '97 F-350 4x4 Powerstroke, @13-15 mpg in the city and on the highway depending on how fast I go @16-20 mpg (that is not towing anything and I have 4.10 gears, also my truck is a reg cab). Nonetheless, it is a truck and it is VERY heavy. Don't expect Geo Metro like gas milage, but it will get good gas milage.

Sorry it is so long, but one last thing is I read an article I think in Truckin' mag that they got a '99 dually Powerstroke to go 15.20 in the 1/4. Anyone else with any help would be great, as I am not an expert, I just know a few people who have this stuff done and they run good (Banks power pack). Hope this helps. Post what you find out cause I am looking to do some stuff, but I don't have too much cash so let us know what works.

[This message has been edited by 88GT5.013.02 (edited 01-12-2001).]