MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-11-2001, 11:58 PM   #1
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Default Anyone a play pool?

Does anyone play pool? If so what kind of pool cue do you suggest? I'm pretty good, but I want to be better. Are there any web sites or anything that have some tips? Thanks, Justin.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 01:45 AM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I shoot pool. Use to do it religouisly. And WAS very good at it. I know everyone says they were/are good at billards, but I actually was.

I have 2, two piece J&J pool cue's. There a good quality cue, and I like the balance of them. The tip of my first J&J split, I still have to get it fixed (Dont get those stupid Plastic Tips) My other J&J cue has a Mustang motiff on it. Its got the running horse "Mustang", and Powered by Ford on it.

Its not one of the ones you see in the FORD catalog, although those sticks arent all that bad either. Once you get good enough, you can shoot with any stick, as long as the tip doesnt suck.

The only tip I can give is Practice, Practice, Practice. I havent played for 2 1/2 years, I probably suck now.

Well one tip, dont grab the cue with a Death grip while shooting. Keep your arm loose. For the best control, I hold the cue one hand width back from the balance point. Swing the shoot like a pendulum using your forearm and elbow, not your whole shoulder and back.

Dont just shoot on the fly, set up your shoots. Make a plan, consider what you'll shoot for when you sink the current one. Dont go on the fly.

Learn "English". If you dont already know it, having control of where the cue ball goes after the shoot helps set you up for easier shoots.

Well thats all I can really "Say". Its easier to give tips concerning billiards in person.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.

Last edited by Mercury; 12-12-2001 at 01:53 AM..
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 02:58 AM   #3
PKRWUD

I'll play either one of you.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 03:11 AM   #4
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Ahhh...A challenge. To bad you live on the other side of the country. Well maybe its a good thing for you.

I'd need to brush up and practice anyway. It would probably take a few times to get my game back on track. Pool use to be one of my main hobbies, then my ex-girlfriend (Girlfriend at the time) quit her job so we could "Spend Quality Time" together. There went my years of playing billards.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Old 12-12-2001, 07:09 AM   #5
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

And the most important tip of all. Follow through. Don't jab at the cue ball. Stroke it.

Don't use a stick that is too heavy. Heavy sticks are fine for breaking, but the lighter sticks will let you "feel" your shot more.

If you want to get good at pool try playing Snooker! The smaller pockets and bigger tables will really sharpen your aim. Try it sometime. Play on a Snooker table for a couple hours then go play on a bar table. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

As for my choice of cues: Meucci has always been one of my favorites. Especially the "Sneaky Pete". It's the $135 cue at the far left in the pic on this page (part# 9701): http://www.billiard-zone.com/meucci_cues_4.htm

They look just like a house cue which is what I like most about them, and they are very nice sticks for the money.

It's good to have a nice stick to learn on but I can play just as well with my Meucci as I can a house cue. It's all about finding a cue with the right tip, or at least having your trusty tip shaper in your pocket.

Good luck.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 11:13 AM   #6
mustangdani55
Registered Member

Default pool cues

hey go back up to he last entry and click on to that.. BUY A MEUCCI.. they are without a doubt among the top ques in the field....and btw..i used to carry the name Lady Giant Killer in houston whrn i played 9 ball and made alot of money shooting pool...besides..guys love to watch a girl bend over the table!
mustangdani55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 11:26 AM   #7
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Thanks everyone. I just want MY own pool stick, because most of the house ones are bent or warped, and they aren't straight, and don't get me started on their tips, lol. But thanks again.

I don't know how that "a" got in my topic either? Oh well......
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 11:52 AM   #8
DRASTiK
Registered Member

I've got a 4 pt meucci with a predator shaft. That's the best combo for me, but I've owned a few meucci's (the best mass produced cue available), a falcon, a maximum (made by same company as meucci), a player, a balabushka, and a few sneek-e-pete cues too. I used to do three things, work, play pool, and work on my car. That was all I ever did. I haven't even taken the stick out of the case but maybe twice in the last 2 years though. If you want a good one, then go meucci. The cheapest meucci I owned costed right at $200. The one I have now....... well let's just say I paid a hell of a lot of cash for a stick.
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 12:19 PM   #9
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

My J&J's suit me fine, and I only spent 30 dollars on the one and 60 dollars on the other. The shaft on my first stick has stayed true throught the years, the damn tip just split.

I havent played much with my Mustang cue.

I prefer my cue's to be alittle on the heavier side, seems to help me keep my arm straight in the shoot.

Damn, Now you all got me wanting to pull my cue's out and go shoot some pool.