MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-25-2002, 05:39 PM   #1
PKRWUD

Default Anyone w/ a Digital Camcorder?

It seems that digital camcorders were popular gifts this year, and since I plan on buying one in the next couple weeks, I wanted to get some feedback and suggestions. If you wouldn't mind, let me know what you like and dislike about the one you've got (honesty counts!), the brand, and it's model number.

My only requirements are that it is digital, and that it has FireWire access (life's too short for USB).

Thanks!
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 06:07 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

Hey Chris, I just got a Digital Video Camera for christmas this year.. I lov it so far. Its a Sony ( only video equipment ever made IMO ) We talked to several peopel before we bought this one, seems to be Sony is the only thing going as far as digital cameras. Mines a DCR-TRV140, has the 2.5 color lcd monitor on the side. Is firewire compatible. I'll get you the nmber and brand of my firewire this evening . I know yours will have to be MAC and not pc but my Card with Firewire cable made onto it was $50 bucks. Camera was $499 with $50 instant rebate. Came with Free tripod and carrying case from Circuit City. I Know its new to me but we researched it and I am totally happy with thsi purchase.

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 06:41 PM   #3
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

I have had a Sony TVR-11 Mini DV® for a couple of years. It takes decent stills too. Sony's have a good Carl Zeiss glass lens, not plastic. Main reason I like Sony is their batteries. The standard battery runs about 2 hours. The big one they sell, runs several hours. Plus, you can get all kinds of accessories for the Sony on eBay at bargain prices, unlike other makes.

If you decide to buy on-line, be careful you don't get a "Gray Market" product.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 11:01 PM   #4
LxMustangRacer
Registered Member

My brother just picked up a Sony TRV-340 a few weeks ago for $540 shipped. It's the older model, and uses Digital-8 tapes instead of Mini-DV, but the quality's good. It has most if not all of the features you would ever use, and also has a better optical zoom than the newer models(25x compared to 10x for the mini-dv cameras). I wouldn't bother looking at which has better stills, as any $50 digital camera is going to take better pics than whatever tech the camcorder has. It might be nice to have, but is not something I use myself. I really wish the lcd was better, I can still see individual pixels even while holding it a foot or two away from my head. The viewfinder is clear though. We had also looked at the Panasonic 601(can't remember the exact model) but dedided against it either because of features or ccd quality. It might fit what you're looking for though.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:37 PM   #5
rbatson2
Registered Member

Hopefully before the end of January, I'll have a little clip with my car using this JVC unit I have(mini dv). I would rather have the sony unit but I got a deal on this one... btw, not all sony's have the Carl Zeiss lens, just the higher end units(not cheap).
rbatson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 03:22 AM   #6
HotRoddin
cranky old man

I've had a DCR-TRV240 for about 3 or 4 months now .. its a digital 8 (records a digital signal on a high end hi 8 tape ... they are cheaper than the mini digital cassettes and the quality is fantastic ... i'm still trying to figure out half the bells and whistles on the thing ... has digital special effects ... complete manual overide for most of the auto functions if you chose to use it, just tons of features. I got the Pinnicle editing software to go with it (its firewire) and it works great !! Would work even better if i didn't have such an antique itsy bitsy hard drive. I looked into quite a few and this camera left all i looked at in the dust, especially in the features dept.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 08:08 PM   #7
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Arrow They got one

I dont have one, but 347 and Crewzin have one...they use it all the time when we do stuff together...You might try asking them about thiers and how they like it....not sure, they might have had some problems with it in the past???
TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 09:18 PM   #8
Mustanguy

Cool

I've had a Sony digital camcorder for 6 years now with no problems.Mine uses the 8mm tapes,which are superior in video and audio playback,so keep that in mind when your lookin for your own. Also,look for one that has image stablization,helps you take more steady shots