MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-18-2001, 09:46 PM   #1
jz_mustang50
Registered Member

Exclamation AOD Shift 1st, 3rd, 4th...Hello... 2nd?!?

I have a 91 Mustang GT w/ an AOD Trans. The gear selector by the shifter says 1, D, (o) (overdrive) (THE USUAL... how they all are). Ok... When I'm at the drag strip I hold it down into "1" and shift up into "D" for 2nd. If I leave the gear selector in D for more then about 1 second going down the track the trans shifts into 3 (too early for the track). I found a "work around" for the problem. When I shift from 1-2 I quickly move the gear selector back down into the "1" position (after I feel it shift into 2nd) and the transmission stays in 2nd until I get to the RPM I shift at) and then I shift into "D" and leave it there until i hit the end. Is there a shifter out there so I can just shift 1-2-3 not 1-2-1-3??? A ratchet would be the best. Any suggesting would be great! I just hope this isn't designed into the AOD so it will always be like this. I'm sticking with the AOD so don't tell me to get a stick to do some real shiftin' :-)

------------------
Joe Zemaitis
Grand Rapids Michigan
jz_mustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 10:01 PM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Sorry man its built into the trans. But lentech sells a valve body that make it go 1-2-3 and you flip a switch for over-drive.

------------------
THE SLO PONY
1992 Ford Mustand LX. 2.3 liter four-banger, auto. Future mods: V-8 swap. Fly it loud, Fly it proud!!!

If it ain't broke, you ain't tryin hard enough
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 11:30 PM   #3
rbatson

Yes, that's the way the AOD is, you must be new to this.. I had the lentech valve body installed on my car about a month ago and I absolutely love it! I can hold all gears to any rpm. I have a switch for od which I almost never use, it will be good on the highway though.. although I doubt the car will see much hwy time now. Get yourself a stall convertor and the lentech valve body and you will definitely be amazed. But it comes at a cost, be prepared to spend about $550 for the valve body and anywhere from $250-700 for the stall(ofcourse I have the most expensive stall). If you don't see alot of hwy miles then I suggest you get a c4, it will be about the same money as the stall and valve body for the aod.. but you lose od.

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 7/20/2001)
Sold

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: