MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-29-2000, 11:51 AM   #1
cleangreenmachine

Post Attn: apartment dwellers (a little long)

Okay, this isn't specifically related to Mustangs, but I have a question for you.

I live in an apartment and love to tinker with my car. Sometimes these two things don't mix well. It doesn't get very cold in CA, so working outside isn't a problem. But I have to work in the street because my lease expressly forbids car maintenance in the parking lot. I can't keep my tools out in the street (obviously) or do any kind of work that would leave my car open to the elements, vandals, or thieves. I also can't leave the car up on stands for any length of time (eyesore = angry neighbors).

Some time down the road here, I would like to buy a second vehicle (maybe a truck) to do my daily driving and save the LX for heavy modding and pleasure cruises. The only options I can think of are using the garage at friend's parent's house (not practical for the long term), moving to a more wealthy area of my town where the apartments have garages (not practical now or in the forseeable future), or renting a self-storage area (expensive as heck).

Have any of you guys been in a similar situation? How did you deal with it? I know there's got to be some college students and other people without garages in this forum.

If any of you have read Stephen King's "Christine", there's mention of a facility where people can rent garage space by the hour, day, etc. But I get the impression that these are a thing of the past.

Thoughts, anyone?

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible
Old 12-29-2000, 01:30 PM   #2
tom351

I have heard of those types of places, but never seen one. Would it be that expensive to rent self-storage only when you are gonna do something that takes a few days?

------------------
67 Fastback - Arctic White Pearl paint
351W 415 hp, Trick Flow Alum. Heads, C-4 Trans, 3.55 gears, Front Disc Brakes, 1-1/8" Fr. 3/4" rear sway bars.

Old 12-29-2000, 02:56 PM   #3
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

I used to work at a self storage place and we rented out spaces out side but still safely in the fense for dirt cheap. We also pro-rated out units. So if you save alll the mods for a while, rent a unit, use it for a couple of days and then moove out. They should pro-rate you out and give you money back. Light Em Up!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 03:06 PM   #4
cleangreenmachine

Well, most self-storage places I've dealt with rent by the month. So I could save the head and cam swaps to do all at once and rent for a month or so. That wouldn't be too bad money-wise. Also it would be cool to find a storgae place that prorated the rent, as NoSlow said.

But once I get a second vehicle I am looking more at consistent storage for the LX. The more mods I do, the less appealing it is to keep the car on the street.

I'm kicking around the idea of renting a garage from a private homeowner who isn't using theirs. But I have some reservations about the security of my tools and car...

Anyway, thanks for you thoughts so far and keep the ideas comin'.

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible

[This message has been edited by cleangreenmachine (edited 12-29-2000).]
Old 12-29-2000, 03:19 PM   #5
FivepointOH
Registered Member

I have the same problem(at college and live in an apartment that the lease prohibits working on the car in the apartment complex). I even payed to have my oil changed!(Since then I've seen 2 people changing their oil in my complex and nothing happened to them so next time I'm doing it my damn self.)

If I absolutely need to work on my car I have to drive back home to my parents, if you where going to do the rent out garage space option I would just try and find a realtive or at least a friend to keep it at. I wouldn't trust a stranger with my stuff even if you're paying them.

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 04:39 PM   #6
Five0
Registered Member

The apartments I used to live in had the same policy (no working on cars in the parking lot) but I did it any way and no one ever said anything. That is where I did all the mods to my car with the exception of the things that had to be welded in. I kept it looking very clean and not a lot of parts lying around and never left it on jack stands. If it doesn't look like it is being worked on when you are not there maybe they will not say anything.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
Best 1/8 time on motor 7.686 @90.20mph
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 05:47 PM   #7
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Thumbs down

I do my work at my parent's house, but now I'm leaving my car there for the winter as I don't trust keeping my car at an apartment building because of thieves (my car was broken into twice last year at different apartment buildings). After this semester a t school I'll never live in an apartment building again!

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B+M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 07:51 PM   #8
88gt150k
Registered Member

i live in indiana, this post already makes me wonder about moving back to cali. and not having a garage anymore. i know i couldnt afford a house out there. the naval base in long beach had a kick azz garage and all the tools you could want. join the naval reserve
and youll get your car a permanent home. thats pretty extreme though haaa

------------------
88gt gt40 irons mill/port, ported up/low efi,mac longs,1.6 rrs, crane fpr,fms a/c elim,dynomax s.t.,190lph,weld rims, bfg drs,3.73s, parts in limbo 24# inj and compcam .533 lift, 73 c&l mass
82gt 351w in limbo
89 4 cyl notch in limbo
88gt150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 03:11 PM   #9
S Howard
Registered Member

My first four years were in the Navy and they did have a kick a$$ auto hobby shop. Tools, lifts, parts etc.. Know anyone who is in?? Additionally, the shop permitted short/long term storage at ridiculously low rates.
S Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 08:46 PM   #10
91Saleen
Registered Member

I used to just take it to my parents, but now that I'm stationed in Cali, I can't. But, I keep all my tools and my tool box in my apartment. It was a pain taking it up the stairs but I wouldn't trust anybody else with my tools or car. I usually work on mine at my friends parents house. I found that's about the best way to do it if they live in a good neighborhood and will watch your car for you. it gets old though relying on other people, so I'm getting a house this spring.
91Saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 11:08 AM   #11
cleangreenmachine

Yeah...for me, the problems with relying on other people were illustrated to this weekend. I had a problem following a tune-up I did (you may have read my post in Windsor Power), and my car sat at my friend's parents' house for three days while we poked and prodded at it. They were cool about the situation, but my conscience gets the better of me and I felt guilty the whole time the car was stuck over there.

I just read some more of the posts and you guys in the service have it made! Fully stocked garage space!?! Bet there's a lot of nice machines coming out aroud leave time...

Anyway, we're looking into a rental house or duplex with garage space once my lease is up in March. Guess I'll just make do until then.

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible