MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2001, 08:26 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post Cooling a 351..electric vs. mechanical......what the best product?

I'm using a Black Majic electric fan that is 15in. with no shroud. This fan is not getting the job done on my motor. I am using a reverse rotation serpentine system and would like to know 1) If I need a reverse rotation specific fan and if so what size and 2) What product would you select for a high peformance yet streetable 393? Thanks.

------------------
Finally DONE!!
93 GT, 393 stroker w/ Edlebrock Performer heads and EFI, 30lb injectors, Dynamic Roller Mite C4, 8 pt cage, Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's, '69 351W block w/SCAT crank.
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 11:20 PM   #2
juiceman
Registered Member

assuming you are using the good black magic fan( the 250$ one for the mustang) you should not have any problem with it. it moves alot of air and we use them in all our cars. my motor has 14:1 comp. and its a 400 stroker. it stays at 190. the problem may be elsewhere. are you using pulleys, do you have any drive acc. and did you get the right water pump? there are 2 different pumps. standard and rev. rotation. i hope you get it fixed. i see you have alot of posts regarding temp.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 07:48 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Are you using the small 15 in. electric Black Majic fan or the mechanical water pump mounted one? I have a 15 in. electric one that I recently found out is rated for UNDER 350 HP. I paid 190.00 for it from Summit. I don't think we are using the same one.
Old 08-06-2001, 04:10 PM   #4
juiceman
Registered Member

pn 175 is the one youre using and the one im taltking about. 2800 cfm's of air is good . ive never had a problem with them on my cars. like i said, there are other variables though. if youre using a pulley set then your temp will rise a little. if you have serpentine belts and you put the belt on the wrong side of the pulley it will run 20 hotter. if timing is high it will be hotter. i would try checking everything else first since it is free and easy. changing the fan may not help.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 07:07 PM   #5
BilLster
Registered Member

put the shroud back on it helps draw the air through . I thought the shroud was part of the black magic fan ?
BilLster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 06:30 AM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

It does have a shroud but it is no where near the size and shape of the original shroud. I've lookd back through 10 issues of MM&FF and 5.0 Mustang and only once did I see a 351W in a fox-body 5.0 without a shroud. And it was a drag car with an electric water pump.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:26 AM   #7
Tony91LX
Registered Member

I am running a 351 with the same black magic fan, an Edelbrock water pump and Fluidyne radiator and 180 T'Stat.

I have not been driving it that much yet but had it up to temp and it holds around 180.

Next mod is a T trim!!! ( This Month )

Where did you buy your cowl hood, I am looking for some place local (MA, CT) to pick one up.
Tony91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 09:47 AM   #8
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I got my hood from A.G.E. Classic design. Real good people. Not one problem from the product. They are not very close though. Pick up an issue of Muscle Mustangs and fast Fords and flip through the ads. I think there is a place in Conn. that sells hood real chep.

What year block do you have and are you running a reverse rotation pump?
Old 08-07-2001, 09:51 AM   #9
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I got my hood from A.G.E. Classic design. Real good people. Not one problem from the product. They are not very close though. Pick up an issue of Muscle Mustangs and fast Fords and flip through the ads. I think there is a place in Conn. that sells hood real chep.

What year block do you have and are you running a reverse rotation pump? Also, do you have the Black Maji electric fan and what type of thermo (brand name) are you using?
Old 08-07-2001, 10:19 AM   #10
Tony91LX
Registered Member

I am running same Black Magic Fan (PN175)
My motor is out of a 94-95 Lighting

I used the timing chain cover and water pump from my 5.0, I still have the TC and WP from the lighting.

I don't know what brand T'stat (autozone?)

Where in MA do you live?

Old 08-07-2001, 11:30 AM   #11
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I've heard that the Autozone thermostat is the best one besides the OEM. I live in Pittsfield which is over the mountain from Lebanon Valley Dragstrip, about 45 min. from Albany NY. I have an older block, a '69 to be exact. The water pump that originally came with my block had the pass. side outlet to the rad. The ones we use have the outlet on the driver's side. It doesn't sound like the problem to me but since you are using the same fan as me, I'm beginning to think that it's either the thermo. or the water pump.
Old 08-07-2001, 03:40 PM   #12
Tony91LX
Registered Member

We go up to the Valley all the time,I think we are planing a trip some time late Aug. for a test and tune on a sat.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:01 PM   #13
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

This Sat. is FordDay. That's why I'm stressing to get this car done. That and because I've been working on it for months. You should try to make it. Lot's of Pro 5.0 type stangs there. Real nice meet.
Old 08-09-2001, 07:42 PM   #14
79Stang
The Stang Gang

I'm not a 'fan' of the BlackMagic.. I had one melt down on me one time, and I have held a grudge against them. Lots of people have good luck with them, but I like running it off the water pump if your a daily driver.. No worries about shorts or bad grounds...

I too have no shroud, (to cheap for a $100 '79 replacement) my car runs hotter then I would like 190° - I have to put my car in neutral at a light to help air it out.. I have a stock radiator, and a piece of crap FLEX fan...

If you put a shroud on it, I think you will be okay - if not get that Lincoln Mark fan everyone uses - Thats a nice factory part that draw a lot of air.. I think Texas Mustang sells it....

Good luck!
79Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 12:07 PM   #15
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

The Black Majic electric fan is garbage. I got ripped off and I'm calling them to let them know. I guess it's only rated at 325HP and they naver stated that anywhere in the ads. The 18 1/4" Flex-Fan reverse rotation and the shroud works great. It's awesome not to have to worry about overheated engine and blown head gaskets. My temp. gauge never once got over 195. This is great! It WORKS!! All I need to do know is fix the fuel leak coming from the driver's side rail and my power steering pump is leaking bad. Thanks gentlemen.