MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Default Back

So what have I missed in here? I have been gone for a very long time, but still have this site in my heart for that it was my first forum. I still have mustangworks t-shirts,. and still wear them :P
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:57 AM   #2
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Default Re: Back

btw, is the owner of the site, Dan i think it was still around?
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
Old 07-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Re: Back

Welcome back!

Dan McClain is still around and - as a bow to his skydiving hobby - now uses the screen name: SKYFLYER.
He doesn't post much.

As far as I know, Dan still owns his '91 Mustang track car.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Ah, I see u still post here too.

how have u been?
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
Old 07-30-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
StangFlyer
Founder

SkyFlyer? Who the heck is that?! LOL Actually, my handle StangFlyer is a merge of the Mustang hobby and skydiving hobby together.

Man, I'm still here. And, do post... some... but, mostly watch over things and keep them running smoothly. That's cool you still have your MW shirts!
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

well now u gota got get in a stang and launch it to fit ur name-lol

and yea, still have the same 2 shirts i bought from u a while ago :P
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
Old 08-03-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
Mr 5 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman65_79

Ah, I see u still post here too.

how have u been?
Good, thanks.

Lots of changes have occured in my life over the past few years, as happens to all of us, whether we like it or not. My available time to spend on the internet has shrunk so I don't post here half as much as I used to, but I do 'lurk' and will post when I think I can add to a thread in some manner. MW is still a great Mustang site.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
Mr 5 0

Thumbs up Re: Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFlyer
SkyFlyer? Who the heck is that?! LOL Actually, my handle StangFlyer is a merge of the Mustang hobby and skydiving hobby together.
Whoops. In my haste to respond, I mis-typed your new screen name: StangFlyer. Sorry.

Quote:
Man, I'm still here. And, do post... some... but, mostly watch over things and keep them running smoothly. That's cool you still have your MW shirts!
So do I. They are getting a bit dingy, though. Oh well.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
StangFlyer
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 5 0
Whoops. In my haste to respond, I mis-typed your new screen name: StangFlyer. Sorry.
LOL... I was just teasing ya Jim... you didn't have to apologize!

How's that Stang these days? Still running?
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
Mr 5 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFlyer

How's that Stang these days? Still running?
I sold it in May of 2005. I'm a former Mustang owner, now. Sort of a 'Mustanger Emritus'.

My beloved '90 5.0 hatchback (that I ordered and bought brand-new in February, 1990 for $13,600.) was a full 15 years old and had 125,000 miles on it - with a lot of factory-original parts still functioning, such as the starter and alternator. Original head gaskets, too. It held up well. Yet I felt it was time to sell it before something major needed replacing (like head gaskets or the infamous heater core). I had upgraded many parts and made the Mustang better (3.55 pinion gears, 'Pro 5.0' shifter, subframe connectors, etc) and had certainly gotten a lot of driving enjoyment out of the car. It ran beautifully, too.

Unfortunately, time, northeastern weather and the fact that I never had a garage for it all took their inevitable toll. Although the Mustang was never hit or flooded, the Strawberry Red (metallic) paint was faded, along with the red cloth interior. The lower body had developed a few minor rust spots, too, which I knew had to be fixed, pronto, to avoid a spread of the rust 'cancer'. With 125k on the clock (honest, original mileage) I knew the 5.0 could use a rebuild if I intended to push it much in the future. I was faced with pouring money into the old 'Stang - or selling it. I opted to sell it. Here's why:

I finally had to face the reality that I hardly ever drove my 'Stang anymore. Mainly because it just wasn't very practical and I didn't want to put 'unnecessary' miles on an already-high mileage vehicle. Gas costs, even back in 2005, were also an inhibiting factor to my ability to enjoy the car, along with the high annual insurance rates that I was tired of paying. The fact was that I was keeping the 5.0 more as a possession than a car I actually used. I'm not all that affluent and keeping a car that I almost never drove just seemed selfish - and futile. What was the point? Nostalgia? Not reason enough, I'm afraid. So, I reluctantly decided to sell it.

I advertised the 'Stang in the statewide 'Bargain News'. As a result of their online ad that came out about 5 days prior to the print ad, I immediately began receiving inquiry calls.

The first call was from the father of a 16-year-old (from out of state) who I firmly discouraged, due to the Mustang's power and his sons lack of driving experience. I also (selfishly) didn't want my carefully cared-for 'vintage' Mustang wrapped around a tree within a week of it being sold. The father of the teenager saw my point. I'm sure his kid still curses me. (I coulda had a 5.0...but noooooo!)

The second caller turned out to be a very convincing no-show, the bane of folks trying to sell a car. He talked a good game - but ultimately just wasted my time. It's all part of selling a car - any car.

The third caller was a friendly-sounding guy living about 40 miles away from me, presumably in his 30's, who once owned a (late '80's) 5.0 Mustang, but sold it due to high gas and insurance costs - and always regretted it as he "loved that car". A very familiar story, is it not? He impressed me by arriving at my home on schedule, with his pleasant, attractive wife and (surprisingly) well-behaved young son, driving an immaculate '94 Taurus SHO. He was obviously a 'car guy'. He said that he owned a small trucking company (his wife worked in the business).They were both very impressed that I supplied them with the original purchase papers for the Mustang, the original Owners Manual - and - a detailed 15-year maintenance log. He loved that log. I also supplied a CarFax report proving my 15-year ownership - and no accidents. I could tell - within minutes - that I had a sale.

We took a brief ride and he drove it fairly easy, no hard acceleration at all, which surprised me. Back at the house, where my patient wife was entertaining his wife and son, we haggled over the price, of course. He finally pulled out 30 $100. bills and we shook hands on the deal. I signed over the registration and allowed him to drive it back to his home with my plates, which he promptly mailed back to me. Nice guy. I'm satisfied that my '90 Mustang now has a good home. This guy appreciated it and has the money to do whatever it takes to bring the old 'Stang up to par, as it were. It's pretty likely that the Mustang will not be abused. Best of all, we were both happy with the deal. His wife even sent us a 'Thank-You' card a week after the sale. Now, that's class.

I used the $3,000. sale price as a down payment on a very practical (if not very exciting) then-new 2005 Honda Civic EX 'Special Edition' sedan. It's dependable, well-made and exceptionally good on gas (now appreciated more than ever). I already have equity in the car -after only 15 months of ownership. Life is good.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

u realize that here soonur going to be that guy, and buy another fox.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am