MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2002, 09:00 PM   #1
apenn

Default Diablo vs SuperChip Computer - Need Input

Just back from the shop from having my SuperChip replaced with a Diablo (neither was custom tuned, however I will be getting the new chip custom tuned soon). Here's my opinion and very recent experience with the two. I had the SuperChip installed when I had the Vortech Supercharger done so naturally there was a huge difference in power. However under normal driving the car completely felt stock, driveability was the same, idle the same, gas mileage actually the same and no detonation unless I put something other than Texaco premium in the car, and then only a very little bit of ping on rare occassion. Because of the SC I can't tell you the difference between stock chip and SuperChip. Now I just replaced my SuperChip with a Diablo, I also had a Lightning Mass Air Sensor and Anderson PowerPipe installed. A noticeable difference between the two. As a general statement the Diablo is a much more agressive chip. By this I mean the car now has a lumpier idle, it "chugs" and "spits" and "fights" (gee I guess like the pony it is) under moderate or light accelleration, however the car is more responsive (possible do to the PowerPipe also?), and under wide open throttle the car is definitely faster (at least according to the butt dyno). Also my car had less than 1/4 tank of Shell gas in it, which with the SuperChip it would detonate very little with, but once the Diable was installed it detonated more than I had ever heard before. Once I filled the car up with Texaco the detonation completely went away. The car just seems high strung with the Diablo, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just now under all driving conditions I know I'm driving a very high performance car, where as with the SuperChip as long as I kept my foot out of it the car felt completely stock. Also, my check engine light came on with the Diablo Chip (never did this with any of the other mods done to the car), however the reading for it said it had something to do with the A/C, which I'm told should have nothing to do with the Diablo (interesting coincidence though). I've got a thousand miles left on the warranty, I'm very curious to see what Ford says tomorrow about this. Anyone else agree, or disagree with anything I've mentioned? Others please give their input because I'm not quite sure if I want to keep the Diablo or not, I think I do, I just have to drive with it more than a day, and see what Ford says about the check engine light. Also, I'll be off to the track on Saturday so I'll really see if these mods made a difference. Thanks for taking the time to read this novel.