MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-14-2001, 05:40 PM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Exclamation Day at the track - Good news and bad news

Well, the good news is my car broke into the 13's. After my mods the best ET was 13.730 (car was driven by fiveohpatrol) so I guess that's pretty good with the stock gears. The bad news is now my tranny is sounding like it's on the way out. What next

It's making a whining noise which is getting louder and my throwout bearing is about toast.

What would be causing the tranny to whine in every gear except 4th?

------------------
ICQ# 42269241
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 06:45 PM   #2
toms89
Registered Member

Well.....i can tell you there is not really any gears for 4th... a slider just engages the input shaft to the output shaft. (4th gear is 1 to 1 ratio) All other gears must go thru the cluster gear. Maybe bearings are bad on cluster gear.....really don't know though just a guess.
Tom
toms89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 09:08 AM   #3
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Well sorry to hear your tranny is about gone but Good Job breacking into the 13's with 3.08s. It sounds like your head bearing is about ready to go, this is on the imput shaft. That front bearing starves for fluid by bad design. That is the same thing that happened to mine Kev, but mine expolded and took out the imput shaft. I bought the rebuild kit from D&D $149.00 and a new imput shaft for $99, now Don Jr. didn't reccomend putting in a new imput shaft with a old cluster gear, the gear is $180. I rebuild it 4 years ago with a new shaft after I broke 3 teeth off power shifting. THe tranny ran fine and I never had a problem till now. It took a lot of miles and abuse these last couple years so take it apart and look at the gears if the gears look good and are in tolerance I would just rebuild it.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 11:42 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Actually, according to the number on the door I have 2.73's. I was hoping for a little lower 13 sec times, but I guess with all the tire spinning I did all day getting the car there at all was good. I wish the tranny would have held up so I could make a few runs to see if I could actually get her into the 13's, but I guess there's always May. We have the track rented again and will be having a little private session for all our close friends.

------------------
ICQ# 42269241
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 08:40 PM   #5
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Quote:
Originally posted by 2FastLX:
Actually, according to the number on the door I have 2.73's. I was hoping for a little lower 13 sec times, but I guess with all the tire spinning I did all day getting the car there at all was good. I wish the tranny would have held up so I could make a few runs to see if I could actually get her into the 13's, but I guess there's always May. We have the track rented again and will be having a little private session for all our close friends.

Well with 2.73's you did good , that 2.3 60 ft wasn't helping either. I went 12.6 @ 108 on a 2.48 60ft though, but I have a lot more power. My car hits the tires really hard on launch I hope all the work I have done pays off this year..in a couple weeks I'll know. I would say get 4:10's instead of 3:73 if you didn't have them already, I think they will work better for you in the long run. What suspension work do you have?

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote