MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-27-2001, 01:16 AM   #1
withamc
Registered Member

Post Bad Wrench! Bad, Bad Wrench!

I was under the 'stang just finishing up tightening up the bolts from the cat-back to the h-pipe. You know, the ones that I can never seem to get a decent grip on with a wrench. Well, I'm going for one last crank on the wrench when the one in my left hand slips off the nut and drops right on my forehead. SOB, that hurt! Well, my wife heard me and comes out to the garage just as I'm rolling out from under the car, blood is spurting off my forehead. (Note to wife: next time I get out from under the car spurting large amounts of blood, don't freeze - DO SOMETHING!) Evening in the E.R. takes the place of dinner and a movie. Ended up with a 3/4" long gash (11/16" diameter) just above the left eye. Also found out they're using Super Glue in place of stitches these days. Could've done that myself and saved about $250 and 2 hours. Still had to finish the car so I could move it and close the garage. Ended up eating pizza and renting "The Mexican". Would have been better without Julia Roberts.
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 01:43 AM   #2
Power
Registered Member

Ouch, sounds like a hurtful evening.

I'll add my injury and share in your pain. I was changing out my exaust on my own about 2 months back and was cutting off the ends with a hacksaw cause they wouldn't fit over the axle without a lift. Got through one and was almost done with the second when the hacksaw blade jumped from its "track" and bit me on the left hand in the soft webbing between your thumb and first finger. Left a nice 1/2" or so gash that bled like crazy. I didn't go to the ER even though I should have because the sucker wouldn't stay closed to heal because of its position. Its finally healing up now, give it time and yours will too...........good scar to build a story on too.....
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 06:41 PM   #3
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

LMAO... ouch
Last week I was working on changing the stabilizer bar end links out of the Olds, and they were rusted on there so I was using the end of the floor jack handle for some leverage on the bolt. I was pulling toward me (duh) and the ratchet slipped off the bolt and I whaked myself real hard right in the temple which knocked myself out. About 10 mins later I woke up! LOL, made me even more mad! I only wound up with a splitting headache for a day or so!
I would have used the air tools, but the air ratchet isn't working.. grrrrr
I don't know how many times I've dropped wrenches on my forehead... OUCH

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph

[This message has been edited by JL1314 (edited 08-27-2001).]
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 06:51 PM   #4
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

i got a nice gash from my wrist to the base of my thumb.....this is not as a result to a car repair peroblem
i was intoxicated and trying to climb a fence when my cousin decided i wasn't goin over fast enough so he shoved me off the top(8ft)
huge gash on hand sprained ankle which i couldn't walk properly for over 3 weeks
and a inch long piece of wood from fallin in a ditch.........
man u gotta love canadian club whiskey=)
i performed surgery on my own knee

JAMES

------------------
Black 1990 gt cobra bonestock
not for long
RAGE_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 01:11 AM   #5
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

That sucks! Ive heard about the super glue.

I couldnt stand her in that movie.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
332RWHP, 350rwtq
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:55 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Smile

Heh, heh. withamc I feel your pain, man. It's like when I've been under my car trying to get a near impossible bolt (the kind you can only turn a few cm each turn, your hand starts cramping up, your neck hurts, it's getting hot outside, are mosquitoes feasting on you, gnats are buzzing around you and landing on you ear ....

But just the way you told the story, I had to LOL. Sorry.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 08:14 PM   #7
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

You need to wear a street bike helmet from now on when you work on your car! =P

------------------
1989 GT, 3:55's, full exhaust, 4 in. hood, Pro 5.0, All parts for sale now.

2000 Camaro SS-A4 =P

1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383(500+hp on motor), trick flow heads, trick flow pistons, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.H.S. 5 harnesses, Fuel cell, convo pro wheels, 15x14's with 29x18.5 M/T'S on back, 15x4's on front, nitrous, and so much more!

http://www.geocities.com/i8urvpr/JM.html
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 11:37 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Exclamation

Yeah, well, I may have that beat...

It was a couple years ago, you know, one of the 6 consecutive years without medical coverage for myself. I was workin on drum brakes. As usual, lot's of profanity. I was attempting to install one of the springs. Having very little luck, with of all the tools, a needle nose. I didn't have room for the other stuff, appearently? I don't remember quite why I was being stupid.

Anyway, as I'm heave-ho on this damn spring, you guessed it, the needle nose slips off. I know what you are thinking. It wacks me in the head, or stabs me in the arm or face. Well the latter, kinda.

I stabbed myself in the eye. Yeah... that REALLY sucked *** . About 2-3 sec later, I was totally blind in one eye. Of course panicked, and well on the way to setting a profanity record, I yell at my dad, who attempts to tell me to go to the hospital. I instead elect not to be charged 1000's of dollars and go downstairs to the sink. I can see I have a film of blood over my eye, so I rinse with water for a few seconds, stinging like hell, but suddenly, I CAN SEE AGAIN!! I got myself in the white of the eye, must have rolled my eye's instinctively? Who knows, but it took a few minutes to where I could see without it clouding up for me. For a couple days after, if I went to look at the injury spot, had to roll eye and pull eyelid a little, it would start to bleed again. That was probably the most scared I've ever been in my life, actually.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 01:38 AM   #9
withamc
Registered Member

It's getting to the point where a bunch of the guys at work are stopping by my office on Mondays to see what the latest weekend injury is. The good news is the glue is off and the blood is gone - it's gonna scar though. It'll match the one over the other eye But I just bought a welder - I wonder what kinda damage I can do now!
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 02:50 AM   #10
84_GT350
Registered Member

A hood fell on my head once. Here's how:

As anyone who lives in Kansas knows it gets VERY windy in the spring. I was helping my brother pull and change the plugs in his old car one day when it was really windy. My bro goes to grab another wrench and I'm still wrenching away when this heavy gust of wind comes and lifts the hood up far enough to pull it off the prop. So then the prop fell and I started pulling my head back but it caught me right on top of the head (you know...on the soft spot). I think I scared my neighbors away that day I was swearing so loud. Needless to say my car now has hood struts.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s

So I pushed it up to 110,
That flathead motor was about to give in,
I crossed my fingers and prayed to the lord,
Don't let me down you fuct up ford!"

"5-Oh Ford" by The Reverend Horton Heat
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 12:13 PM   #11
srv1
Get down.....

Cool

dude you made me laugh! im sorry, but the whole situation was funny. im not directly laughing at you getting hurt, thats not funny. i know, cause i was at work on the leg of a foldable cherry picker fell on my head!! it gushed just like your did. about 18 stitches i think.....hmmmm cant really remember, wonder why?hmmmm..i dunno know. but anyways, i hear ya!

-----------------------------
90 LX Black on Black
Flowbabies, h pipe, Mac unequals shorties, Hurst, K&N, 3.55's, lowered, subframes, MSD coil and 99 Cobra's w/ 245/45/17's that dont fit
srv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 02:00 PM   #12
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Good topic. It's always fun to discuss the scars of battle

Well, how's it healing withamc?

I have a story to add, though it's not from working on my car. I was at work deburring a part with a deburr knife. If you haven't seen one it's a handle with a small "S" shaped blade sticking out of it. I was using one to rip this huge burr off of a part and slipped and hit the palm of my hand just below my thumb. It left a small scratch but hurt like hell. When I finished the next part and deburred it I tried not to do that again, but somehow I did. That time it laid my hand open and left a gash 1" long by 1/2" deep into my hand. It was the worst cut I had ever had next to the "finger meets jointer" incident and "vein hanging out of foot" wound LOL.

We don't have a supervisor at work so we called the owners and one one of them came back and made me go get stitched up. That was the first time I got stitches and could watch them thread the needle

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 12:03 PM   #13
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

One rule I have made when laying under my car for whatever reason is to wear my safety glasses with side shields. Well, being a chemistry graduate, I feel bad sometimes even cooking a pot of noodles without safety glasses.

-------------------------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 01:44 PM   #14
Coupe Devil

I was helping a buddy work on this old junk tractor he bought, he wanted to look everything over before he cranked it to make sure it wouldnt explode or something. We checked the ENTIRE thing out, or so I thought. He said he wanted to pull the pan and check the bearings. No problem. We get to unbolting the pan (which is Cast Iron because it is part of the frames structure) and get all the bolts out. It wont come off. About 40 years of gasket sealer had just gotten hardand it did not want to let go. Granted this pan weighs about 40 pounds. We start driving screw drivers between the pan and block until it finally comes off, onto my buddies head.
I would say it would have been a close race of profanity UNIT. It gave him 20 something stitches above the right eye, nearly a broken nose, cut his head and ear up pretty bad and he couldnt see out that eye for about a month. His hole head swelled up, I thought it was very funny. He failed to find the humor in it.

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), 89' 4banger in prep for all out drag car. Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 4.10's, summit rear cover. Future Mods granatelli lift bars, bbk uppers, Flex-a-lite elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, holley 650 d.p., built c-4 or c-6, e-303, 10 inch wheels in the back with slicks, skinnies up front, pulleys, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, custom headers, rear seat delete, aftermarket front seats, roll cage
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 04:38 PM   #15
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Angry

Anyone ever drop a socket or a ratchet on one of their teeth? I've done it a couple times, not reccommended!

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B&M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 12:15 AM   #16
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Quote:
Originally posted by red82gt:
Anyone ever drop a socket or a ratchet on one of their teeth? I've done it a couple times, not reccommended!

OUCH!!! That makes me shiver thinking of it!

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 08:05 PM   #17
KidNotch4793
Registered Member

My dad tells a story of working on his 87 Dodge Omni. He was doing the front brakes. I don't remember the details but somehow he managed to tear the nail off his index finger. He came in with his finger wrapped in paper towels and called his sister (the nurse) to find out what to do. She told him to clean it off with alcohal and bandage it up. I think took about a month for it to grow back.

------------------
KidNotch4793
1993 LX 5.0 Notchback
Eddlebrock intake,K&N, 70mm,March Underdrive pullies, Jacobson ignition,Superchip, Borla,3:73's, Kenny Brown Subframe connectors, Hurst shifter, Centerforce, Saleen Wing, Cobra Badges.
KidNotch4793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 02:08 AM   #18
1965GTO
Registered Member

There is a tool made to install drum brake springs. It works real good, use it.
1965GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 09:39 AM   #19
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I did a really stupid thing just the other night myself. I was fairly drunk and went outside to got to the bathroom. I was standing on a wall and i started to fall of off the wall. Well in my moment of birliance I grabbed a hold of the barbed wire with boths hands. When i realized what i had done I let go and ended up falling of the wall anyway and landing on my elbow and swelling it up pretty bad with both my hands covered in blood. Watch out for those damn korean drinks.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 01:33 PM   #20
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1965GTO:
There is a tool made to install drum brake springs. It works real good, use it.
Really? Do ya think? I actually had access to one, 4 years ago when this happened. It was just inside the garage in a toolbox, buried in the 427's corner and I didn't feel like hunting it down.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote