Thread: Bankruptcy
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2002, 08:42 AM   #10
scott93gt
Registered Member

I would encourage you to look up the local chapter of Consumer Credit Counseling Services (CCCS). This is a nonprofit organization that works with your creditors to 1) reduce your interest rate, 2) set a monthly payment that you can afford and 3) help you get out of debt without bancruptcy. Don't be fooled by alot of "imitation" credit counceling services, because they will charge you to do the same thing CCCS will do for free. CCCS is supported by the credit card companies.
You will be required to do some things to enter the program:
1. Take ALL your bills and credit cards with you to the counselor.
2. They will cut up your credit cards and establish the single amount of payment you will pay to CCCS monthly.
3. Send this amount by money order only payable to CCCS and they will distribute the money to the various creditors. Once one account is paid they will take the amount that was ging to that bill and apply it to the next lowest bill. In other words, you pay the same amount each month til all your bills are paid.

Your credit file will then reflect each of the bills as being "managed by a credit management service". They will also be reflected as "closed account by subscriber". This is much better on your credit report than "BANCRUPTCY".

I have been through this some ten years ago (divorce and lay off from my job). It wasn't easy but I got out of debt and I have restored my credit to A+ rating. It is worth looking into anyway. I hope this helps.
5 speed, Hurst Competition Plus, 3 chamber Flows, 3.08's.

2010 VW GTI 2dr 6MT
(no pictures yet)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
scott93gt is offline   Reply With Quote