MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-02-2001, 12:01 AM   #1
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Post The BC$

What happened?

Wasn't the BCS suposed to help resolve the ranking issues in college football? Wasn't it suposed to give a better picture of how teams actually compare to each other? To make it more "fair"?

VA Tech, my school, despite its 5th place ranking, got left out in the cold. In its place, Notre Dame, which is clearly out matched by OSU. Why? Money. OSU deserved to be there. Notre Dame didn't.

How is the top 5, or even a clear national champion going to be determined? What happens if FSU just edges out OU and Miami slaughters Florida, both of which could quite easily happen. Also, what about the rest of the top 5? Washington defeated Purdue fairly easily, VA Tech proved a Vick is much better then a Woody, and The Ducks kicked the whiskey out of the Irish. But all these games were lopsided from the beginning. How do you compare, say OSU to VA Tech?

The BCS is a buisness, but if all its decisions are based entirely on money, then doesn't that defeat the purpose for which is was conceived?

------------------
AIM: Some97Snake
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 12:42 AM   #2
fixer
Registered Member

well now wait just a minute there.....

in my view the BCS is still better than the old days of spinning the bottle and speculation determing the nat'l champ.

but it needs revision- clearly.

i think strength of schedule should be a more important factor. Also, there should be a playoff system set in place.

the OK and FSU game is the nat championship by virtue of OK being undef.

but Miami is a strong contender as is Oregon state and washington (Washington beat Miami as I recall).

so now, pundits all sit and speculate about who really is the nat champ- something the bcs attempted to resolve.

oh well at leasts its fun to argue the point!
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 01:10 AM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Miami beat FSU, Washington beat Miami, Oregon beat Washington, Wisconsin beat Oregon, Purdue beat Wisconsin, Penn State beat Purdue, Pittsburg beat Penn State, Syracuse beat Pittsburg, Cincinnati beat Syracuse, Marshall beat Cincinnati, Toledo beat Marshall, Western Michigan beat Toledo, Central Michigan beat Western Michigan, and Wyoming beat Central Michigan.

Therefore it is my belief that Wyoming, with its record of 1-10 should be going to that national championship.

------------------
AIM: Some97Snake

[This message has been edited by 97snakedriver (edited 01-02-2001).]
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 08:29 PM   #4
teal93LX
Registered Member

i agree with 97 snake...but really, they need a playoff system..thats the only way to go.

GO CANES!!!!

------------------
stock aod (only mod is the .38 with hollows on the passenger seat for the jackers) waiting for relatives to die for money for mods...
teal93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 08:49 PM   #5
91Saleen
Registered Member

Cool

GO SOONERS!!!!!
Sorry, had to say it, Jim.
91Saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 11:24 PM   #6
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

I agree there needs to be a playoff system so there is a clear winner determined on the field and not by writers, coaches, or computers.

The BCS and the polls both suck. In 1997 Michigan and Nebraska shared the National championship and I would have loved to see the Wolverines beat the piss out of the Cornhuskers in a playoff game. The only reason Nebraska was named co-champs is because the coach's poll was giving Tom Osborne a retirement present.

Yeah I guess I'm still a little bitter.

Oh well, GO BLUE!!!

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, March pulleys, 3-chamber(the left one fell off-NO time+No Money=College), FMS c-springs, and KYBs
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 11:28 AM   #7
cleangreenmachine

Ahh, crap...we've got a Michigan fan here

How about during the 1994-95 season, when Penn State went undefeated and was declared #2 in the polls while Nebraska (also undefeated) was ranked #1?!? PSU didn't even get a chance to go up against Nebraska in a bowl to see who was the better team! In this situation, the BCS would've helped resolve some issues.

I agree the system is far from perfect, but the one thing the BCS has above the polls is that it at least makes an attempt to be objective by putting characteristics of the teams into a measureable form.

Also think a playoff system would be nice, but it would have to be short because Spring semester usually starts in the middle of January. There would still need to be some kind of ranking system to determine who gets into the playoffs, just by virtue of the huge number of Division 1 football programs out there. It's not as simple as just taking each conference champion, because some conferences (Big 10, Big 12, SEC) are obviously stronger than others (like Conference USA or the WAC).

By the way, after that bunk 1994-95 season Penn state was named national champs by the New York Times. Doesn't really mean anything, but we're fiercely proud of it.

Go Blue...and White!

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible
Old 01-03-2001, 03:21 PM   #8
88GT5.013.02

Talking

I agree that there needs to be a playoff system. Right now it just seems like any team could be number 1. Anyone can be beaten at any time, and that is why there should be a playoff.

They should do something like college basketball, except with 16 or so teams. Whoever wins is KING OF THE HILL.

BTW there are two MICHIGAN FANS HERE . I agree MTU I would have loved to see MI stomp the diarrhea (spelling ?) mouth cornhuskers.
They talked way too much trash to have played some pretty mediocre (sp ?) teams. Give the victory to MI.

I agree with you clean about PS, I love the BIG TEN conference. By far the roughest and toughest. The competition is awesome.

Oh yeah...GO BLUE.

------------------
88GT stock shortblock, ported GT-40 iron heads, ported Edlebrock Performer intake, 24# inj, Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAM, 3.73, hurst short throw, F-303, electric fan, alum rad, FMS HD clutch, R134a ac conversion, 70mm TB , and some other stuff I probably forgot, best run so far on ET streets is 13.02@106 with a 1.87 60ft.
Old 01-03-2001, 03:47 PM   #9
tom351

Go Blue!

------------------
67 Fastback - Arctic White Pearl paint
351W 415 hp, Trick Flow Alum. Heads, C-4 Trans, 3.55 gears, Front Disc Brakes, 1-1/8" Fr. 3/4" rear sway bars.

Old 01-03-2001, 04:30 PM   #10
Jaydee
Registered Member

A true playoff system (ladder system, top 8 play off until only one is standing?)is the only real way to determine a true champion. The reality is we will never lose the bowl game setup - its to deeply entrenched and more importantly, with all of the corporate involvment etc., generates huge dollars not only for the schools, but for many, many others who you never hear about.
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 04:53 PM   #11
dirtyGT
Registered Member

I think they should do a 1 game elimnation just like basketball because it's crap how it works i know a few years ago nebraska and penn state were both undefeated but nebraska won it how can this be?Ranking doesn't mean crap anyways

------------------
86GT-MACcatback-89heads,intake,TB,KENNYBROWNsubs,3.73's,HURST shifter,much more to come
dirtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 06:05 PM   #12
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I too agree with the playoff even though it will never happen to much money in bowl games. The match ups this year in some of the bowl games where really sad. osu should not of been playing the irish, miami vs. florida was a joke plus washington vs purdue. All these teams where over matched and should have played each other with virgina tech somewhere in there it would have made for better games.
Well if ou wins it dosen't matter and they clearly should be the national champs. Look at the way nebraska and kansas st. whiped up in there bowl games both teams which got whiped by ou.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: