View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 09:23 PM   #12
mustardjohn
Registered Member

I have found through experience that one thing they won't do is hang up on you on the phone as long as you are civil. Of course it does cost you time. I have obtained warranty repairs after the warranty was over by several 1000 miles just through persistence and long pauses on the telephone at the end of which I would say I am still not happy who can I talk to that can help me. After several levels of supervisors I have usually found some one willing and able to "plea bargin". For example Ford pays for the parts I pay the labor.

You are right the warranty is not what it seems and must be "worked" to get justice. I think "they" do care but many people you talk to are not authorized to deal. They are given a set position and limited flexibility.

Many customer service departments are run this way. Ours for example does not allow the person you get on the first call level to quote anything but list price. We do, however, sell off list but you have to get past the first level. Typically this means you have something of value like volume purchase or history of past sales, etc.

In a perfect world this would not be necessary.