View Single Post
Old 08-24-2001, 11:11 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Wink

Best moment in my 'Stang?

Many, of course, but since I bought it brand new, the day I picked it up and drove it off the lot for the very first time has to stand out in my mind, and it does.

March 23, 1990.

It wasn't my first new car, but it was - and remains - my best new car.
I remember the 'new car smell', the sweet sound of the purring 5.0 and the burble of the duel exhaust when I cranked it up. The feel of the clutch (smooth and surprisingly light) and the shifter (a joke, as my prior car - a Camaro - had a Hurst. The ease with which I burned rubber (I ordered the optional 3.08 rear, which helped) and the solid feel of the tight new body and V-rated rubber on the curves. I knew this was a great car for $13,600, and I owned it!

An exciting ride home and an even better time when I brought it down to my local garage (my hangout) for the inspection, admiration and well-wishes of my car-nut buddies.
They loved it, and these guys drove cars like a Buick GN, a late-model 'Vette and other assorted muscle cars, so they weren't easily impressed.

I probably smiled for three days following my taking delivery of my '90 LX hatchback.
I've had some great races and some fun rides and trips in the eleven years since then, and I look forward to many more with my 'old friend'.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote