MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2003, 12:45 AM   #1
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Default The big boy got his orders today

My son called this morning to tell us he saw President Bush this morning. He was pumped about that. He also got his orders today. Miramar Naval Air Station. 29MAG, HMH 466. Right now the unit is deployed for 6 months in Okinawa. .after that, anybody's guess.
Question for you California folks. If you are not a permanent resident of California, does your car have to pass the smog test? I think i know the answer but I gotta ask.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:53 AM   #2
CADreamin
Registered Member

He shouldn't be subject to CA smog if he keeps the car registered in his home state (Texas, I assume...). No CA registration = No CA smog requirement. Make sure, though, that he keeps his license and plates from his home state valid and does not let them lapse while he is stationed in CA.

Many home states waive smog requirements if the owner is in the military stationed in another state, as well.

My little sister is stationed at Fort Irwin in southern California. She kept her PA license and plates and was able to renew everything by mail. While she is stationed in CA, she is exempt from PA smog and inspection requirements.

The following clauses of the CA Vehicle Code may help you:

Exemption of Person in Military Service and Spouse

6701. (a) Any nonresident owner of a vehicle registered in a foreign state who is a member or spouse of a member of the armed forces of the United States on active duty within this state, and any resident owner of a vehicle registered in a foreign state who is a member or spouse of a member of the armed forces of the United States returning from active duty in a foreign state, may operate the vehicle in this state without securing California registration after satisfying all of the following requirements:

(1) The license plates displayed on the vehicle are valid plates issued by a foreign jurisdiction.

(2) The vehicle registration and license plates are issued to the military person or spouse of the military person.

(3) The vehicle registration and license plates were issued by the foreign jurisdiction where the military person was last regularly assigned and stationed for duty by military orders or a jurisdiction claimed by the nonresident military person as the permanent state of residence.

(4) If the vehicle is a motor vehicle, the owner or driver has in force one of the forms of financial responsibility specified in Section 16021.

(b) For purposes of paragraph (3) of subdivision (a), military orders do not include military orders for leave, for temporary duty, or for any other assignment of any nature requiring the military person's presence outside the foreign jurisdiction where the owner was regularly assigned and stationed for duty.

(c) This section applies to all vehicles owned by the military person or spouse except any commercial vehicle used in any business manner wherein the military person or spouse receives compensation.

The California DMV is on the web at http://www.dmv.ca.gov. They also have a 1-800 number but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got some time to kill!

Hope this information helps and give your son my best wishes for a safe return home...

98 Mustang GT Coupe

Last edited by CADreamin; 04-04-2003 at 09:03 AM..
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:40 PM   #3
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Wow! Thanks for the information. I know this will make him happy. There's no way this thing will pass any sniffer.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:13 AM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

FWIW, Mirimar is about 45 minutes from some of the best beaches in San Diego county.

And when he wants to hit the track, let me know, and I'll buy his first pass for Carlsbad. It's between 45-60 min from Mirimar, and real kick back.

When's he shipping out?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:35 PM   #5
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. He ships out from North Carolina sometime in May but he has a couple of weeks leave before he reports. It's really sad. . he wants to go to Iraq where a lot of his buddies are. We don't tell Mom about this of course. Here's to hoping for a quick end to the war. . . a victorious one but a quick one.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:28 PM   #6
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Hey, Fort Irwin ...... that's where I'm stationed currently.

Everything listed earlier is accurate.

Tell him welcome and enjoy the So Cal lifestyle.

Plenty of mustang folks out here.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 10:05 PM   #7
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I don't care if I move to Alaska, I'm keeping the stang registered here in West Texas.

Good luck to your son. By any chance, were you out at the track in Amarillo last weekend?

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 10:29 PM   #8
MEDIK418
Registered Member

We went to the track the 23rd. I've been putting a new auburn diff and fluidamper on it since then. The youngest boy was there today with the Green thing but I don't think he ran it. I've had to work both weekends since.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:00 AM   #9
CADreamin
Registered Member

I should add that your would probably do well to contact the Texas DMV (or whatever his home state is) to see what he needs to do to get his paperwork in order before he ships out. They may give some special consideration to folks in the military.

Again, good luck to him...

98 Mustang GT Coupe
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:29 PM   #10
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Miramar is like 15 minutes from me hehe.
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote