MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Bill Ford gives up CEO job, hands it over to ex-Boeing President.

Big news for the company that is just crossing... Alan Mulally is named as Ford's new CEO.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../1014/BUSINESS

Last edited by Phillyfanfrombirth; 09-05-2006 at 04:03 PM..
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Post Re: Bill Ford gives up CEO job, hands it over to ex-Boeing President.

This means that Bill Ford just didn't see a 'light at the end of the tunnel' for his company, despite his best efforts, and basically wanted someone else to try (and to blame). Now, Bill and his board can hold Alan Mullally accountable if things get worse and, if they improve, Bill Ford will be praised for having the 'foresight' to hire Alan Mulally from Boeing. It's a clever corporate move by Bill Ford. It's also transparent.

I wish Alan Mulally (and Ford) well - but I wouldn't want his (new) job.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: Bill Ford gives up CEO job, hands it over to ex-Boeing President.

Mulally has a great record...

Bill Ford, doesn't.

Ford, the company, needs to separate itself from Ford, the family. So long as the Ford family allows this guy to do what he needs to do, he'll be alright. If they think that he's going to be a puppet, it's a wasted opportunity and one that Mulally won't sit around for.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

As somebody that works with high level executives, I can guarantee you that Mr. Mulally has in depth knowledge of Ford's financial situation and technical capability. No executive at that level would move into a company they didn't feel was viable. This move has likely been coming for several months.

That being said, Mulally may not have the same vision for Ford that Bill Ford did, and his view of what Ford should be will likely result in significant changes to Ford's global image. Jaguar remains a prime target to be shut down and dismantled. It's been a huge money pit for Ford, and Mulally likely doesn't have nearly the emotional attachment to projects that Ford does/did.

As far as not envying his position, Mulally will receive the credit for turning Ford around, if he is able to, and Bill Ford would then likely be noted as a failed CEO that knew he couldn't save the troubled company. If Ford faulters, Mulally will likely be noted as the CEO that couldn't undo the massive strategic mistakes made by decades of mis-management by top executives at the Blue Oval.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Capri306

Heh, now they're taking turns on the bucket brigade? This is going to be funny. However, given Jr.'s performance since assuming the CEO title, I'm sure most shareholders want to shout, "'bout fr!ggin' time!!!"

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:21 AM   #6
rmays06
may's06

Plus he can spend more time with the lions.....LOLOLOLOL
rmays06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Post Re: Bill Ford gives up CEO job, hands it over to ex-Boeing President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 5302

As somebody that works with high level executives, I can guarantee you that Mr. Mulally has in depth knowledge of Ford's financial situation and technical capability. No executive at that level would move into a company they didn't feel was viable. This move has likely been coming for several months.

That being said, Mulally may not have the same vision for Ford that Bill Ford did, and his view of what Ford should be will likely result in significant changes to Ford's global image. Jaguar remains a prime target to be shut down and dismantled. It's been a huge money pit for Ford, and Mulally likely doesn't have nearly the emotional attachment to projects that Ford does/did.
I'm sure the hiring of Mulally was not entirely spontaneous.

I agree that the Jaguar division has to go. It's a loser.

Quote:
As far as not envying his position, Mulally will receive the credit for turning Ford around, if he is able to, and Bill Ford would then likely be noted as a failed CEO that knew he couldn't save the troubled company.
Sure, Bill Ford will just roll over and give an 'outsider' all the credit for pulling Ford out of the swamp. I'll believe that when I see it happen.

Alan Mulally is 61 and that gives him 4 years to 'make good' at Ford before his retirement. If he doesn't, he'll likely be, oh-so-obliquely, called a 'disappointment', receive lots of praise for trying (along with a golden parachute) and then, go quietly into that good corporate night. If Mulally does pull the Ford bacon out of the financial fire, greener pastures or a lucrative consulting business will beckon as soon as he hits the big six five. This is not too difficult a scenario to envision.

Quote:
If Ford faulters, Mulally will likely be noted as the CEO that couldn't undo the massive strategic mistakes made by decades of mis-management by top executives at the Blue Oval.
Objective observers may take that view but the Ford family (including Bill) will blame Mulally, not the board or past mis-management, overseen for decades by the Ford family. Few will be convinced that CEO-come-lately Mulally was really the cause of further Ford failures but he'll be a handy excuse for Bill (and his board) to lay blame on. No Ford family member, with their long-nurtured sense of entitlement, is going to take blame for the company's failure when there is an 'outsider' to put it on. Enter Alan Mullally.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

While you may be right about Ford trying to blame Mulally if things fail, that only works if somebody is willing to listen. The Ford family doesn't exactly have a lot of support around the country or even in their home town these days, let alone that of analysts.

i.e. OJ Simpson may claim to be innocent...
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
84LX89GT
Mustangs

it's hard not to do worse than bill ford has done, all the redesigned jaguars (ford-uars) are crap (XJ still ok, but X and S type....yuck), all the new fords are crap except mustang, crown vic and super duty....just my opinion, i just don't like the stuff ford is pushing nowdays. crossovers, front wheel drive SUV's, front wheel drives in general = garbage.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: