View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Post Re: Bill Ford gives up CEO job, hands it over to ex-Boeing President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 5302

As somebody that works with high level executives, I can guarantee you that Mr. Mulally has in depth knowledge of Ford's financial situation and technical capability. No executive at that level would move into a company they didn't feel was viable. This move has likely been coming for several months.

That being said, Mulally may not have the same vision for Ford that Bill Ford did, and his view of what Ford should be will likely result in significant changes to Ford's global image. Jaguar remains a prime target to be shut down and dismantled. It's been a huge money pit for Ford, and Mulally likely doesn't have nearly the emotional attachment to projects that Ford does/did.
I'm sure the hiring of Mulally was not entirely spontaneous.

I agree that the Jaguar division has to go. It's a loser.

Quote:
As far as not envying his position, Mulally will receive the credit for turning Ford around, if he is able to, and Bill Ford would then likely be noted as a failed CEO that knew he couldn't save the troubled company.
Sure, Bill Ford will just roll over and give an 'outsider' all the credit for pulling Ford out of the swamp. I'll believe that when I see it happen.

Alan Mulally is 61 and that gives him 4 years to 'make good' at Ford before his retirement. If he doesn't, he'll likely be, oh-so-obliquely, called a 'disappointment', receive lots of praise for trying (along with a golden parachute) and then, go quietly into that good corporate night. If Mulally does pull the Ford bacon out of the financial fire, greener pastures or a lucrative consulting business will beckon as soon as he hits the big six five. This is not too difficult a scenario to envision.

Quote:
If Ford faulters, Mulally will likely be noted as the CEO that couldn't undo the massive strategic mistakes made by decades of mis-management by top executives at the Blue Oval.
Objective observers may take that view but the Ford family (including Bill) will blame Mulally, not the board or past mis-management, overseen for decades by the Ford family. Few will be convinced that CEO-come-lately Mulally was really the cause of further Ford failures but he'll be a handy excuse for Bill (and his board) to lay blame on. No Ford family member, with their long-nurtured sense of entitlement, is going to take blame for the company's failure when there is an 'outsider' to put it on. Enter Alan Mullally.