MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
flame311
Registered Member

Default Bought a 1996 V6 2 Door Coupe Turbocharged Mustang, what should I know?

My name is Jacob, I just bought a 1996 2 door coupe V6 Ford Mustang that happens to be Turbocharged. I don't know the previous owner, because I bought the car from a dealership...it was a trade-in. The car is turbocharged, although I do not know what kind of turbocharge, I'm not gifted in automobile knowledge.

I was just wanting to ask people who know these cars, if there is anything in particular I should be aware of?

I've read a couple things, such as that I should leave the car in park for a minute before shutting the engine off, etc. But is there any other kind of special maintenance that needs to be done? Should I be concerned that a car with 72000 miles is Turbocharged, does it tear the engine up faster? Any special oil I should use? Anything I need to know?

Please help a new Ford owner, thank you!
flame311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Re: Bought a 1996 V6 2 Door Coupe Turbocharged Mustang, what should I know?

I'm no expert on turbos but I'll tell you what I can to get you started. The brand name of the turbocharger should be on the unit. It's usually very visible. Once you have that - and, hopefully, a model number - you should be able to Goggle it and find out the specifications for the unit you have. There really aren't that many companies making turbos for the 3.8 engine, anyway.

Basically, a smaller turbocharger is best for low-end, around town driving and a larger unit is more impressive at high speeds and the track. Either way, a turbocharger gives your Mustang a lot more power than stock, even in a 6-cylinder model. A blow-off valve and a boost control unit are items you should have and if the turbocharger is putting out over 4.4psi, you should be running an intercooler. A larger, 'true' dual exhaust system and bigger fuel injectors are also common modifications with a turbo. Your Mustang may already have these upgrades. Synthetic oil - and only synthetic oil is a must and should be changed at regular service intervals.

At 72,000 miles, yes, the turbo may have prematurely 'aged' the V-6, depending on how much boost it puts out, how long it was in the car and hard the car was driven. In fact, almost any serious engine performance part will 'age' an engine to some degree. That is the trade-off for the extra power and the fun of having a fast V-6 Mustang. Frankly, considering the inherent problems a poorly installed turbocharger could cause, I'm a bit surprised a dealer even bothered with this car. I would have passed on it if I didn't know the facts about the turbo and who installed it and when. However, since you now own it, I would make an attempt to locate the previous owner (you did run a CarFax on it, didn't you?) and find out what you can about the length of time the turbo was in the car and so on.

Best of luck with your Mustang.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
2000saleen
Registered Member

Default Re: Bought a 1996 V6 2 Door Coupe Turbocharged Mustang, what should I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame311
My name is Jacob, I just bought a 1996 2 door coupe V6 Ford Mustang that happens to be Turbocharged. I don't know the previous owner, because I bought the car from a dealership...it was a trade-in. The car is turbocharged, although I do not know what kind of turbocharge, I'm not gifted in automobile knowledge.

I was just wanting to ask people who know these cars, if there is anything in particular I should be aware of?

I've read a couple things, such as that I should leave the car in park for a minute before shutting the engine off, etc. But is there any other kind of special maintenance that needs to be done? Should I be concerned that a car with 72000 miles is Turbocharged, does it tear the engine up faster? Any special oil I should use? Anything I need to know?

Please help a new Ford owner, thank you!
hey man first of all you should buy a turbo timer for it, it makes the car run for about 10-15 minutes after you shut it off, thus allowing the turbo to cool down and improving the life of it. also i would recommend mobil 1 synthetic oil, i'm had 3 mustangs a 89 gt, a 97 cobra, and a 02' gt and not had a problem with any of them while using mobil 1 synthetic (5w-30)
2000saleen is offline   Reply With Quote