View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: Bought my first motorcycle....holy crap!

The Hayabusa definitely has love it/hate it styling (I'm the latter ) but you can't argue it's performance.

It's a lot longer than the 1000cc bikes, which makes it a little more docile while maintaining insane acceleration. The extra length also makes them more comfortable to ride.

Make sure you keep your head in the game though, the bike CAN do a roll on wheelie at 100mph+. For those of you not familiar with the term, it means you're just on the throttle. No clutch dropping or anything fancy. The front wheel just starts coming up off the ground. I ride pretty close up to the tank (more comfortable for me) on my 2 600s, and I've only encountered the roll on a couple times. It's actually a little distressing when the front wheel starts coming up when you're not expecting it, lol. The first time on the FZR was while I was coming out of a hard right hander (while I was still turning) and the second time was just after a dip on after crossing some railroad tracks.

The advice I can give.

Respect the bike, but trust it. You've chosen one of the quickest and most powerful motorcycles in the world as your starter street bike (usually a very poor choice), and having a motorcycle with the kind of power yours has can get you into deadly trouble in just a couple seconds. Make sure you still trust it though, they're more stable and sticky than you might think, and extreme maneuvers when unecessary can get you into as much trouble as pushing the envelope.

Ride within your limits because just when you think you know how far you can take things, something unexpected happens.

Get ALL the protective gear and WEAR it. I use the Phoenix set from Joe Rocket because I want something to keep me cool, was quick to put on, comfortable, and relatively inexpensive. I wear a full face helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, and boots that cover my ankles in addition to the pants which also cover them. Roethisberger would have walked away from his accident in all likelyhood if he had been wearing a full face. Protective gear not only saves lives, but faces and jobs. You might live after sliding along the pavement at 50mph with no gear, but you might rather you didn't.

Take a riding course. You might be a natural, but thoughts are a low slower than trained instincts.

Keep the shiny side up.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote